Canon A60 controversial timings

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rado bladteth Rzeznicki, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    When I visited http://www.imaging-resource.com, I was puzzled by
    huge differences in timings between A60 and A70, both having the same
    lenses and Digic processor. I have grabbed my stopwatch and measured
    my A60 timings. Here are the results.

    Turning on/off:

    Off -> capture mode - 2.85 s (*)
    Off -> review mode - 1.45 s (*)
    Capture mode (wide) -> off - 1.9 s
    Capture mode (tele) -> off - 3.05 s
    Review mode -> off - 0.45 s

    (*) 0.6 s on/off button delay included.

    Review mode -> capture mode - 1.65 s
    Review mode -> 10x magnification - 0.8 s
    Review -> 3x3 thumbnails - 0.8 s

    Zoom:

    Wide -> tele - 1.5 s
    Tele -> wide - 1.65 s

    Shutter lag:

    From halfpressed (prefocussed) - 0.05 s
    Wide - 0.85 s
    Wide, macro mode - 1.05 s
    Tele - 1.3 s
    Tele, macro mode - 1.5 s

    Turning AiAF off shortens the delay by about 0.05 s.

    Continous mode:

    Between first and second frame - 0.6 s
    Between frames after second - 0.4 s (2.5 fps)
    Between frames when memory buffer is full - 0.9/1.2 s

    It is worth nentioning that size and compression settings do not change
    above values. Buffer size is 3 MB, so one can calculate the number of
    frames after which it becomes full. On average, the camera slows down
    after 6 Large/Fine, 11 Medium/Fine or 40 Small/Normal frames.

    As you can see, my measurements differ substantially from those on
    Dave's website and are very close to A70 timings. I suppose he got
    either prototype model or not fully functional A60 for testing.

    --
    Best regards,
    Rado bladteth Rzeznicki

    Rado bladteth Rzeznicki, Jan 21, 2004