    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

    James Silverton, Sep 8, 2012

  2. James Silverton

    me Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:51:43 -0400, James Silverton
    <> wrote:

    >My first digital point and shoot, an eight year old Nikon, has been
    >making grinding noises and I felt it was time to replace it but I did
    >want a very small pocketable camera. My impression that optical
    >viewfinders had died out in the low price range proved correct, which is
    >a problem for my old eyes. I know Canon makes a small rangefinder style
    >camera but that costs $800 or so but I was very pleased to see that the
    >Canon A1300 was available at $120. I bought one immediately and I like
    >it! It also has a screen (2.7 inch diagonal). The settings are almost
    >intuitive but the on-disc manual shows that it can do a surprising lot
    >of things.
    >
    >I know there are smaller cameras but none, AFAIK, have optical finders.
    >Just for interest' sake, are there any other small point-and-shoots
    >still available with direct viewfinders?

    Learn to use the DPReview search engine.
    http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras

    me, Sep 8, 2012

  3. On 9/8/2012 5:53 PM, me wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:51:43 -0400, James Silverton
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> My first digital point and shoot, an eight year old Nikon, has been
    >> making grinding noises and I felt it was time to replace it but I did
    >> want a very small pocketable camera. My impression that optical
    >> viewfinders had died out in the low price range proved correct, which is
    >> a problem for my old eyes. I know Canon makes a small rangefinder style
    >> camera but that costs $800 or so but I was very pleased to see that the
    >> Canon A1300 was available at $120. I bought one immediately and I like
    >> it! It also has a screen (2.7 inch diagonal). The settings are almost
    >> intuitive but the on-disc manual shows that it can do a surprising lot
    >> of things.
    >>
    >> I know there are smaller cameras but none, AFAIK, have optical finders.
    >> Just for interest' sake, are there any other small point-and-shoots
    >> still available with direct viewfinders?

    > Learn to use the DPReview search engine.
    > http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras

    Thanks for the suggestion. There were only three in my price range.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

    James Silverton, Sep 8, 2012
  4. James Silverton

    Irwell Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 18:05:50 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

    > On 9/8/2012 5:53 PM, me wrote:
    >> On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:51:43 -0400, James Silverton
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> My first digital point and shoot, an eight year old Nikon, has been
    >>> making grinding noises and I felt it was time to replace it but I did
    >>> want a very small pocketable camera. My impression that optical
    >>> viewfinders had died out in the low price range proved correct, which is
    >>> a problem for my old eyes. I know Canon makes a small rangefinder style
    >>> camera but that costs $800 or so but I was very pleased to see that the
    >>> Canon A1300 was available at $120. I bought one immediately and I like
    >>> it! It also has a screen (2.7 inch diagonal). The settings are almost
    >>> intuitive but the on-disc manual shows that it can do a surprising lot
    >>> of things.
    >>>
    >>> I know there are smaller cameras but none, AFAIK, have optical finders.
    >>> Just for interest' sake, are there any other small point-and-shoots
    >>> still available with direct viewfinders?

    >> Learn to use the DPReview search engine.
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras
    >>

    > Thanks for the suggestion. There were only three in my price range.

    I still use my Sony W300, it has an optical viewfinder, OK for composing
    the camera is built like the proverbial brick outhouse.

    Irwell, Sep 9, 2012
  5. James Silverton

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 16:33:10 -0700, Irwell <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 18:05:50 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
    >
    >> On 9/8/2012 5:53 PM, me wrote:

    >>> Learn to use the DPReview search engine.
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the suggestion. There were only three in my price range.

    >I still use my Sony W300, it has an optical viewfinder, OK for composing
    >the camera is built like the proverbial brick outhouse.

    My only contribution is that if you are used to using a viewfinder,
    when the replacement camera is purchased buy one with a viewfinder.

    I have a dslr and a compact camera. Every time I use the compact,
    which does not have a viewfinder, I automatically bring it up to eye
    level. I've missed shots because of this.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 9, 2012