Canon A60 vs A70 vs A80 and quality CCD's

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Morgan Ohlson, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Reasently saw a test here in Skandinavia. Canon A60 took a lead in picture
    quality towards a bunch of (~10) 3Mpix cameras.

    Sec'd best picture quality was Casio Exilim.
    (Nikon cp3100, and A70 was not in the test)

    Since the Casio takes good pictures (actually better then the Pentax sibling
    with the same lense) the A60 was ranked in line with Canon Powershot S50 and
    Minolta Dimage F300 (both at the double price) Aproximated towards another
    test where also the Casio was in.

    This pinpoints, according to my logics that
    a) the quality of the CCD makes a hell of a difference (hard to verbalize
    though)
    b) The value of high Mpix is over eastimated.
    c) The need for HiQ CCD's and appropriate optics compared to the Mpix is
    valued to low of most people.

    1. Is really a70 better, compared to a60... is maybee the a60 the bargin of
    2003!?

    2. How does A80 compare to A70? Is it really better or not? Is it only a
    fake show-off in higher Mpix?

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Morgan Ohlson

    gr Guest

    "Morgan Ohlson" <> wrote

    > This pinpoints, according to my logics that
    > a) the quality of the CCD makes a hell of a difference (hard to verbalize
    > though)

    More likely, the quality of the lens and the alignment of the optics and CCD
    makes a hell of a difference.

    > b) The value of high Mpix is over eastimated.

    Not if you're going to print images larger than 8x10". You need more pixels
    to maintain a crisp print. However, if you're going to view the prints from
    a few feet away, it doesn't really make a difference.

    > c) The need for HiQ CCD's and appropriate optics compared to the Mpix is
    > valued to low of most people.

    Marketing. Luckily, with more megapixels comes a higher price and *usually*
    better optics, design, and durability. That's true for the name-brand camera
    manufacturers. The others (like the Casios) will throw together any cheap
    junk. Quality control is likely poor, and who knows if the camera will even
    work for more than a few months.

    I like Casio for cheap electronic stuff, but I consider them disposable
    gadgets. I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars on no-name electronics.

    > 1. Is really a70 better, compared to a60

    Yes.

    .... is maybee the a60 the bargin of 2003!?

    Sure, why not?

    > 2. How does A80 compare to A70? Is it really better or not? Is it only a
    > fake show-off in higher Mpix?

    The A80 is better in some regards, but it's not a replacement for the A70
    (which does some things better).

    gr, Sep 17, 2003

  3. "Morgan Ohlson" <> writes:

    >1. Is really a70 better, compared to a60... is maybee the a60 the bargin of
    >2003!?

    The A70 has more pixels, and should be higher resolution if that's
    important to you. The A60 has fewer and thus larger pixels in the same
    size sensor, so the images should be a bit lower noise, if that's
    important to you.

    >2. How does A80 compare to A70? Is it really better or not? Is it only a
    >fake show-off in higher Mpix?

    The A80 is really not just an A70 successor. It has a considerably
    larger CCD, the same as the S400 and the G3, so it should be lower
    noise at the same time as having more pixels. It also has the
    flip/twist LCD of the G3/G5, which the A60 and A70 lack.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Sep 17, 2003
  4. I presume that you have never owned a Casio camera.

    Assuming that this is the case, I just wonder how you are able to make such
    statements.

    I have had my QV3000 (3 MP) camera for three years and I am no hurry to
    replace it.

    Dick Campbell

    Dick Campbell, Sep 17, 2003
  5. "gr" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Morgan Ohlson" <> wrote
    > >
    > > This pinpoints, according to my logics that
    > > a) the quality of the CCD makes a hell of a difference (hard to

    verbalize
    > > though)

    > More likely, the quality of the lens and the alignment of the optics and

    CCD
    > makes a hell of a difference.
    >
    > > b) The value of high Mpix is over eastimated.

    > Not if you're going to print images larger than 8x10". You need more

    pixels
    > to maintain a crisp print.

    What "crisp" ????

    Where do you get crisp from when the lense and quality of CCD's doesn't
    allow any "crisp"?

    Well, you buy high Mpix, and I buy the best picture.

    >However, if you're going to view the prints from
    > a few feet away, it doesn't really make a difference.
    >
    > > c) The need for HiQ CCD's and appropriate optics compared to the Mpix is
    > > valued to low of most people.

    > Marketing. Luckily, with more megapixels comes a higher price and

    *usually*
    > better optics, design, and durability.

    How "usually", according to your research?

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Sep 18, 2003
  6. "Dave Martindale" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Morgan Ohlson" <> writes:
    >
    > >1. Is really a70 better, compared to a60... is maybee the a60 the bargin

    of
    > >2003!?

    > The A70 has more pixels, and should be higher resolution if that's
    > important to you. The A60 has fewer and thus larger pixels in the same
    > size sensor, so the images should be a bit lower noise, if that's
    > important to you.
    >
    > >2. How does A80 compare to A70? Is it really better or not? Is it only a
    > >fake show-off in higher Mpix?

    > The A80 is really not just an A70 successor. It has a considerably
    > larger CCD,

    Are you refering to larger as Mpix or physical size (mm's) ?

    >the same as the S400 and the G3, so it should be lower
    > noise at the same time as having more pixels. It also has the
    > flip/twist LCD of the G3/G5, which the A60 and A70 lack.

    Do I understand you correctly when I think you're saying that a phisical
    large CCD, that allow every pixel to be large also gives higher quality
    (less digital noise) ?

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Sep 19, 2003