Canon 5D???

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by GTO, Aug 15, 2005.

  1. GTO

    GTO Guest

    GTO, Aug 15, 2005

  2. GTO

    Mark² Guest

    "GTO" <> wrote in message
    news:pwULe.634$...
    >I am probably a few days behind on this one. But how real is the Canon 5D?
    >See http://news.techwhack.com/1878/canon-5d-is-finally-unveiled/
    >
    > A full-format CMOS chip with 13 MPixels for around US$3500, doesn't sound
    > bad at all.
    >
    > Gregor

    Search the forum, and you'll find extensive discussion of this topic within
    the last several days.
    Mark², Aug 15, 2005

  3. GTO

    GTO Guest

    Found it. Thanks. - So, then we'll soon see some nice new model come later
    this month. I wonder what Nikon's response will be. - A D2Xs with a larger
    screen and an improved battery, perhaps? - Just kidding.

    Gregor

    GTO, Aug 15, 2005
  4. GTO

    Mr. Mark Guest

    > Found it. Thanks. - So, then we'll soon see some nice new model come later
    > this month. I wonder what Nikon's response will be. - A D2Xs with a larger
    > screen and an improved battery, perhaps? - Just kidding.

    FWIW, Nikon seems to be competing on something other than megapixels. I had
    the chance to shoot a friend's D70 and was quite impressed. Of course I
    then went out and bought a 20D. :)

    --
    Mark

    Photos, Ideas & Opinions
    http://www.marklauter.com
    Mr. Mark, Aug 15, 2005
  5. GTO

    Mark² Guest

    "Mr. Mark" <> wrote in message
    >> Found it. Thanks. - So, then we'll soon see some nice new model come
    >> later
    >> this month. I wonder what Nikon's response will be. - A D2Xs with a
    >> larger
    >> screen and an improved battery, perhaps? - Just kidding.

    > FWIW, Nikon seems to be competing on something other than megapixels. I
    > had
    > the chance to shoot a friend's D70 and was quite impressed. Of course I
    > then went out and bought a 20D. :)
    >
    > --
    > Mark

    Not sure I follow your comment. It seems to imply that they've captured
    some other mystical quality, and yet you passed it over for the 20D. :) ??

    I don't think the 5D qualifies so much as a "pixel competition" camera as
    much as it is a breakthrough in full-frame availablity. This will mark the
    beginning of wide-spread appeal for true wide-angle coverage--with DSLRS
    that more people can afford. Granted, it's still quite expensive, if
    predictions are right, but it's a move inthe right direction. Personally, I
    think Nikon has missed a significant boat by ignoring the full-frame issue.
    Wide angle enthsiasts who are invested in top optics will be mighty glad to
    see this from Canon. I recently mounted my Canon 16-35 2.8 L lens on my EOS
    3 film body...and BOING--I had almost forgotten what TRUE wide angle
    as! -On my 10D, that 16 doesn't look very wide by comparison. Come on
    Nikon! Get in the game and compete! I don't like paying Canon prices when
    there's no competetive alternative. :)
    Mark², Aug 15, 2005
  6. GTO

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:58:32 -0700, Mark² wrote:

    > "Mr. Mark" <> wrote in message
    >>> Found it. Thanks. - So, then we'll soon see some nice new model come
    >>> later
    >>> this month. I wonder what Nikon's response will be. - A D2Xs with a
    >>> larger
    >>> screen and an improved battery, perhaps? - Just kidding.

    >> FWIW, Nikon seems to be competing on something other than megapixels. I
    >> had
    >> the chance to shoot a friend's D70 and was quite impressed. Of course I
    >> then went out and bought a 20D. :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark

    > Not sure I follow your comment. It seems to imply that they've captured
    > some other mystical quality, and yet you passed it over for the 20D. :) ??
    >
    > I don't think the 5D qualifies so much as a "pixel competition" camera as
    > much as it is a breakthrough in full-frame availablity. This will mark the
    > beginning of wide-spread appeal for true wide-angle coverage--with DSLRS
    > that more people can afford. Granted, it's still quite expensive, if
    > predictions are right, but it's a move inthe right direction. Personally, I
    > think Nikon has missed a significant boat by ignoring the full-frame issue.
    > Wide angle enthsiasts who are invested in top optics will be mighty glad to
    > see this from Canon. I recently mounted my Canon 16-35 2.8 L lens on my EOS
    > 3 film body...and BOING--I had almost forgotten what TRUE wide angle
    > as! -On my 10D, that 16 doesn't look very wide by comparison. Come on
    > Nikon! Get in the game and compete! I don't like paying Canon prices when
    > there's no competetive alternative. :)

    Contax never ignored the full frame sensor and look what happened to them.

    --
    Neil
    Delete delete to reply by email
    Neil Ellwood, Aug 15, 2005
  7. GTO

    Mark² Guest

    "Neil Ellwood" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:58:32 -0700, Mark² wrote:
    >

    >> "Mr. Mark" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> FWIW, Nikon seems to be competing on something other than megapixels. I
    >>> had
    >>> the chance to shoot a friend's D70 and was quite impressed. Of course I
    >>> then went out and bought a 20D. :)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mark

    >> Not sure I follow your comment. It seems to imply that they've captured
    >> some other mystical quality, and yet you passed it over for the 20D. :)
    >> ??
    >>
    >> I don't think the 5D qualifies so much as a "pixel competition" camera as
    >> much as it is a breakthrough in full-frame availablity. This will mark
    >> the
    >> beginning of wide-spread appeal for true wide-angle coverage--with DSLRS
    >> that more people can afford. Granted, it's still quite expensive, if
    >> predictions are right, but it's a move inthe right direction.
    >> Personally, I
    >> think Nikon has missed a significant boat by ignoring the full-frame
    >> issue.
    >> Wide angle enthsiasts who are invested in top optics will be mighty glad
    >> see this from Canon. I recently mounted my Canon 16-35 2.8 L lens on my
    >> EOS
    >> 3 film body...and BOING--I had almost forgotten what TRUE wide angle
    >> as! -On my 10D, that 16 doesn't look very wide by comparison. Come on
    >> Nikon! Get in the game and compete! I don't like paying Canon prices
    >> when
    >> there's no competetive alternative. :)

    > Contax never ignored the full frame sensor and look what happened to them.

    No, they just ignored teh fact that they had nearly no market or lens-owner
    base...meaning teh masses couldn't utilize their body without starting from
    scratch. Canon and Nikon both had hoards of people who already owned lenses
    they could use on an expensive body. Contax had a good reputation with some
    in the know...but they had the worst with the masses...that being **no**
    reputation. If you took a survery of camera brands people were aware of,
    Contax would have been WAY down the list for all but people like you and me.

    Oh... And they also forgot to make a DSLR that worked.
    :)
    That always helps.
    Mark², Aug 15, 2005
  8. "Neil Ellwood" <> wrote:
    > Contax never ignored the full frame sensor and look what happened to them.

    The Contax FF dSLR was a 6MP camera with an insane price tag and uninspired
    performance.

    Heck, even the original 1Ds was problematic, with its inadequate low-pass
    filter (nasty Moiré) and poor noise performance compared to the 10D.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Aug 15, 2005
  9. Mark² wrote:
    > "Mr. Mark" <> wrote in message
    >>> Found it. Thanks. - So, then we'll soon see some nice new model come
    >>> later
    >>> this month. I wonder what Nikon's response will be. - A D2Xs with a
    >>> larger
    >>> screen and an improved battery, perhaps? - Just kidding.

    >> FWIW, Nikon seems to be competing on something other than
    >> megapixels. I had
    >> the chance to shoot a friend's D70 and was quite impressed. Of
    >> course I then went out and bought a 20D. :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark

    > Not sure I follow your comment. It seems to imply that they've
    > captured some other mystical quality, and yet you passed it over for
    > the 20D. :) ??
    > I don't think the 5D qualifies so much as a "pixel competition"
    > camera as much as it is a breakthrough in full-frame availablity. This
    > will mark the beginning of wide-spread appeal for true
    > wide-angle coverage--with DSLRS that more people can afford. Granted,
    > it's still quite expensive, if predictions are right, but it's a move
    > inthe right direction. Personally, I think Nikon has missed a
    > significant boat by ignoring the full-frame issue. Wide angle
    > enthsiasts who are invested in top optics will be mighty glad to see
    > this from Canon. I recently mounted my Canon 16-35 2.8 L lens on my
    > EOS 3 film body...and BOING--I had almost forgotten what TRUE wide
    > angle as! -On my 10D, that 16 doesn't look very wide by comparison.

    It may not be what you need but the 10-22mm does a great job for me.
    Frankly I doubt if I would have bought the 20D if it were not available.

    > Come
    > on Nikon! Get in the game and compete! I don't like paying Canon
    > prices when there's no competetive alternative. :)

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Aug 15, 2005
  10. GTO

    Guest

    Agreed (10-22 availability). But, that means that the 20D really costs
    >$2k if it forces you to buy an $800 lens (assuming you already had wide angle glass).
    , Aug 15, 2005
  11. "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote:

    > It may not be what you need but the 10-22mm does a great job for me.
    > Frankly I doubt if I would have bought the 20D if it were not available.

    It's not wide enough: http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/47227687/large

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Aug 15, 2005
  12. GTO

    wilt Guest

    >FWIW, Nikon seems to be competing on something other than megapixels. I had
    >the chance to shoot a friend's D70 and was quite impressed. Of course I
    >then went out and bought a 20D. :)

    I had a chance to shoot with my son-in-law's D70, was quite impressed,
    then went out and bought a 20D, too!!!

    --Wilt
    wilt, Aug 15, 2005
  13. GTO

    wilt Guest

    > It seems to imply that they've captured
    > some other mystical quality, and yet you passed it over for the 20D. :) ??

    In my case, the D70 proved that shutter lag was gone and that 6Mpixel
    was darned good. But I shoot professionally on occasion, and have need
    for a camera with PC connection for studio flash (but cannot justify to
    myself spending $8k on a single camera body, for the 1Ds MkII!) and as
    low noise as possible and with more pixels, so the 20D was a better
    choice for me.

    --Wilt
    wilt, Aug 15, 2005
  14. "wilt" <> wrote in message
    >> It seems to imply that they've captured
    >> some other mystical quality, and yet you passed it over for the 20D. :)
    >> ??

    > In my case, the D70 proved that shutter lag was gone and that 6Mpixel
    > was darned good. But I shoot professionally on occasion, and have need
    > for a camera with PC connection for studio flash (but cannot justify to
    > myself spending $8k on a single camera body, for the 1Ds MkII!) and as
    > low noise as possible and with more pixels, so the 20D was a better
    > choice for me.

    For 39 cents you can get a flash mount to PC converter...

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Aug 15, 2005
  15. GTO

    Brian Baird Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Contax never ignored the full frame sensor and look what happened to them.

    That was... CONTAX.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
    Brian Baird, Aug 15, 2005
  16. "GTO" <> wrote in message
    >I am probably a few days behind on this one. But how real is the Canon 5D?
    >See http://news.techwhack.com/1878/canon-5d-is-finally-unveiled/
    >
    > A full-format CMOS chip with 13 MPixels for around US$3500, doesn't sound
    > bad at all.

    Too much freaking money! I wish it was closer to $2500.
    Dave R knows who, Aug 17, 2005
  17. GTO

    Frank ess Guest

    Dave R knows who wrote:
    > "GTO" <> wrote in message
    >> I am probably a few days behind on this one. But how real is the
    >> Canon 5D? See
    >> http://news.techwhack.com/1878/canon-5d-is-finally-unveiled/ A
    >> full-format CMOS chip with 13 MPixels for around US$3500, doesn't
    >> sound bad at all.

    > Too much freaking money! I wish it was closer to $2500.

    One thing it seems to mean is..

    Buy More Cards.

    Or a big-volume quick-download device.

    Arrggghhhhhh.
    Frank ess, Aug 18, 2005
  18. GTO

    Guest

    Let's hope, who knows what the actual price will be. I still believe
    that Canon might bring it in lower (than $3500, maybe below $3k) to
    keep it's price away from the 1D professional cameras. And who knows
    what the 1DMkIIN will be? maybe same sensor as 5D but with high frame
    rate and all the other pro bells and whistles. If Canon did that, than
    they would have to bring the 5D in at a significanltly lower cost. Who
    knows we will just have to wait and see.
    , Aug 18, 2005
  19. GTO

    Mark² Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > Dave R knows who wrote:
    >> "GTO" <> wrote in message
    >>> I am probably a few days behind on this one. But how real is the
    >>> Canon 5D? See
    >>> http://news.techwhack.com/1878/canon-5d-is-finally-unveiled/ A
    >>> full-format CMOS chip with 13 MPixels for around US$3500, doesn't
    >>> sound bad at all.

    >> Too much freaking money! I wish it was closer to $2500.

    > One thing it seems to mean is..
    >
    > Buy More Cards.
    >
    > Or a big-volume quick-download device.
    >
    > Arrggghhhhhh.

    It's not as bad as it seems. Consider this:
    When I bought my D30 (100 digital-years ago in 2000), my 1GB microdrive cost
    around $400 (still works every day, too, BTW). Now a 1GB *solid state* card
    (which wasn't even available at that time) can be had for around $70-$90.
    This means we're on a fairly even keel with 2000 in terms of storage cost
    per image, since the D30's 3.25MP creates almost exactly 1/4th the file size
    image that the 5D likely will. With these figures, it becomes clear that
    cost-per image--**even at such high res** is about the same, or even
    cheaper.
    :)
    Now doesn't that just brighten your day?

    Heck...If we stay with the Microdrive comparison, you can get about 4GB for
    less than half what 1GB cost then. That's 8 times cheaper byte for byte,
    and yet the images are only 4 times bigger.
    -By now you should be giddy with laughter...
    Woo-hoo!! -Let's go blow 5 grand! :)

    Mark
    Mark², Aug 18, 2005
  20. GTO

    Brian Baird Guest

    In article <wiVMe.2945$ct5.1509@fed1read04>, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
    even number here)@cox..net> says...
    > Now a 1GB *solid state* card
    > (which wasn't even available at that time) can be had for around $70-$90.

    More like $50-60. Newegg, baby!

    I don't buy the fast stuff - no need, the 10D couldn't use it anyhoo.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
    Brian Baird, Aug 18, 2005