    Suggestions?
    Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap, Dec 12, 2004

  2. Don Dunlap

    Bill Crocker Guest

    I would go with the Canon i9900. I just bought the Canon PIXMA iP8500,
    which is their newer series. It's an 8.5x11 format, but uses the print
    engine, head, and ink system, from the i9900. It is super fast, and does a
    phenomenal job! The print head on the iP8500 is user replaceable. Not sure
    about the i9900...seems it should be.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Dec 12, 2004

  3. Don Dunlap

    Fitpix Guest

    "Don Dunlap" <> wrote in message
    >I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy. The Epson
    >2200 will take paper other than Epson, and I like that feature. I have
    >heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take other
    >than Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than Canon on
    >their 9900?
    >
    > According to reviews, the Canon has the Epson beat heartily on speed,
    > which is good, but I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the best
    > color. Also, opening up older discussions, what are the pros and cons of
    > each. I am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years, since I will
    > not last that long. I don't think that I want to use second party inks
    > though, since they have a tendency to clog. (Past experience) I just
    > want the best printer for the money that prints true color photos and the
    > price of paper and ink won't send me to the poor house.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    > Don Dunlap
    >
    > Don Dunlap

    I have the Epson and love it. I use it for my studio and need the archival
    life and waterproof ink. If you don'tneed this though and can save money by
    going Canon I would do that. I have seen prints from both and they are both
    wonderful printers. I currently use InkPress papers (pro chrome luster) and
    get awesome results out of their paper.

    www.delawarestudio.com
    www.pbase.com/fitpix
    Fitpix, Dec 12, 2004
  4. Don Dunlap

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Don Dunlap"

    >I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy.

    This link discusses them well ...
    http://www.inkjetart.com/news/archive/IJN_04-18-04.html ... scroll down to

    "Q: What are my choices for 13" wide photo inkjet printers, and which is best?"

    Basically the Epson 2200 is better for long print life and for printing on a
    variety of papers, especially fine art watercolor papers like Velvet-Fine Art.
    The Canon is faster, costs less and does better on glossy paper.

    >I have heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take
    >other than Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than
    >Canon on their 9900?

    You can use other papers with good print quality BUT there's a big question
    with print life ... Wilhelm Research rates the one good Canon paper at around
    30 years but the other papers are rated much less ...

    >I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the best color.

    You can order a 2200 test print from here ... http://www.inkjetart.com/custom/
    .... you can download the test pattern and see if someone with a Canon will
    print it for you ...

    When I was deciding between an Epson 2000p and 1280 I got test prints from both
    and bought the 1280, even though I really wanted the 2000p print life (but I
    couldn't live with the metamerism) ... when I considered the 2200 I bought test
    prints and compared to the 1280 test prints and bought the 2200 ... there is no
    substitute for actually comparing test prints side-by-side so it's a good idea
    to spend $20 to get a couple, I feel.

    >I am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years

    Sounds like the Canon may be better choice for you then ...

    >I just want the best printer for the money that prints true color photos
    >and the price of paper and ink won't send me to the poor house.
    >
    >Suggestions?

    I have the 2200 (now rarely used since I got the 17" wide 4000) and am a big
    Epson fan, but given what you wrote I'd say the 9900 fits your needs fine. The
    two main reasons to get the 2200 are the long print life (mainly if you're
    selling prints) and the excellent fine art papers, I feel. These don't seem
    that crucial to you though.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Dec 12, 2004
  5. Don Dunlap

    Robert Guest

    Does the Epson have any banding problems, or the Canons?

    Robert, Dec 12, 2004
  6. Don Dunlap

    bmoag Guest

    A Canon printer can print on any paper.
    However if you use color management you need to have a profile for the paper
    you are printing on.
    Epson makes many different paper surfaces and includes profiles for Epson
    papers in their printer driver software.
    Canon makes very few paper surfaces, 4 really, and includes profiles for
    those papers with their printer driver software.
    How much having a manufacturers canned paper profile matters to your results
    depends on your understanding of color management and willingness/ability to
    create your own profiles or work-arounds.
    Also, in my experience with other "9" series Canon printers the Canon
    methods for implementing color management are neither as straight forward or
    nearly as accurate as the Epson methods. The Canon printers are first rate
    but the Canon software is very second rate.
    None of us is creating a Mona Lisa and concerns about longevity really apply
    to only a segment of the professional market. If you are beginning to learn
    high end color managed printing with Photoshop get an Epson and save
    yourself alot of aggravation.
    bmoag, Dec 12, 2004
  7. Don Dunlap

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Robert"

    >Does the Epson have any banding problems, or the Canons?

    The Epsons I've used definitely do not have a banding problem (I have a 1280,
    2200 and 4000 in my office right now). I doubt that the i9900 Canon does
    either, though I haven't used one.

    The Epsons have a utility for aligning the print head in case you see true
    banding, though I've never had to use it. If you see a repetitive banding
    stripe it would most likely mean one of the print head nozzles is clogged or
    has an air bubble. On the 1280 I used to always run a 'nozzle check' test
    before printing a photo to check for this (easy to fix with a cleaning cycle).
    Later printer models seem to have largely fixed this though, I only run a
    nozzle check on the 2200 if I haven't used it in several weeks and it's almost
    always clear even then. The head clogging on the Epsons seems to have peaked
    with the 780/870 and 1270/1280 models (I think the 780 was the worst), later
    models seem much less likely to have problems, I've found.
    Bill Hilton, Dec 12, 2004
  8. Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap Guest

    I believe that the print head is user replaceable on the 9900 also. Based
    on the comments from almost everyone who has replied, it seems as if the
    Canon is the one that I should get. I plan on buying right after the first
    of the year, so I have plenty of time to change my mind about 10 times
    between now and then. :)

    Thanks
    Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap, Dec 12, 2004
  9. Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap Guest

    > >From: "Don Dunlap"

    >>I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy.

    > This link discusses them well ...
    > http://www.inkjetart.com/news/archive/IJN_04-18-04.html ... scroll down to
    >
    > "Q: What are my choices for 13" wide photo inkjet printers, and which is
    > best?"
    >
    > Basically the Epson 2200 is better for long print life and for printing on
    > variety of papers, especially fine art watercolor papers like Velvet-Fine
    > Art.
    > The Canon is faster, costs less and does better on glossy paper.
    >
    >>I have heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take
    >>other than Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than
    >>Canon on their 9900?

    > You can use other papers with good print quality BUT there's a big
    > question
    > with print life ... Wilhelm Research rates the one good Canon paper at
    > around
    > 30 years but the other papers are rated much less ...
    >
    >>I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the best color.

    > You can order a 2200 test print from here ...
    > http://www.inkjetart.com/custom/
    > ... you can download the test pattern and see if someone with a Canon will
    > print it for you ...
    >
    > When I was deciding between an Epson 2000p and 1280 I got test prints from
    > both
    > and bought the 1280, even though I really wanted the 2000p print life (but
    > couldn't live with the metamerism) ... when I considered the 2200 I bought
    > test
    > prints and compared to the 1280 test prints and bought the 2200 ... there
    > is no
    > substitute for actually comparing test prints side-by-side so it's a good
    > idea
    > to spend $20 to get a couple, I feel.
    >
    >>I am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years

    > Sounds like the Canon may be better choice for you then ...
    >
    >>I just want the best printer for the money that prints true color photos
    >>and the price of paper and ink won't send me to the poor house.
    >>
    >>Suggestions?

    > I have the 2200 (now rarely used since I got the 17" wide 4000) and am a
    > big
    > Epson fan, but given what you wrote I'd say the 9900 fits your needs fine.
    > The
    > two main reasons to get the 2200 are the long print life (mainly if you're
    > selling prints) and the excellent fine art papers, I feel. These don't
    > seem
    > that crucial to you though.
    >
    > Bill

    It sounds as if the concensus is that the Canon is the one I should be
    considering.

    Thanks for the comments,
    Don Dunlap
    Don Dunlap, Dec 12, 2004
  10. Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    >A Canon printer can print on any paper.
    > However if you use color management you need to have a profile for the
    > paper you are printing on.
    > Epson makes many different paper surfaces and includes profiles for Epson
    > papers in their printer driver software.
    > Canon makes very few paper surfaces, 4 really, and includes profiles for
    > those papers with their printer driver software.
    > How much having a manufacturers canned paper profile matters to your
    > results depends on your understanding of color management and
    > willingness/ability to create your own profiles or work-arounds.
    > Also, in my experience with other "9" series Canon printers the Canon
    > methods for implementing color management are neither as straight forward
    > or nearly as accurate as the Epson methods. The Canon printers are first
    > rate but the Canon software is very second rate.
    > None of us is creating a Mona Lisa and concerns about longevity really
    > apply to only a segment of the professional market. If you are beginning
    > to learn high end color managed printing with Photoshop get an Epson and
    > save yourself alot of aggravation.

    My last two printers have been Epson and I was pleased with both except for
    the print heads clogging on my Photo 700. I have the 785EPX now and it
    prints great. The Canon seems to be leading in my decision making at
    present, but as I told another poster, I won't be buying till just after the
    first of the year, so I have plenty of time to change my mind several times.

    Thanks
    Don Dunlap
    Don Dunlap, Dec 12, 2004
  11. Don Dunlap

    Walter Guest

    "Don Dunlap" <> wrote in

    > I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy. The
    > Epson 2200 will take paper other than Epson, and I like that feature.

    canon just announced there new long life ink, a new large format Pixma
    using that ink should follow not too far behind.

    Walter
    Walter, Dec 13, 2004
  12. Don Dunlap

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Don Dunlap wrote:
    > I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy. The Epson
    > 2200 will take paper other than Epson, and I like that feature. I have
    > heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take other than
    > Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than Canon on their
    > 9900?

    I have had little success with non-Canon paper in my Canon i9950 which is the
    Aussie version of the i9900 which has an adapter to allow you to print directly
    onto printable CDs and DVDs.

    > According to reviews, the Canon has the Epson beat heartily on speed, which
    > is good, but I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the best color.
    > Also, opening up older discussions, what are the pros and cons of each. I
    > am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years, since I will not last
    > that long. I don't think that I want to use second party inks though, since
    > they have a tendency to clog. (Past experience) I just want the best
    > printer for the money that prints true color photos and the price of paper
    > and ink won't send me to the poor house.

    I've found I can save 50% on ink and paper costs by buying (still genuine) from
    eBay.

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37PD, DGTEC 2000A, Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.
    Ben Thomas, Dec 13, 2004
  13. Don Dunlap

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Don Dunlap wrote:
    > "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>A Canon printer can print on any paper.
    >>However if you use color management you need to have a profile for the
    >>paper you are printing on.
    >>Epson makes many different paper surfaces and includes profiles for Epson
    >>papers in their printer driver software.
    >>Canon makes very few paper surfaces, 4 really, and includes profiles for
    >>those papers with their printer driver software.
    >>How much having a manufacturers canned paper profile matters to your
    >>results depends on your understanding of color management and
    >>willingness/ability to create your own profiles or work-arounds.
    >>Also, in my experience with other "9" series Canon printers the Canon
    >>methods for implementing color management are neither as straight forward
    >>or nearly as accurate as the Epson methods. The Canon printers are first
    >>rate but the Canon software is very second rate.
    >>None of us is creating a Mona Lisa and concerns about longevity really
    >>apply to only a segment of the professional market. If you are beginning
    >>to learn high end color managed printing with Photoshop get an Epson and
    >>save yourself alot of aggravation.

    > My last two printers have been Epson and I was pleased with both except for
    > the print heads clogging on my Photo 700. I have the 785EPX now and it
    > prints great. The Canon seems to be leading in my decision making at
    > present, but as I told another poster, I won't be buying till just after the
    > first of the year, so I have plenty of time to change my mind several times.

    I had the exact same problem with my Epson Photo 700.

    I'm very happy with my i9950.

    Ben Thomas, Dec 13, 2004
  14. Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap Guest

    "Ben Thomas" <> wrote in message
    > Don Dunlap wrote:
    >> I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy. The Epson
    >> 2200 will take paper other than Epson, and I like that feature. I have
    >> heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take other
    >> than Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than Canon on
    >> their 9900?

    > I have had little success with non-Canon paper in my Canon i9950 which is
    > the Aussie version of the i9900 which has an adapter to allow you to print
    > directly onto printable CDs and DVDs.
    >

    >> According to reviews, the Canon has the Epson beat heartily on speed,
    >> which is good, but I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the
    >> best color. Also, opening up older discussions, what are the pros and
    >> cons of each. I am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years,
    >> since I will not last that long. I don't think that I want to use second
    >> party inks though, since they have a tendency to clog. (Past experience)
    >> I just want the best printer for the money that prints true color photos
    >> and the price of paper and ink won't send me to the poor house.

    > I've found I can save 50% on ink and paper costs by buying (still genuine)
    > from eBay.
    >

    > --
    > Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia
    >
    > My Digital World:
    > Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    > Hitachi 37PD, DGTEC 2000A, Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    > Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.
    >
    > Disclaimer:
    > Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
    > relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as
    > neither
    > given nor endorsed by it.

    That's strange, about the savings on E-bay I mean. I check on E-bay here in
    the US for ink and it is higher than I can get it for at several web sites,
    especially when you take the shipping cost into consideration.

    Don Dunlap
    Don Dunlap, Dec 13, 2004
  15. << I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy. >>

    Me too.

    I'd like to have a 24" wide or better printer. The H-P 130 does 24x64's but I
    haven't seen the quality.

    Considering 13" wide printers -- both the Canon and Epson seem like excellent
    choices. However, I still use the Noritsu printer at Costco (Bend, Oregon) for
    12x18 color prints on Fuji Crystal Archive papers (66+ year quality) for $2.99.

    Best,

    Conrad

    Conrad Weiler
    Camp Sherman, Oregon
    Conrad Weiler, Dec 13, 2004
  16. Don Dunlap

    Tom Scales Guest

    Epson 7600

    Hands down.

    Tom Scales, Dec 13, 2004
  17. On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 08:28:16 -0500, "Don Dunlap"
    <> wrote:

    >I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy. The Epson
    >2200 will take paper other than Epson, and I like that feature. I have
    >heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take other than
    >Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than Canon on their
    >9900?
    >
    >According to reviews, the Canon has the Epson beat heartily on speed, which
    >is good, but I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the best color.
    >Also, opening up older discussions, what are the pros and cons of each. I
    >am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years, since I will not last
    >that long. I don't think that I want to use second party inks though, since
    >they have a tendency to clog. (Past experience) I just want the best
    >printer for the money that prints true color photos and the price of paper
    >and ink won't send me to the poor house.
    >
    >Suggestions?
    >Don Dunlap
    >
    >Don Dunlap

    I have an i9900 and have tried Canon, Epson and Ilford glossy papers,
    all with excellent results. I also have an Epson 870 which also
    handles all those papers well. The Canon is much faster and has a far
    wider gamut.

    I don't know about longevity. I'm 48 years old so I figure 30 years is
    just about right :)

    Seriously, there are too many variables to be able to predict print
    life. Do you store under glass or in the dark. Do you seal the print
    with laquer. What type of paper do you use. Ink is only one factor.
    The Canon's a bit more than half the price of the Epson here, does 8
    colors and is outragiously fast. The Epson has a longer history and
    has some pro accessories available (like bulk ink tanks) that might be
    useful.

    I checked them both out and bought the Canon. You might feel
    otherwise. I think they're both great printers.

    Philip
    Philip Procter, Dec 17, 2004
  18. Philip Procter wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 08:28:16 -0500, "Don Dunlap"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy. The Epson
    >>2200 will take paper other than Epson, and I like that feature. I have
    >>heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take other than
    >>Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than Canon on their
    >>9900?
    >>
    >>According to reviews, the Canon has the Epson beat heartily on speed, which
    >>is good, but I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the best color.
    >>Also, opening up older discussions, what are the pros and cons of each. I
    >>am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years, since I will not last
    >>that long. I don't think that I want to use second party inks though, since
    >>they have a tendency to clog. (Past experience) I just want the best
    >>printer for the money that prints true color photos and the price of paper
    >>and ink won't send me to the poor house.
    >>
    >>Suggestions?
    >>Don Dunlap
    >>
    >>Don Dunlap
    >>

    > I have an i9900 and have tried Canon, Epson and Ilford glossy papers,
    > all with excellent results. I also have an Epson 870 which also
    > handles all those papers well. The Canon is much faster and has a far
    > wider gamut.
    >
    > I don't know about longevity. I'm 48 years old so I figure 30 years is
    > just about right :)
    >
    > Seriously, there are too many variables to be able to predict print
    > life. Do you store under glass or in the dark. Do you seal the print
    > with laquer. What type of paper do you use. Ink is only one factor.
    > The Canon's a bit more than half the price of the Epson here, does 8
    > colors and is outragiously fast. The Epson has a longer history and
    > has some pro accessories available (like bulk ink tanks) that might be
    > useful.
    >
    > I checked them both out and bought the Canon. You might feel
    > otherwise. I think they're both great printers.

    Do they have Profiles for the main papers, and do you use them?
    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 17, 2004
  19. Don Dunlap

    Joe M Guest

    In article <zAuwd.585063$D%.558511@attbi_s51>, John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    > Do they have Profiles for the main papers, and do you use them?
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    I have a Canon S9000 (the predecessor to the 9900 being discussed.)

    I recently found Ilford papers and have been _very_happy with the
    results. The 9000 always performed great on Canon paper, but I really
    feel Ilford give superior quality with this printer.

    Ilford does provide color profiles for their papers. I am using Classic
    Pearl paper with the profile from Ilford and the results are amazingly
    accurate to my screen.

    I am using a Macintosh to print, with Colorsync on. My prints are made
    primarily from PhotoShop. It is important to note that I select my
    color management in PhotoShop and then make sure it is turned OFF in
    the printer driver. It is important that you do NOT color manage the
    output twice. This problem is possible in other programs and other OS.
    If you have color management turned on in both places the quality of
    the prints will suffer (regardless of paper brand.)

    --Joe
    Joe M, Dec 19, 2004
  20. Joe M wrote:
    > In article <zAuwd.585063$D%.558511@attbi_s51>, John McWilliams
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Do they have Profiles for the main papers, and do you use them?
    >>--
    >>John McWilliams

    > I have a Canon S9000 (the predecessor to the 9900 being discussed.)
    >
    > I recently found Ilford papers and have been _very_happy with the
    > results. The 9000 always performed great on Canon paper, but I really
    > feel Ilford give superior quality with this printer.
    >
    > Ilford does provide color profiles for their papers. I am using Classic
    > Pearl paper with the profile from Ilford and the results are amazingly
    > accurate to my screen.

    I am too, just didn't know if they had them for the 9900.

    > I am using a Macintosh to print, with Colorsync on. My prints are made
    > primarily from PhotoShop. It is important to note that I select my
    > color management in PhotoShop and then make sure it is turned OFF in
    > the printer driver. It is important that you do NOT color manage the
    > output twice. This problem is possible in other programs and other OS.
    > If you have color management turned on in both places the quality of
    > the prints will suffer (regardless of paper brand.)

    If colorsync is on, isn't that additional management? I keep checked the
    box: No color management in the printer driver dialogue. Also printing
    from Mac OS (Jag.) and PS CS. My source is always Adobe RGB 1998, and my
    print space goes to whatever paper Profile is appropriate, with
    Relative Colorimetric and Black point compensation also chosen.

    Please view the above as more a question than a statement of what is
    absolutely the best; I am new to printing and want to learn.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 19, 2004