    flash on a 20D? Or are they 'truly wireless?

    If they are triggered by the camera flash, does that mean that if the flash
    is facing an umbrella/softbox behind you(ish), it may not fire?

    Matt, Nov 18, 2004

  2. Matt

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Matt"

    >Does the 550EX and 420EX wireless mode work from the flash from the built in
    >flash on a 20D?

    No.

    >Or are they 'truly wireless?

    "Wireless" if you buy the Canon ST-E2 controller, which sits in your hotshoe
    and controls the flashes remotely.

    >If they are triggered by the camera flash, does that mean that if the flash
    >is facing an umbrella/softbox behind you(ish), it may not fire?

    The ST-E2 will fire them within a certain distance unless something is blocking
    the signal, like placing the strobes behind something to backlight it. Usually
    you can move them within range. Should be no problem at all getting them to
    fire into an umbrella.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 18, 2004

  3. Matt

    Doug Warner Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote:

    >Does the 550EX and 420EX wireless mode work from the flash from the built in
    >flash on a 20D? Or are they 'truly wireless?
    >
    >If they are triggered by the camera flash, does that mean that if the flash
    >is facing an umbrella/softbox behind you(ish), it may not fire?

    No, they need the ST-E2 transmitter:
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=141&modelid=8304

    Now, it would have been nice if they gave the on-camera flash the
    ability to trigger these flashes, but then the user would have to
    attach a red filter or deflector to avoid direct reflections and
    red-eye. Personally, I'd end up losing this device in the first
    month.

    To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

    Doug Warner, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Matt

    Matt Guest

    So, how is it triggered?

    Matt, Nov 18, 2004
  5. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Minolta Flash will trigger from the built in flash, why not Canon?

    Also, Minolta do not need filters or deflectors.

    Matt, Nov 18, 2004
  6. Matt

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Matt"

    >So, how is it triggered?

    As was explained several times, you have wireless control with full E-TTL
    functionality with the ST-E2 transmitter.

    If you just want to fire them in manual mode get a couple of peanut slaves and
    trigger these from the pop-up flash.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 18, 2004
  7. Matt

    Eric Miller Guest

    >Does the 550EX and 420EX wireless mode work from the flash from the built
    in
    > flash on a 20D? Or are they 'truly wireless?

    No, they are not triggered by the built-in flash on the 20D.

    Yes, they are truly wireless and would be so even if they were triggered by
    the built in flash, as long as they aren't triggered by wire.

    The 550ex and 420ex are triggered by infrared signals emitted by either a
    550ex or a Canon ST-E2 flash transmitter and either method works pretty
    well.

    > If they are triggered by the camera flash, does that mean that if the

    flash
    > is facing an umbrella/softbox behind you(ish), it may not fire?

    As stated above, they aren't triggered by the camera flash, though it might
    be possible to make them triggered by the camera flash with additional
    equipment (but the 550ex will only fire once if triggered by some optical
    slaves and then you will have to physically separate the 550ex from the
    optical slave to make it fire again!). When the ST-E2 transmitter is used,
    the 550ex and 420ex only seem to work in E-TTL mode with pre-flash and all
    ( a bummer if you are trying to remotely trigger these two flashes to shoot
    hummingbirds, but as you can see in this link
    http://www.dyesscreek.com/Hummers_Web_Page/pages/Summer Hummer 2.htm, it
    isn't impossible.That shot was done with one 550ex and one 420ex, both in
    front of the camera and controlled with an ST-E2 transmitter on a Canon 10D.
    Luckily, the bird didn't flinch at the E-TTL pre-flash like some of the
    birds in the other photos on my site.

    Canon states that the flashes can operate from bounced signals indoors so it
    may be possible to put the flashes behind the camera. Additionallyk, there
    may be brackets or off-camera dedicated cords that will allow you to point
    the infrared transmitter on the ST-E2 or 550ex at the slave flashes behind
    the camera. However, when mounted on the camera, the transmitters on both
    the 550ex and ST-E2 only point directly forward. The actual flash head on
    the 550ex can be pointed in almost any direction that isn't down.

    Eric Miller

    Eric Miller, Nov 18, 2004
  8. Matt

    Mark B. Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    > Minolta Flash will trigger from the built in flash, why not Canon?

    Because that's the way Canon chose to implement it. You can also trigger
    any E-TTL flash with a 550EX or 580EX mounted on the camera.

    > Also, Minolta do not need filters or deflectors.

    Neither do Canon.

    Mark

    Mark B., Nov 19, 2004