    in printers for the digital cameras.

    thanks
    Chet

    chet, Sep 29, 2004

  2. chet

    Mark B. Guest

    "chet" <> wrote in message
    news:y0G6d.7128$...
    >I am in the market for new Digital camera and a printer to go with the
    >camera, I have the Canon A80 or the A85 in mind I see there is a price
    >difference, which is the preferred choice and what are the better choice in
    >printers for the digital cameras.
    >
    > thanks
    > Chet

    The A80 has a larger sensor, that will make a difference in image quality.

    Mark

    Mark B., Sep 29, 2004

  3. chet

    John Wright Guest

    "chet" wrote
    >I have the Canon A80 or the A85 in mind I see there is a price difference,
    >which is the preferred choice ...

    Both are very similar 4 MPixel cameras, most features and looks
    are identical. Three main differences -
    - A85 has a larger LCD screen.
    - A80 has a larger sensor CCD - its pictures will have lessor
    noise specially in low light/higher ISO situations.
    - And A80 has an LCD that can be flipped out and rotated
    to just about any position - very handy.

    The last two features make A80 better than A85.
    I would prefer A80 over A85.

    Also note that A80 is now superseded by the 5 MPixel A95
    released this month.

    You can read in-depth reviews on these at
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a80.html and
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a85.html

    Regards - JW

    John Wright, Sep 29, 2004
  4. chet

    Chris D Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:43:58 GMT
    chet <> wrote:

    > I am in the market for new Digital camera and a printer to go
    > with the camera, I have the Canon A80 or the A85 in mind I see
    > there is a price difference, which is the preferred choice and
    > what are the better choice in printers for the digital
    > cameras.
    >
    > thanks
    > Chet

    I've been trying to make the same decision, and decided to go
    A80, because of the swivel screen and larger sensor (I Do want
    to try night photography - mainly stars). Now I find that it's
    gonna be damn hard to get the A80 - Our suppliers just don't
    carry it any more because it's been superseeded. :(

    Doesn't look like the A80 has a histogram, but I don't feel
    that I really needed one.

    I Was kinda afraid to delurk and ask about it here - it seemed
    like the sorta place for people with the bucks for DSLRs, which
    I'd love, but am not likely to have the budget for anytime soon.
    ;)

    -Chris D

    Chris D, Sep 30, 2004
  5. chet

    John Wright Guest

    "Chris D" wrote
    > Doesn't look like the A80 has a histogram ...

    Yes, A80 does have a histogram display. But only after you have taken the
    picture.

    > I Was kinda afraid to delurk and ask about it here - it seemed
    > like the sorta place for people with the bucks for DSLRs ...

    Fear of asking is VERY EXPENSIVE in life. Can you afford that?

    Regards - JW

    John Wright, Sep 30, 2004
  6. chet

    compitus Guest

    Hi! A 80 does have a histogram in display options, after You took the shot,
    You can look at the histogram.

    compitus, Sep 30, 2004
  7. chet

    Chris D Guest

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:39:02 +1000
    "John Wright" <> wrote:

    > Yes, A80 does have a histogram display. But only after you
    > have taken the picture.

    OK, I musta missed that in the specs on the Canon page, Ta :)
    I Know the A85 is only after you've taken the picture as well..

    > > I Was kinda afraid to delurk and ask about it here - it
    > > seemed like the sorta place for people with the bucks for
    > > DSLRs ...

    > Fear of asking is VERY EXPENSIVE in life. Can you afford that?

    :) True. And No.

    Anyone know Australian online stores that have the A80? The few
    I know of have the 85, but not the 80... :(

    Chris D, Sep 30, 2004
  8. chet

    compitus Guest

    Hi! sorry, don,t know any stores down-under in us theya are some, about
    $250-300 range. I have mine about 10 months now, got some improvement from
    lensmateonline as far as adapters for wide angle and telephoto-about another
    $200, but well spent. All around great camera, although new A 95 got one
    more mp-don,t know if is worth extra bucks, as some report problems with
    zoom motor. Good luck and don,t be afraid to ask, is for all digital not
    only gyus running to find best deal on 20D..)

    compitus, Sep 30, 2004
  9. In article <y0G6d.7128$>, chet <>
    wrote:

    > I am in the market for new Digital camera and a printer to go with the
    > camera, I have the Canon A80 or the A85 in mind I see there is a price
    > difference, which is the preferred choice and what are the better choice
    > in printers for the digital cameras.
    >
    > thanks
    > Chet

    Definately the A80.
    Problem is that is has been dicontinued to be replaced by the A95. So
    you'd have a ahrd time finding a new A80. But what the eck, get the A95.
    More pixels, same size sensor as A80.

    Tiny problem, due to 'more pixels on same size sensor' there might be a
    bit more noise in the images at High ISO values (200 and up). But as the
    'space per pixel' on the sensor in the A95 is bigger than in the A85, I
    expect the A95 be less noisy than the A85.

    I had an A70. Predecessor of A85.
    Now I have an S60, which has same sensor as A95. Ahots at ISO 200 are
    acceptable (at best). If you want less noise, get an SLR.

    Wouter

    --

    Wouter F. Wessels
    Gouda, the Netherlands

    Wouter Wessels, Oct 6, 2004
  10. chet

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:08:41 +0930, Chris D
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone know Australian online stores that have the A80? The few
    >I know of have the 85, but not the 80... :(

    Might be a bit of a struggle .... I have one, but it's been superceded
    for a while now so I douibt it'll be easy to find.

    Try the Green Guide if you're in melbourne.

    Bob T.

    Bob Thomas, Oct 8, 2004