    I'm likely going to get a 16GB UDMA card, but would like to be
    confident as to what kind of mileage I would get out of that...

    Thanks!

    BD, Sep 10, 2009

  2. BD

    Ray Fischer Guest

    BD <> wrote:
    >I'm looking to get a 7d - preordered it and everything.
    >
    >I'm just not sure of the media size that would make sense for me.

    What kind of photography do you do? For weddings I would make sure
    that I had a 8GB UDMA card for the speed and capacity. For nature
    I'd go for more smaller cards for the reliability and cost savings.

    >Has anyone seen a clear indication of the amount of space that the
    >highest quality x264 vid will consume? GB/Min, that kind of thing?

    You're using it for video?!?

    >I'm likely going to get a 16GB UDMA card, but would like to be
    >confident as to what kind of mileage I would get out of that...

    Sigh. Why not buy a goodd video camera instead?

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Sep 10, 2009

  3. BD

    Lucas Guest

    "BD" <> schreef in bericht
    > I'm looking to get a 7d - preordered it and everything.
    >
    > I'm just not sure of the media size that would make sense for me.
    >
    > Has anyone seen a clear indication of the amount of space that the
    > highest quality x264 vid will consume? GB/Min, that kind of thing?
    >
    > I'm likely going to get a 16GB UDMA card, but would like to be
    > confident as to what kind of mileage I would get out of that...
    >
    > Thanks!

    Specs say video is limited to 30 minutes per file (29 min 59 sec actually)
    or 4 Gb max per file.
    The rest of the math you can do yourself I suppose...

    L.

    Lucas, Sep 10, 2009
  4. BD

    MC Guest

    "BD" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to get a 7d - preordered it and everything.
    >
    > I'm just not sure of the media size that would make sense for me.
    >
    > Has anyone seen a clear indication of the amount of space that the
    > highest quality x264 vid will consume? GB/Min, that kind of thing?
    >
    > I'm likely going to get a 16GB UDMA card, but would like to be
    > confident as to what kind of mileage I would get out of that...

    You are wasting your money on an over-spec camera if you are buying it for
    shooting video. If you are seriously into stills photography then OK but if
    you want to shoot video buy a decent HD camcorder.

    MC

    MC, Sep 10, 2009
  5. BD

    J. Clarke Guest

    MC wrote:
    > "BD" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking to get a 7d - preordered it and everything.
    >>
    >> I'm just not sure of the media size that would make sense for me.
    >>
    >> Has anyone seen a clear indication of the amount of space that the
    >> highest quality x264 vid will consume? GB/Min, that kind of thing?
    >>
    >> I'm likely going to get a 16GB UDMA card, but would like to be
    >> confident as to what kind of mileage I would get out of that...
    >>

    > You are wasting your money on an over-spec camera if you are buying
    > it for shooting video. If you are seriously into stills photography
    > then OK but if you want to shoot video buy a decent HD camcorder.

    Yep. Being able to shoot video with it is a nice feature that can be useful
    in some circumstances but if that's your primary use you're better off to
    get something purpose-made for video.

    J. Clarke, Sep 10, 2009
  6. BD

    BD Guest

    > 1920x1080 & 1280x720 = 330MB/Min  (49 Min on 16GB card)
    > 640X480 = 165MB/Min (1 Hr 39 Min on 16GB card)

    Thanks kindly, Dude. Direct and to the point. ;) Funny - on several
    spec sheets and hands-on's I'd looked at, I never spotted those
    numbers. Oh well. Can I ask where you found that? Was it basically
    staring me in the face on Canon's spec sheet?
    I guess I better add a 16G UDMA card to my shopping list, 'just in
    case'. ;)

    Cheers,

    BD

    BD, Sep 10, 2009
  7. BD

    BD Guest

    > You are wasting your money on an over-spec camera if you are buying it for
    > shooting video.  If you are seriously into stills photography then OK but if
    > you want to shoot video buy a decent HD camcorder.
    >
    > MC

    Oh, how I love it when people jump in and impose judgment without even
    making an effort to understand what I'm thinking and why. But then,
    this is Usenet. ;)

    BD, Sep 10, 2009
  8. BD

    MC Guest

    "BD" <> wrote in message

    >> You are wasting your money on an over-spec camera if you are buying it
    >> for
    >> shooting video. If you are seriously into stills photography then OK but
    >> if
    >> you want to shoot video buy a decent HD camcorder.
    >>
    >> MC

    > Oh, how I love it when people jump in and impose judgment without even
    > making an effort to understand what I'm thinking and why. But then,
    > this is Usenet. ;)

    It is indeed usenet and assumptions will be made if intentions are not made
    clear enough in the first place. If you read my reply carefully you will
    have worked out that I was covering all angles and not making judgments.

    MC
    --
    Please feel free to ignore me if:
    a. You feel I have offended you

    MC, Sep 10, 2009
  9. BD wrote:
    >> You are wasting your money on an over-spec camera if you are buying it for
    >> shooting video. If you are seriously into stills photography then OK but if
    >> you want to shoot video buy a decent HD camcorder.
    >>
    >> MC

    > Oh, how I love it when people jump in and impose judgment without even
    > making an effort to understand what I'm thinking and why. But then,
    > this is Usenet. ;)

    Well, yeah, sure, but you didn't make any effort to disclose what you
    were thinking nor why.

    So, why is the max. amount of video important?

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Sep 10, 2009
  10. BD

    BD Guest

    On Sep 10, 9:13 am, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    > BD wrote:
    > >> You are wasting your money on an over-spec camera if you are buying it for
    > >> shooting video.  If you are seriously into stills photography then OK but if
    > >> you want to shoot video buy a decent HD camcorder.

    > >> MC

    > > Oh, how I love it when people jump in and impose judgment without even
    > > making an effort to understand what I'm thinking and why. But then,
    > > this is Usenet. ;)

    > Well, yeah, sure, but you didn't make any effort to disclose what you
    > were thinking nor why.
    >
    > So, why is the max. amount of video important?
    >
    > --
    > john mcwilliams

    For the same reason it's important to know how many MPGs a car gets
    before I'd invest in it. If a car gets 300 miles on a tank, the fact
    that I care about that doesn't necessarily mean I'm planning on a 300-
    mile trip - it just means I want to know as much as possible about
    what I'm considering buying.

    I'd hate to make plans to go out and record a play that a friend's kid
    is in, only to see the media crap out 3/4 of the way through simply
    because I didn't do sufficient research and got too small a memory
    card.

    BD, Sep 10, 2009
  11. BD

    MC Guest

    "BD" <> wrote in message

    >>> Oh, how I love it when people jump in and impose judgment without even
    >>> making an effort to understand what I'm thinking and why. But then,
    >>> this is Usenet. ;)

    >> Well, yeah, sure, but you didn't make any effort to disclose what you
    >> were thinking nor why.
    >>
    >> So, why is the max. amount of video important?
    >>
    >> --
    >> john mcwilliams

    > For the same reason it's important to know how many MPGs a car gets
    > before I'd invest in it. If a car gets 300 miles on a tank, the fact
    > that I care about that doesn't necessarily mean I'm planning on a 300-
    > mile trip - it just means I want to know as much as possible about
    > what I'm considering buying.

    By this argument you are trying to gauge video memory capacity as a factor
    of whether or not to by the 7D. We are, thus, advising that a 7D should be
    purchased for it's stills taking features and that it's video features
    should be considered an added extra not a reason for buying the camera. If
    the camera is good at taking photographs then it may be worth buying. If
    the added video feature is good then great. If not, so what.

    > I'd hate to make plans to go out and record a play that a friend's kid
    > is in, only to see the media crap out 3/4 of the way through simply
    > because I didn't do sufficient research and got too small a memory
    > card.

    If you are serious about or even considering shooting video in these
    situations then you should not even be relying on an SLR "add-on" feature.
    Purchase a dedicated HD camcorder.

    MC

    MC, Sep 10, 2009
  12. BD

    BD Guest

    > By this argument you are trying to gauge video memory capacity as a factor
    > of whether or not to by the 7D.  We are, thus, advising that a 7D should be
    > purchased for it's stills taking features and that it's video features
    > should be considered an added extra not a reason for buying the camera.  If
    > the camera is good at taking photographs then it may be worth buying.  If
    > the added video feature is good then great. If not, so what.

    Yikes. The fact that I ask one rather specific question really
    shouldn't be interpreted as saying that I'm not factoring in anything
    else in my decision making process. It's one specific question which I
    was looking to have clarified. Several people offered a simple, direct
    answer, which I appreciate. 's all I needed, folks. Regardless how
    needy of guidance I may appear, I have actually bought cameras
    before.

    Tell you what - If I decide I like the shape of the manufacturer's
    label on the front of the speedlight, or the way the AF Assist light
    makes things all strobey, I deserve to be screwed over. ;)

    I think I'm finished with this thread. I've got the info I was looking
    for, and appreciate the direct response I got from those who offered
    it.

    BD, Sep 11, 2009
  13. BD

    Ray Fischer Guest

    BD <> wrote:
    >I'm looking to get a 7d - preordered it and everything.
    >
    >I'm just not sure of the media size that would make sense for me.
    >
    >Has anyone seen a clear indication of the amount of space that the
    >highest quality x264 vid will consume? GB/Min, that kind of thing?

    As a rule, dSLR cameras (and even P&S cameras) make poor video
    cameras. The autofocus, while fast and accurate, is noisy and uses
    too much power. The image stabilzation is also noisy and uses too much
    power. They don't allow uncompressed video or provide few options for
    recording compressed video.

    And, similarly, video cameras make sucky still cameras. The autofocus
    is way to slow for fast photography, there are few controls for
    exposure setting, and there is no RAW capability.

    Choose your primary function and buy the appropriate device.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Sep 11, 2009