  1. This Old Man

    This Old Man Guest

    What is the difference?
    This Old Man, Oct 17, 2003

  2. This Old Man

    Robertwgross Guest

    This Old Man wrote:
    >What is the difference?

    The physical package has a different shape.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Oct 17, 2003

  3. This Old Man

    Wim Joppe Guest

    This Old Man wrote:
    > What is the difference?

    Difference between what?
    Wim Joppe, Oct 17, 2003
  4. This Old Man

    Tim McTeague Guest

    Wim Joppe wrote:
    > This Old Man wrote:
    >> What is the difference?
    >>

    > Difference between what?

    Uhh, read the subject. Between the 511 and 512 batteries! They both seem
    to have the same mAh rating, 1100, and Canon claims the same running time
    for each. The only difference I can find is the BP-511 is said to fit 10,
    D30 and D60 AND the Digital Rebel whereas the BP-512 fits most of the
    camcorders AND the Digital Rebel.

    http://www.canoncompanystore.com/cgi-bin/annex.storefront/index.html

    Tim McTeague
    Tim McTeague, Oct 17, 2003
  5. This Old Man

    Jim Townsend Guest

    This Old Man wrote:

    > What is the difference?

    Shape and color.. (I just happen to have both :)

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/511-512.jpg

    The one on the left is the BP-512.. The one on the right is the BP-511

    The groove is missing on the BP-512. This prevents it from fitting in some of
    the earlier cameras like the G1 and Pro90. There is a hump in the battery
    compartments and the groove is needed to clear it.

    Otherwise, the inner workings of the Canon brand batteries are all the same.
    Aftermarket ones might vary, but it depends on the manufacturer.
    Jim Townsend, Oct 18, 2003
  6. This Old Man

    Scott Coutts Guest

    Tim McTeague wrote:

    > Wim Joppe wrote:
    >
    >>This Old Man wrote:
    >>
    >>>What is the difference?
    >>>

    >>Difference between what?

    > Uhh, read the subject. Between the 511 and 512 batteries! They both seem
    > to have the same mAh rating, 1100, and Canon claims the same running time
    > for each. The only difference I can find is the BP-511 is said to fit 10,
    > D30 and D60 AND the Digital Rebel whereas the BP-512 fits most of the
    > camcorders AND the Digital Rebel.
    >
    > http://www.canoncompanystore.com/cgi-bin/annex.storefront/index.html
    >
    > Tim McTeague

    Both will fit in the 10D, but not the BG-ED3 grip. Only the 511
    batteries will fit in the grip.
    Scott Coutts, Oct 18, 2003
  7. "Tim McTeague" <> writes:

    >Uhh, read the subject. Between the 511 and 512 batteries! They both seem
    >to have the same mAh rating, 1100, and Canon claims the same running time
    >for each. The only difference I can find is the BP-511 is said to fit 10,
    >D30 and D60 AND the Digital Rebel whereas the BP-512 fits most of the
    >camcorders AND the Digital Rebel.

    The 511 has an outer housing shape that looks like two cylindrical cells
    with a groove in between them. The 512 flattens out the rear of the
    pack. They're apparently identical inside. Both work equally well when
    mounted on the outside of a camcorder, but the 512 looks prettier -
    that's the only reason it exists.

    Both work equally well in a digicam, but some earlier Canon gear
    apparently had battery compartments that fit the 511 only. Later stuff
    allowed extra room for the 512.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Oct 19, 2003
  8. (Dave Martindale) wrote in

    > "Tim McTeague" <> writes:
    >
    >>Uhh, read the subject. Between the 511 and 512 batteries! They
    >>both seem to have the same mAh rating, 1100, and Canon claims the
    >>same running time for each. The only difference I can find is the
    >>BP-511 is said to fit 10, D30 and D60 AND the Digital Rebel
    >>whereas the BP-512 fits most of the camcorders AND the Digital
    >>Rebel.

    > The 511 has an outer housing shape that looks like two cylindrical
    > cells with a groove in between them. The 512 flattens out the
    > rear of the pack. They're apparently identical inside. Both work
    > equally well when mounted on the outside of a camcorder, but the
    > 512 looks prettier - that's the only reason it exists.
    >
    > Both work equally well in a digicam, but some earlier Canon gear
    > apparently had battery compartments that fit the 511 only. Later
    > stuff allowed extra room for the 512.
    >
    > Dave

    Minor point, but the 10D battery grip can only use the 511s while the
    camera can use either, so if you are ever going to buy the grip make
    sure you only buy 511s.
    Mike Latondresse, Oct 19, 2003