    same button, so one can't seem to have both functions enabled
    together. Help!
    , Oct 14, 2005

  2. Guest

    Got my own answer by fooling around. I was trying to use macro in
    telephoto mode, whereas it works best in wide angle mode (with no
    mechanical zoom). Now to have fun with it!
    , Oct 14, 2005

  3. writes:
    >The manual is not very helpful. I have a feeling I may need to use
    >the manual focus function, but it and the macro function share the
    >same button, so one can't seem to have both functions enabled
    >together. Help!

    There's no need to "have both functions enabled together". In normal
    mode, the camera only searches for focus in a certain portion of the
    lens focusing range, to speed up focusing. When you put the camera into
    "macro" mode, it's still autofocusing, but it tries to focus in a
    different portion of the lens range. Macro is just a hint to the
    autofocus system.

    When you put the camera into manual focus mode, though, you have access
    to the entire focus range of the lens. There's no need, and no point,
    to a "macro" setting in manual focus.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Oct 15, 2005