Canon 50D?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eric Miller, Aug 22, 2008.

  1. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    Eric Miller, Aug 22, 2008

  2. Eric Miller

    Bruce Guest

    Eric Miller <> wrote:

    >I figured that a 5D replacement was coming, not that I really care. My
    >5D will be with me till it falls apart.
    >
    >http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_50D.html

    There is no suggestion that the 50D will be full frame.

    Therefore, it cannot possibly be a replacement for the 5D.
    Bruce, Aug 22, 2008

  3. "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > Eric Miller <> wrote:
    >>
    >>I figured that a 5D replacement was coming, not that I really care. My
    >>5D will be with me till it falls apart.
    >>
    >>http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_50D.html

    > There is no suggestion that the 50D will be full frame.
    >
    > Therefore, it cannot possibly be a replacement for the 5D.

    This is what Canon Canada have tagged as the 40+ Canon will give formal
    word of these the 7D and the 50D today in Montreal.
    Darrell A. Larose, Aug 22, 2008
  4. >
    > But that's talking about the entirely on-schedule 40D replacement.

    the 40D is only 1 year old btw.
    Maurice Blanchard, Aug 22, 2008
  5. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    > Therefore, it cannot possibly be a replacement for the 5D.

    .. . . nor did I claim that it was.

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com
    Eric Miller, Aug 22, 2008
  6. Eric Miller

    Bruce Guest

    "Eric Miller" <> wrote:

    >> Therefore, it cannot possibly be a replacement for the 5D.
    >>

    >. . . nor did I claim that it was.

    Then why did you introduce your article with:

    "I figured that a 5D replacement was coming ..."?
    Bruce, Aug 22, 2008
  7. Eric Miller

    John Sheehy Guest

    Bruce <> wrote in news:2f0ta4lf4b9d4o3o7iu9irr8qcn67gto09@
    4ax.com:

    > There is no suggestion that the 50D will be full frame.

    > Therefore, it cannot possibly be a replacement for the 5D.

    Why would a camera series *ever* be expected to have a change of sensor
    size? That should require the introduction of a new series. There are
    advantages to all sizes of sensor.

    In order to have a "reach-resolve" better than the 40D, a FF camera would
    need more than 26 MP. If they ended the 1.6 crop with the 40D, and the
    "replacement" had a lower pixel density, that would be a degrade, not an
    upgrade, IMO.

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    John Sheehy, Aug 22, 2008
  8. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    Bruce wrote:
    > "Eric Miller" <> wrote:
    >

    >>>Therefore, it cannot possibly be a replacement for the 5D.
    >>>

    >>. . . nor did I claim that it was.

    > Then why did you introduce your article with:
    >
    > "I figured that a 5D replacement was coming ..."?

    Perhaps a better phrasing would have been, "I expected a 5D replacement
    but here's what we get instead." I guess my diction assumed the
    obviousness of your statement in response.

    Eric Miller
    www.colibrihotsauce.com
    Eric Miller, Aug 23, 2008
  9. On 8/21/2008 7:54 PM Eric Miller spake thus:

    > I figured that a 5D replacement was coming, not that I really care. My
    > 5D will be with me till it falls apart.
    >
    > http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_50D.html

    This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
    which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
    cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.

    Please use an appropriate newsgroup for postings on digital cameras. One
    of the following groups would be a good place for such postings:

    rec.photo.digital
    rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
    rec.photo.digital.rangefinder
    rec.photo.digital.slr
    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    (Note that the list of groups available to you depends on what your ISP
    or news provider carries, and may differ from this list)

    --
    "In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
    population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

    - Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
    presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
    Authority".
    David Nebenzahl, Aug 23, 2008
  10. Eric Miller

    Bob Guest

    Bob, Aug 23, 2008
  11. Eric Miller

    SMS Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <48afa5ef$0$31974$>, David
    > Nebenzahl says...
    >> On 8/21/2008 7:54 PM Eric Miller spake thus:
    >>
    >>> I figured that a 5D replacement was coming, not that I really care. My
    >>> 5D will be with me till it falls apart.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_50D.html

    >> This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
    >> which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
    >> cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.

    > The charter of rec.photo.equipment.35mm does not mention film cameras:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.photo-
    > reorg2
    >
    > CHARTER: rec.photo.equipment.35mm
    >
    > rec.photo.equipment.35mm 35mm format equipment discussion
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > This group is for the discussion of all aspects of 35mm camera
    > equipment.
    > This includes 35mm SLR camera bodies and lenses, 35mm point-and-shoot
    > cameras, 35mm rangefinder cameras, 35mm scale focus cameras and
    > 35mm half-frame cameras.
    >
    > In other words discussion on a full frame DSLR is on topic in
    > rec.photo.equipment.35mm.

    As someone else pointed out, the charter also mentions "half frame."
    Half frame 35mm was very close is size to APS-C.

    Regardless, many of us have both film and digital bodies, and
    interchange components between them. Even if the charter did restrict
    discussion to film a lot of the posts on equipment are relevant to both
    groups.
    SMS, Aug 23, 2008
  12. On 8/23/2008 12:59 AM Alfred Molon spake thus:

    > In article <48afa5ef$0$31974$>, David
    > Nebenzahl says...
    >
    >> On 8/21/2008 7:54 PM Eric Miller spake thus:
    >>
    >> > I figured that a 5D replacement was coming, not that I really care. My
    >> > 5D will be with me till it falls apart.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_50D.html

    >> This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
    >> which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
    >> cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.

    > The charter of rec.photo.equipment.35mm does not mention film cameras:

    [snip charter]

    No, because it was implicit: at the time, the vast majority of cameras
    were film cameras, and 35mm was *implicitly* understood as applying to
    what were once called "miniature" cameras that use 35mm film.

    David Nebenzahl, Aug 23, 2008
  13. On 8/23/2008 7:28 AM John McWilliams spake thus:

    > Bob wrote:
    >
    >> "Eric Miller" <> wrote in message
    >>> I figured that a 5D replacement was coming, not that I really care. My 5D
    >>> will be with me till it falls apart.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_50D.html
    >>>
    >>> Eric Miller
    >>> www.colibrihotsauce.com

    >> who cares

    > I do! So do 68.4% of the lurkers in theses NGs.

    As confirmed by Nielsen, right?

    (Nielsen is a big market-share-measuring company for all you non-USAns)

    David Nebenzahl, Aug 24, 2008
  14. Eric Miller

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : > I figured that a 5D replacement was coming, not that I really care. My
    : > 5D will be with me till it falls apart.
    : >
    : > http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_50D.html
    :
    : This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
    : which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
    : cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.
    :
    : Please use an appropriate newsgroup for postings on digital cameras. One
    : of the following groups would be a good place for such postings:
    :
    : rec.photo.digital
    : rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
    : rec.photo.digital.rangefinder
    : rec.photo.digital.slr
    : rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    :
    : (Note that the list of groups available to you depends on what your ISP
    : or news provider carries, and may differ from this list)

    You've told us repeatedly what you think; we don't agree with you; now please
    buzz off.

    If crossposting bothers you so much, go find a newsreader that will mark an
    article read in all other newsgroups when you've read it in one. Such are
    available if you look around. Google is your friend.

    And as I think others have mentioned, three of the five newsgroups in your
    list are not widely distributed.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 24, 2008
  15. Eric Miller

    measekite Guest

    Bruce wrote:
    > Eric Miller <> wrote:
    >
    >> I figured that a 5D replacement was coming, not that I really care. My
    >> 5D will be with me till it falls apart.
    >>
    >> http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_50D.html
    >>

    > There is no suggestion that the 50D will be full frame.
    >
    > Therefore, it cannot possibly be a replacement for the 5D.

    One feature I would like to see on all Canon DSLR is an articulating LCD
    like the one of the Canon S5 IS.
    measekite, Aug 24, 2008
  16. Eric Miller

    SMS Guest

    measekite wrote:

    > Bruce wrote:
    >> Eric Miller <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I figured that a 5D replacement was coming, not that I really care.
    >>> My 5D will be with me till it falls apart.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_50D.html
    >>>

    >> There is no suggestion that the 50D will be full frame.
    >> Therefore, it cannot possibly be a replacement for the 5D.
    >>

    > One feature I would like to see on all Canon DSLR is an articulating LCD
    > like the one of the Canon S5 IS.

    Indeed, that was a great feature on the G series as well, that Canon
    dropped, presumably for cost reasons.
    SMS, Aug 24, 2008
  17. On 8/24/2008 5:37 AM Robert Coe spake thus:

    > On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:55:59 -0700, David Nebenzahl <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > : This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
    > : which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
    > : cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.
    > :
    > : Please use an appropriate newsgroup for postings on digital cameras. One
    > : of the following groups would be a good place for such postings:
    > :
    > : rec.photo.digital
    > : rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
    > : rec.photo.digital.rangefinder
    > : rec.photo.digital.slr
    > : rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    > :
    > : (Note that the list of groups available to you depends on what your ISP
    > : or news provider carries, and may differ from this list)
    >
    > And as I think others have mentioned, three of the five newsgroups in your
    > list are not widely distributed.

    True, but notice I made no claims as to what groups were or weren't
    widely distributed (I actually have no idea which ones are, apart from
    the top-level ones like r.p.digital which I *assume* are widely
    distributed). Just pointing out what's there.

    David Nebenzahl, Aug 25, 2008
  18. On 8/22/2008 2:59 PM John Sheehy spake thus:

    David Nebenzahl, Aug 25, 2008
  19. On 8/24/2008 5:59 AM measekite spake thus:

    David Nebenzahl, Aug 25, 2008
  20. On 8/24/2008 7:22 AM SMS spake thus:

    David Nebenzahl, Aug 25, 2008