    isn't [shouldn't be] the problem.)

    Any ideas from owners of both?

    Jeff

    ½ Confused, Apr 2, 2006

  2. ½ Confused

    Ray Fischer Guest

    ½ Confused <> wrote:
    >I'm using a Canon 5D with a 580EX flash and the 2nd (rear) curtain
    >sync does not work. I've RTFM on both, checked all the settings, and
    >it doesn't work. I was planning to use the flash mostly in Av mode
    >taking advantage of the pre-flash when appropriate... tried other
    >modes for testing w/out success.
    >
    >(There isn't a documented curtain sync selection in the 580ex so that
    >isn't [shouldn't be] the problem.)
    >
    >Any ideas from owners of both?

    The flash settings will override the camera settings. Don't know if
    that's useful.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Apr 3, 2006

  3. ½ Confused

    ½ Confused Guest

    Rehrasing the question:

    I have a Canon 5D and a 580EX flash. I cannot get rear (2nd curtain)
    sync to work. I've read all the manuals, checked the settings, and
    studied the relevant sections of the excellent 3rd party EOS flash
    white paper as well as Canon's stuff (which side-steps the rear
    curtain). (I'm convinced at this point the 580EX doesn't do 2nd
    curtain... would like to know before calling Canon tomorrow.)

    Are any 5D owners using 2nd curtain sync, and if so, what flash are
    you using and were there any undocumented settings involved?

    Jeff

    ½ Confused, Apr 3, 2006
  4. "½ Confused" <> wrote in message
    > Rehrasing the question:
    >
    > I have a Canon 5D and a 580EX flash. I cannot get rear (2nd curtain)
    > sync to work. I've read all the manuals, checked the settings, and
    > studied the relevant sections of the excellent 3rd party EOS flash
    > white paper as well as Canon's stuff (which side-steps the rear
    > curtain). (I'm convinced at this point the 580EX doesn't do 2nd
    > curtain... would like to know before calling Canon tomorrow.)
    >
    > Are any 5D owners using 2nd curtain sync, and if so, what flash are
    > you using and were there any undocumented settings involved?
    >
    > Jeff

    Hi Jeff.

    Am I correct in assuming that you've done a full test to ensure that second
    curtain sync is not actually happening?

    I have a 350D and 430EX and wanted to demo the second-curtain sync to a
    friend.

    I got my friend to hold a torch in her left hand. Her hands were apart and
    she slowly swungher left hand, with the torch, over to meet her right hand.
    I took two photos. Each used a slow shutter speed; one used second curtain
    sync and the other used first curtain sync.

    With first curtain sync we could see that her hands were apart and the line
    traced out by the torch light went between the two hands.
    With second curtain sync her hands were together and the line from. the
    torch light led up to her hands.

    Apologies if I'm trying to tell you something which you have already tried.

    Regards, Ian.

    Fred Anonymous, Apr 3, 2006
  5. In article <>, ½ Confused
    <> writes
    >I'm using a Canon 5D with a 580EX flash and the 2nd (rear) curtain
    >sync does not work. I've RTFM on both, checked all the settings, and
    >it doesn't work. I was planning to use the flash mostly in Av mode
    >taking advantage of the pre-flash when appropriate... tried other
    >modes for testing w/out success.
    >
    >(There isn't a documented curtain sync selection in the 580ex so that
    >isn't [shouldn't be] the problem.)
    >
    >Any ideas from owners of both?

    RTF_p26_M ;-)

    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Apr 3, 2006
  6. In article <>, ½ Confused
    <> writes
    >Rehrasing the question:
    >
    >I have a Canon 5D and a 580EX flash. I cannot get rear (2nd curtain)
    >sync to work. I've read all the manuals, checked the settings, and
    >studied the relevant sections of the excellent 3rd party EOS flash
    >white paper as well as Canon's stuff (which side-steps the rear
    >curtain). (I'm convinced at this point the 580EX doesn't do 2nd
    >curtain... would like to know before calling Canon tomorrow.)
    >
    >Are any 5D owners using 2nd curtain sync, and if so, what flash are
    >you using and were there any undocumented settings involved?

    Hi Jeff,
    I have this combo and it does 2nd curtain sync without any problems.

    Be sure that you are not mistaking the pre-flash, which occurs just
    before the mirror goes up, with the main flash which will fire at the
    end of the exposure. This can be particularly confusing if you set the
    camera to Av and the flash to 2cs, since the shutter stays open until
    the background is exposed correctly before firing the main flash and
    closing.

    2cs is enabled on the flash, not the camera. Press the second button
    from the right until the 2cs symbol (three overlapping right facing
    triangles) lights up in the flash display - this should be two presses
    from the default at power on (first press enables high speed flash
    mode). If you try this with the camera in manual mode with a slow
    shutter speed, say half a second, you will clearly see the preflash
    followed half a second later by the main flash.

    First test is whether you can get the 2cs symbol to appear on the 580EX
    flash unit. You should be able to do that whether it is connected to
    the camera or not. If that is OK then you shouldn't have a problem.

    Incidentally, do you find the battery cover for the 580EX somewhat
    clunky? The hinge seems to stick regularly and I expect it to break off
    in my hand when I open it to put new batteries in this flash. Otherwise,
    I have no complaints.
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Apr 3, 2006
  7. ½ Confused

    This old Bob Guest

    "Kennedy McEwen" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, ½ Confused
    > <> writes

    > Incidentally, do you find the battery cover for the 580EX somewhat clunky?
    > The hinge seems to stick regularly and I expect it to break off in my hand
    > when I open it to put new batteries in this flash. Otherwise, I have no
    > complaints.

    Is that the same as on my 550EX? Better or worse?

    This old Bob, Apr 3, 2006
  8. In article <4431931e$0$58097$>, This old Bob
    <> writes

    >"Kennedy McEwen" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, ½ Confused
    >> <> writes

    >> Incidentally, do you find the battery cover for the 580EX somewhat clunky?
    >> The hinge seems to stick regularly and I expect it to break off in my hand
    >> when I open it to put new batteries in this flash. Otherwise, I have no
    >> complaints.

    >Is that the same as on my 550EX? Better or worse?

    It looks like a similar mechanism, but I have no idea whether it is
    better or worse than the one I have. I keep meaning to check against
    others in store, but haven't got round to it.
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Apr 3, 2006
  9. ½ Confused

    Skip M Guest

    "This old Bob" <> wrote in message

    > "Kennedy McEwen" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, ½ Confused
    >> <> writes

    >> Incidentally, do you find the battery cover for the 580EX somewhat
    >> clunky? The hinge seems to stick regularly and I expect it to break off
    >> in my hand when I open it to put new batteries in this flash. Otherwise,
    >> I have no complaints.

    > Is that the same as on my 550EX? Better or worse?

    It's the same as the 550, and the 540EZ before it. The one major complaint
    I have about the flashes. I'm a little ham handed, and not very patient, so
    it's a wonder that I haven't broken the door on any of the three flashes I
    have with that same door design...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Apr 3, 2006
  10. In article <oBhYf.2509$qd.395@fed1read08>, Skip M
    <> writes
    >"This old Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Kennedy McEwen" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <>, ½ Confused
    >>> <> writes

    >>> Incidentally, do you find the battery cover for the 580EX somewhat
    >>> clunky? The hinge seems to stick regularly and I expect it to break off
    >>> in my hand when I open it to put new batteries in this flash. Otherwise,
    >>> I have no complaints.

    >> Is that the same as on my 550EX? Better or worse?
    >>

    >It's the same as the 550, and the 540EZ before it. The one major complaint
    >I have about the flashes. I'm a little ham handed, and not very patient, so
    >it's a wonder that I haven't broken the door on any of the three flashes I
    >have with that same door design...

    Actually, Skip, that *is* reassuring. Even though it looks like a
    candidate for a fracture, your experience suggests it isn't. It is
    certainly the worst battery cover design I have ever encountered. How
    long have you been using the older flashes?
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Apr 4, 2006
  11. ½ Confused

    Frank B Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > "This old Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Kennedy McEwen" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <>, ½ Confused
    >>> <> writes

    >>> Incidentally, do you find the battery cover for the 580EX somewhat
    >>> clunky? The hinge seems to stick regularly and I expect it to break off
    >>> in my hand when I open it to put new batteries in this flash. Otherwise,
    >>> I have no complaints.

    >> Is that the same as on my 550EX? Better or worse?
    >>

    > It's the same as the 550, and the 540EZ before it. The one major
    > complaint I have about the flashes. I'm a little ham handed, and not very
    > patient, so it's a wonder that I haven't broken the door on any of the
    > three flashes I have with that same door design...
    >
    > --
    > Skip Middleton
    > http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Agree. I hated the design on my 550 and also hate the 580. Every time I
    close it I feel like I'm exerting way to much pressure on the hinge. Makes
    battery changes take much longer.

    But I guess if none of us have actually broken the door, perhaps the design
    is better than we're giving credit for?

    Frank B, Apr 4, 2006
  12. ½ Confused

    Skip M Guest

    > In article <oBhYf.2509$qd.395@fed1read08>, Skip M <>
    > writes
    >>"This old Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Kennedy McEwen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Is that the same as on my 550EX? Better or worse?
    >>>

    >>It's the same as the 550, and the 540EZ before it. The one major
    >>complaint
    >>I have about the flashes. I'm a little ham handed, and not very patient,
    >>so
    >>it's a wonder that I haven't broken the door on any of the three flashes I
    >>have with that same door design...
    >>

    > Actually, Skip, that *is* reassuring. Even though it looks like a
    > candidate for a fracture, your experience suggests it isn't. It is
    > certainly the worst battery cover design I have ever encountered. How
    > long have you been using the older flashes?

    Well, I've had a 540EZ for about 6 years, the 420EX since June, '04. I
    never owned a 550EX, rented or borrowed one when I needed it. I've had the
    580EX since Oct, '05...

    Skip M, Apr 4, 2006
  13. ½ Confused

    Skip M Guest

    "Frank B" <frankb (at) dca (dot) net> wrote in message

    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    >> "This old Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Kennedy McEwen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Is that the same as on my 550EX? Better or worse?
    >>>

    >> It's the same as the 550, and the 540EZ before it. The one major
    >> complaint I have about the flashes. I'm a little ham handed, and not
    >> very patient, so it's a wonder that I haven't broken the door on any of
    >> the three flashes I have with that same door design...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Skip Middleton
    >> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    >>

    > Agree. I hated the design on my 550 and also hate the 580. Every time I
    > close it I feel like I'm exerting way to much pressure on the hinge.
    > Makes battery changes take much longer.
    >
    > But I guess if none of us have actually broken the door, perhaps the
    > design is better than we're giving credit for?

    Possibly. But one way I've avoided it, lately, is to use an external
    battery pack on the 580. The door gets opened about once every two weeks,
    now... ;-)

    Skip M, Apr 4, 2006
  14. ½ Confused

    ½ Confused Guest

    "Fred Anonymous" <> wrote:

    > Hi Jeff.
    >
    > Am I correct in assuming that you've done a full test to ensure
    > that second curtain sync is not actually happening?

    Yeah, I tested way too much. It wasn't happening.
    See next posted message. ;-)

    Jeff

    ½ Confused, Apr 4, 2006
  15. ½ Confused

    ½ Confused Guest

    On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:32:12 +0100
    In message <>
    Kennedy McEwen <> wrote:

    > Hi Jeff,
    > I have this combo and it does 2nd curtain sync without any problems.

    All of a sudden, it seems to work! The only reason I can think of for
    it not working before was that Page 26 was blank until today.

    No, really... ;-()

    > 2cs is enabled on the flash, not the camera.

    Thanks...don't know how I missed it.

    > Incidentally, do you find the battery cover for the 580EX somewhat
    > clunky? The hinge seems to stick regularly and I expect it to break off
    > in my hand when I open it to put new batteries in this flash. Otherwise,
    > I have no complaints.

    My first impression of the flash was how cheaply built if felt for
    Canon's top of the line item. I've seen worse battery doors so it
    doesn't bother me too much.

    Jeff

    ½ Confused, Apr 4, 2006
  16. ½ Confused

    ½ Confused Guest

    Kennedy wrote:

    > ½ Confused writes
    >
    > > I've RTFM on both, checked all the settings, and <SNIP>

    > RTF_p26_M ;-)

    P~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Flips to page 26...

    "Synchronisation sur le deuxieme rideau"

    Finds another page 26...

    "Sincronization a la segunda cortinilla"

    Grrr... jibberish... looks for another page 26...

    Oh. OH! Now, how could I have missed that?
    One page in front of the C.Fn section.

    Sheesh... I remember turning the page, seeing the page on how to
    change the flash C.Fn numbers, and turned the page to the function
    descriptions. Skipped right over it, I did... three times.

    Thanks for the heads up. ;)

    Jeff

    ½ Confused, Apr 4, 2006