    Bev
    MSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMSMS
    FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION. It comes bundled with the software.

    The Real Bev, Jul 23, 2007

  2. The Real Bev

    Dave Cohen Guest

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
    > priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough,
    > it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp. The pix from
    > my Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to return it,
    > which I plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to replace it.
    >
    > 4x zoom is nice, but 3x is plenty. So what cameras should I be looking
    > for in the under-$400 range?

    Well the A630/640 are less than $400, although a little larger but I
    doubt there's much difference in the lens. Canon make a good camera and
    their lenses shouldn't be noticeably poor. I would search for comparison
    reviews, maybe you have a non typical sample.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jul 23, 2007

  3. The Real Bev

    Bruce. Guest

    "The Real Bev" <> wrote in message
    >I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
    >priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough,
    >it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp. The pix from my
    >Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to return it, which I
    >plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to replace it.

    Canon is somewhat known for taking softer pictures (as in unoversharpened),
    but I own a 710 IS and I've been very happy with the several thousand
    pictures I've taken with it.

    Bruce.

    Bruce., Jul 23, 2007
  4. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
    >> priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough,
    >> it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp. The pix from
    >> my Nikon CP800 are sharper.

    I bought that camera 6.5 years ago, it's time for an upgrade even if there's
    nothing really wrong with it.

    >> I've still got two months to return it,
    >> which I plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to replace it.
    >>
    >> 4x zoom is nice, but 3x is plenty. So what cameras should I be looking
    >> for in the under-$400 range?

    > Well the A630/640 are less than $400, although a little larger but I
    > doubt there's much difference in the lens. Canon make a good camera and
    > their lenses shouldn't be noticeably poor. I would search for comparison
    > reviews, maybe you have a non typical sample.

    Friend with a Canon SD800 IS says the same thing about his. I wouldn't call
    it noticeably poor, just inadequately sharp :) I don't print, but I have a
    21" screen.

    I was looking at a Kodak Z712, but it uses proprietary batteries (non-Kodak
    spare+charger=$44) and I don't like the pop-up flash and the need for a
    separate lanscap. Moreover, there was mention of "softness" rather than
    "sharpness". OTOH, it has TWO eyelets so you can hang it around your neck
    or under your arm rather than on your wrist -- which has to be one of the
    world's dumbest ideas. And Costco sells it, which means I can return it
    easily. I feel bad doing that, but I don't see any other option.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev, Jul 23, 2007
  5. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    Bruce. wrote:

    > "The Real Bev" <> wrote:
    >>I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
    >>priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough,
    >>it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp. The pix from my
    >>Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to return it, which I
    >>plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to replace it.

    > Canon is somewhat known for taking softer pictures (as in unoversharpened),
    > but I own a 710 IS and I've been very happy with the several thousand
    > pictures I've taken with it.

    "Unoversharpened." I like that. So who's known for taken oversharpened pix?

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev, Jul 23, 2007
  6. The Real Bev

    wkasimer Guest

    On Jul 22, 7:28 pm, The Real Bev <> wrote:

    > I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter priority
    > setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough, it's got a
    > big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp.

    Have you fiddled with the default sharpness setting?

    Bill

    wkasimer, Jul 23, 2007
  7. The Real Bev

    Bob Williams Guest

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
    > priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough,
    > it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp. The pix from
    > my Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to return it,
    > which I plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to replace it.
    >
    > 4x zoom is nice, but 3x is plenty. So what cameras should I be looking
    > for in the under-$400 range?

    Canon and many others have pushed the envelope too far by trying to
    squeeze 7MP into a 1/2.5" sensor.
    The Fuji F30 is one of a very few P&S cameras to buck the trend .
    The F30 has 6MP and uses a 1/1.7" sensor. The larger pixel pitch of the
    F30 makes a difference especially in lower light situations.
    Compare images from the two cameras on Steve's Digicams.
    Look especially at the serial number on the waste container in front of
    the Red Brick building. That is a good test for image quality.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jul 23, 2007
  8. The Real Bev

    Paul Heslop Guest

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > Bruce. wrote:
    >
    > > "The Real Bev" <> wrote:
    > >>I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
    > >>priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough,
    > >>it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp. The pix from my
    > >>Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to return it, which I
    > >>plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to replace it.

    > > Canon is somewhat known for taking softer pictures (as in unoversharpened),
    > > but I own a 710 IS and I've been very happy with the several thousand
    > > pictures I've taken with it.

    > "Unoversharpened." I like that. So who's known for taken oversharpened pix?

    I'd just like a normalsharpened please :O)

    --
    Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    Stop and Look

    Paul Heslop, Jul 23, 2007
  9. The Real Bev

    Ray Paseur Guest

    The Real Bev <> wrote in

    > I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
    > priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small
    > enough, it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp.
    > The pix from my Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to
    > return it, which I plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to
    > replace it.
    >
    > 4x zoom is nice, but 3x is plenty. So what cameras should I be
    > looking for in the under-$400 range?

    You might want to consider the Canon S3 IS. Street prices are down below
    $300US because of the Canon S5 IS. It has a great zoom and has become our
    favorite "family camera" for just about every kind of event. My only
    criticisms are (1) no Camera-Raw output; (2) a little narrow at the wide
    end of the zoom (3) goofy lens cap. But its ability to capture really good
    photos in program-auto mode greatly outweighs its flaws, and it has good
    creative controls if you want to get into control of shutter and aperture.

    Ray Paseur, Jul 23, 2007
  10. The Real Bev

    King Sardon Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:13:08 GMT, Ray Paseur
    <> wrote:

    >The Real Bev <> wrote in
    >
    >> I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
    >> priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small
    >> enough, it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp.
    >> The pix from my Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to
    >> return it, which I plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to
    >> replace it.
    >>
    >> 4x zoom is nice, but 3x is plenty. So what cameras should I be
    >> looking for in the under-$400 range?
    >>

    >You might want to consider the Canon S3 IS. Street prices are down below
    >$300US because of the Canon S5 IS. It has a great zoom and has become our
    >favorite "family camera" for just about every kind of event. My only
    >criticisms are (1) no Camera-Raw output; (2) a little narrow at the wide
    >end of the zoom (3) goofy lens cap. But its ability to capture really good
    >photos in program-auto mode greatly outweighs its flaws, and it has good
    >creative controls if you want to get into control of shutter and aperture.

    But the S3 and S5 are both heavy and bulky, approaching the Rebel in
    those respects.

    KS

    King Sardon, Jul 23, 2007
  11. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    Ray Paseur wrote:

    > The Real Bev <> wrote in
    >
    >> I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter
    >> priority setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small
    >> enough, it's got a big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp.
    >> The pix from my Nikon CP800 are sharper. I've still got two months to
    >> return it, which I plan to do as soon as I figure out what I want to
    >> replace it.
    >>
    >> 4x zoom is nice, but 3x is plenty. So what cameras should I be
    >> looking for in the under-$400 range?
    >>

    > You might want to consider the Canon S3 IS. Street prices are down below
    > $300US because of the Canon S5 IS. It has a great zoom and has become our
    > favorite "family camera" for just about every kind of event. My only
    > criticisms are (1) no Camera-Raw output; (2) a little narrow at the wide
    > end of the zoom (3) goofy lens cap. But its ability to capture really good
    > photos in program-auto mode greatly outweighs its flaws, and it has good
    > creative controls if you want to get into control of shutter and aperture.

    I looked at that, but the flip-out screen killed it for me. Clumsy people
    should NEVER own items that look like they can break off easily. At this
    point I'm kind of shy about any non-DSLR Canon -- two different models with
    unsharpness is beyond coincidence...

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev, Jul 24, 2007
  12. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    wkasimer wrote:

    > On Jul 22, 7:28 pm, The Real Bev <> wrote:
    >
    >> I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter priority
    >> setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough, it's got a
    >> big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp.

    > Have you fiddled with the default sharpness setting?

    I didn't know there WAS one. OK, I downloaded the pdf manual and searched
    for 'sharpness'. Lo and behold, there it was in the 'custom color' area,
    which I had ignored (in the paper manual too) because the colors it used all
    by itself seemed OK. FEH! I hate it when they put menu choices in unlikely
    places.

    OK, I increased both sharpness and contrast and took some more pictures.
    Gotta do more tomorrow because it's dark now...

    Thanks!

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev, Jul 24, 2007
  13. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > wkasimer wrote:
    >
    >> On Jul 22, 7:28 pm, The Real Bev <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I really like this camera. It takes AA batteries, it has a shutter priority
    >>> setting, the flash is OK, the menus are OK, it's small enough, it's got a
    >>> big screen, but the pictures just aren't sharp.

    >> Have you fiddled with the default sharpness setting?

    > I didn't know there WAS one. OK, I downloaded the pdf manual and searched
    > for 'sharpness'. Lo and behold, there it was in the 'custom color' area,
    > which I had ignored (in the paper manual too) because the colors it used all
    > by itself seemed OK. FEH! I hate it when they put menu choices in unlikely
    > places.
    >
    > OK, I increased both sharpness and contrast and took some more pictures.
    > Gotta do more tomorrow because it's dark now...
    >
    > Thanks!

    One more question: Sometimes the shutter release won't work unless I
    half-click first. A simple full-click results in nothing happening at all.
    I found no mention of this in the manuals, just a few explanations of what
    DOES happen when you half-click. Is there a rule I'm missing?

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev, Jul 24, 2007
  14. The Real Bev wrote:
    []
    > One more question: Sometimes the shutter release won't work unless I
    > half-click first. A simple full-click results in nothing happening
    > at all. I found no mention of this in the manuals, just a few
    > explanations of what DOES happen when you half-click. Is there a
    > rule I'm missing?

    Usually, the half-press makes the focus and exposure measurement, and the
    full press the actual exposure itself. Use the half-press to prepare to
    take a photo, and the final full-press at the critical moment (or 1/10s
    before!).

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 24, 2007