Canon 5D announced !

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Maurice Blanchard, Sep 17, 2008.

    1. Advertising

  1. Maurice Blanchard, Sep 17, 2008

  2. Maurice Blanchard

    Spam This Guest

    Spam This, Sep 17, 2008
  3. Maurice Blanchard

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Sep 17, 2008
  4. Maurice Blanchard

    SMS Guest

    SMS, Sep 17, 2008
  5. Maurice Blanchard, Sep 17, 2008
  6. Maurice Blanchard

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Sep 17, 2008
  7. Maurice Blanchard

    nospam Guest

    In article <PB%zk.544$x%>, SMS
    <> wrote:

    > Why was Canon able to do continuous video up to the memory card limit,
    > while Nikon is limited by sensor over-heating?

    it has nothing to do with sensor overheating and everything to do with
    tariffs on 'video cameras.' canon apparently doesn't mind paying the
    tax or managed to circumvent it somehow.
    nospam, Sep 17, 2008
  8. On 9/16/2008 8:54 PM Maurice Blanchard spake thus:

    > Finally...
    >
    > http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2046

    This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
    which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
    cameras that look like 35mm SLRs (DSLRs).

    Since this post concerns such cameras, the appropriate place for it is
    rec.photo.digital.slr. Please post there in the future.

    - Paulo Freire
    David Nebenzahl, Sep 17, 2008
  9. "David Nebenzahl" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > On 9/16/2008 8:54 PM Maurice Blanchard spake thus:
    >
    > > Finally...
    > >
    > > http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2046

    > This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
    > which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
    > cameras that look like 35mm SLRs (DSLRs).
    >
    > Since this post concerns such cameras, the appropriate place for it is
    > rec.photo.digital.slr. Please post there in the future.

    hahahahaha
    Maurice Blanchard, Sep 17, 2008
  10. Maurice Blanchard

    Me Guest

    ISO 25600

    ISO 25,600 with 21mp will be interesting.
    98% VF - better than D700 - Nikon cheapskated on that.

    Looks pretty good.
    Me, Sep 17, 2008
  11. Maurice Blanchard

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ray Fischer, Sep 17, 2008
  12. Maurice Blanchard

    Me Guest

    Re: ISO 25600

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Me" <> wrote:
    >
    >> ISO 25,600 with 21mp will be interesting.

    > No matter how much better the electronics and microlenses, ISO 25,600 is
    > going to be pretty ugly at the pixel level.
    >
    > I'm much more concerned with the shadow noise at ISO 200. The old 5D was
    > very clean at ISO 200, but was still read (A/D converter, and other
    > electronics-added) noise limited. So there's a good chance that ISO 200 is
    > similar at the pixel level in the 5DII. But one won't be able to use lenses
    > that need to be stopped down to f/16.

    Of course you can still use F16! It might be diffraction limited at
    100% pixel view more than the old 5d was at f16, but on an image basis
    assuming a standard print size etc, it's no more diffraction limited
    than the old model.

    I guess the shadow noise at base ISO will be fine. The old 5d sensor
    is... well old.
    As you print - you'll also know that a lot of the noise about pixel
    level noise on forums etc is bluster from measurebaters who have no idea
    how noise at the pixel level translates to visibility in print. I've
    /sold/ 13x19 prints from an old D70 @ ISO 1600 - and not had one comment
    about grain/noise.

    > At 20mm and f/16 on the 5D, manual focus to 1 meter and everything from 0.5m
    > to infinity was in focus. With the 5DII's smaller CoC, the hyperfocal
    > distance will be more like 7 ft at f/11. Ouch.
    >
    >> 98% VF - better than D700 - Nikon cheapskated on that.
    >>
    >> Looks pretty good.

    > Yep. It'll produce 300 ppi 12 x 18 prints.

    I'm quite impressed - moreso than with the D700. Things like 100% VF
    now matter to me - I don't want to go back. You will love the 3" VGA
    LCD. That gives you about 300dpi/ppi at 100% zoomed view - perfect for
    checking focus.
    Me, Sep 17, 2008
  13. Maurice Blanchard

    Scott W Guest

    On Sep 16, 5:54 pm, "Maurice Blanchard" <> wrote:
    > Finally...
    >
    > http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2046

    I am downloading the landscape sample photo, taking forever to
    download. I really wish they had used a good prime instead of a zoom
    lens for this shot. It looks like the lens has some problems, it look
    really bad on the far left side, on the far right not nearly as bad.

    I would love to see what this camera does with a good 50mm lens at f/8

    Scott
    Scott W, Sep 17, 2008
  14. Maurice Blanchard

    Me Guest

    Re: ISO 25600

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Me" <> wrote:
    >> David J. Littleboy wrote:

    >>> No matter how much better the electronics and microlenses, ISO 25,600 is
    >>> going to be pretty ugly at the pixel level.
    >>>
    >>> I'm much more concerned with the shadow noise at ISO 200. The old 5D was
    >>> very clean at ISO 200, but was still read (A/D converter, and other
    >>> electronics-added) noise limited. So there's a good chance that ISO 200
    >>> is similar at the pixel level in the 5DII. But one won't be able to use
    >>> lenses that need to be stopped down to f/16.
    >>>

    >> Of course you can still use F16! It might be diffraction limited at 100%
    >> pixel view more than the old 5d was at f16, but on an image basis assuming
    >> a standard print size etc, it's no more diffraction limited than the old
    >> model.

    > Right. But then why is one bothering buying a 21MP camera? If I wanted the
    > same IQ, I wouldn't need to buy a 5DII. So if I get a 5DII, I won't be
    > shooting at f/16, thank you. Throwing away US$2700 is something even I'd
    > hesitate at.

    If there's no downside (apart from larger files) because of better
    sensor efficiency, then why not? The better LCD /is/ a valid reason to
    prefer the Mk II - it alone makes chimping worthwhile. I presume
    there's a quick 10x view option - with the D300 I've set it so that one
    click on the 4-way button zooms to 100%, centered on active AF point,
    click again and back to the entire frame. For liveview it's also great
    - tripod work, view at 100% sensor fed - you don't need to upload to a
    PC to know 100% for sure that you nailed focus in the shot.

    > (When I was shooting 645, the bloke at a local camera store gave me the hard
    > sell on a much studier legset than the 5D needs (he demo'd the legset by
    > swinging his whole weight from it, making his sale). It was rather overkill
    > for the 5D, but with the 5DII, it's going to be appreciated again.)
    >
    >> I guess the shadow noise at base ISO will be fine. The old 5d sensor
    >> is... well old.
    >> As you print - you'll also know that a lot of the noise about pixel level
    >> noise on forums etc is bluster from measurebaters who have no idea how
    >> noise at the pixel level translates to visibility in print. I've /sold/
    >> 13x19 prints from an old D70 @ ISO 1600 - and not had one comment about
    >> grain/noise.

    > That says more about the customers than about the camera (actually, the D70
    > wasn't at all bad at ISO 1600). The reason you didn't get any comments,
    > though, is that some photograph is often better than no photograph, and IQ
    > only really counts when the bloke displaying at the gallery next to you
    > shoots with a bigger format and heavier tripod.

    No - the D70 was really quite bad at ISO1600. Even at 100% pixel view.
    I'd rate the D300 a stop better, the D3 over 2 stops better for noise,
    add another stop for the extra pixels. The Canon cameras of the time
    (350d/20d) were a stop better.

    >>> Yep. It'll produce 300 ppi 12 x 18 prints.
    >>>

    >> I'm quite impressed - moreso than with the D700. Things like 100% VF now
    >> matter to me - I don't want to go back. You will love the 3" VGA LCD.
    >> That gives you about 300dpi/ppi at 100% zoomed view - perfect for checking
    >> focus.

    > Well, it's 98% instead of the 5D's 96% and the D700's 95%. Not 100%, but
    > better.
    >
    > The current 5D LCD preview is a disaster: it doesn't get anywhere near a
    > 100% view, and everything looks mushy unless you crank the jpeg sharpening
    > settings, at which point you can't tell anything about focus either. It'd be
    > nice if the new one were better.

    With the D300 (and presumably D3/700) shooting raw, the screen is "too
    good". Artifacts in the embedded jpeg in the raw file are clearly
    visible on the screen. Not sure how Canon handle this - it didn't
    matter with my 5d.

    Me, Sep 17, 2008
  15. Maurice Blanchard

    SMS Guest

    Maurice Blanchard wrote:
    > Finally...
    >
    > http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2046

    Thank you for posting this in rec.photo.equipment.35mm. Per the charter,
    this group is concerned with all aspects of 35mm photography, regardless
    of whether the images are captured on film sensors or digital sensors.

    Please continue to post information about all 35mm cameras in this group.
    SMS, Sep 17, 2008
  16. Maurice Blanchard

    james Guest

    Flash sync 1/200s is a bit disappointing. Shouldn't pro level camera sync at
    1/250 or faster?
    The 50D is 1/250s.

    This would force users to use canon branded flash with high-speed sync.
    james, Sep 17, 2008
  17. Maurice Blanchard

    Rol_Lei Nut Guest

    Rol_Lei Nut, Sep 17, 2008
  18. Maurice Blanchard

    Spam This Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > In article <PB%zk.544$x%>, SMS
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Why was Canon able to do continuous video up to the memory card limit,
    >> while Nikon is limited by sensor over-heating?

    > it has nothing to do with sensor overheating and everything to do with
    > tariffs on 'video cameras.' canon apparently doesn't mind paying the
    > tax or managed to circumvent it somehow.

    Canon doesn't pay the tariffs, it'll will be tacked onto the emd-price.
    Spam This, Sep 17, 2008
  19. Maurice Blanchard

    Bruce Guest

    Rol_Lei Nut <> wrote:

    >Maurice Blanchard wrote:
    >> Finally...
    >>
    >> http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2046
    >>

    >The real question is:
    >Do you still have to shave the mirror in order to use decent wides on it?

    No, there's no need to shave the mirror. The new 5D Mark II model has
    an automatic sensor that turns off the camera when a Leica or Contax
    lens is fitted via an adapter.
    Bruce, Sep 17, 2008