    you can find the comparison in this site;

    http://photolectic.com/reviews/dslr/comparison-canon-40d-vs.-nikon-d300.html

    Regards
    MokiDuck, Sep 13, 2007

  2. MokiDuck

    Sosumi Guest

    "MokiDuck" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all. I'm new to the group. I wanted to share the comparison 40D and
    > D300 with you all. I was looking to buy a D300. But then I read about
    > the comparison and thought D300 is not so necessary for me. What do
    > you think about that? I'm afraid of buying wrong cam for me
    > so...Should I give 500$ more and buy D300 or 40D is enough? By the way
    > you can find the comparison in this site;
    >
    > http://photolectic.com/reviews/dslr/comparison-canon-40d-vs.-nikon-d300.html

    This comparison is worthless. Read the real specs and see what else the
    Nikon has to offer, like two liveview modes... I´m waiting for mine
    already...
    Sosumi, Sep 13, 2007

  3. Sosumi wrote:

    > This comparison is worthless. Read the real specs and see what else
    > the Nikon has to offer, like two liveview modes... I´m waiting for
    > mine already...

    I think Nikon and Canon made a fatal mistake by not offering a Dead View
    mode that would be more beneficial for forensics. Maybe on following models
    they will get it right?

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 13, 2007
  4. MokiDuck

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 06:21:58 -0400, Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dead Head
    wrote:

    >> This comparison is worthless. Read the real specs and see what else
    >> the Nikon has to offer, like two liveview modes... I´m waiting for
    >> mine already...

    > I think Nikon and Canon made a fatal mistake by not offering a Dead View
    > mode that would be more beneficial for forensics. Maybe on following models
    > they will get it right?

    Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait for Nikon to release their D400
    which will have Live/Dead View modes. For this, I too am Grateful.
    ASAAR, Sep 13, 2007
  5. MokiDuck

    Paul J Gans Guest

    MokiDuck <> wrote:
    >Hi all. I'm new to the group. I wanted to share the comparison 40D and
    >D300 with you all. I was looking to buy a D300. But then I read about
    >the comparison and thought D300 is not so necessary for me. What do
    >you think about that? I'm afraid of buying wrong cam for me
    >so...Should I give 500$ more and buy D300 or 40D is enough? By the way
    >you can find the comparison in this site;

    >http://photolectic.com/reviews/dslr/comparison-canon-40d-vs.-nikon-d300.html

    That's a choice only you can make. Some of us have large
    investments in lenses and switching brands would be a major
    financial undertaking.

    But if you have a free choice, take your pick.

    That said, I'd wait for some reviews of actual production cameras.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Sep 13, 2007
  6. Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > Sosumi wrote:
    >
    >> This comparison is worthless. Read the real specs and see what else
    >> the Nikon has to offer, like two liveview modes... I'm waiting for
    >> mine already...

    > I think Nikon and Canon made a fatal mistake by not offering a Dead View
    > mode that would be more beneficial for forensics. Maybe on following models
    > they will get it right?

    CSI has always preferred Nikon ... it has the best dead view of them all ...
    they don't even need to advertise it.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from the
    machinations of the wicked.
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 13, 2007
  7. MokiDuck

    Gino Guest

    Basically, you won't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon as they are both
    great products. Remember you are just comparing bodies. If you are not
    already committed to certain brand accessories, before committing to a body
    also look at the other items such as lenses, etc.

    Me personally, I would go for the 40D, but that's because I shoot on a 20D
    and absolutely love the results I get (which I guess is probably the same
    for Nikon users). I also love the UI/simplicity of the controls and dials
    on the Canon because I can quickly/easily get the body to do what I want it
    to.

    I also like the Canon lens range, and for me personally lenses are more
    important than the body, as long as the body is capable of getting the shots
    I want.

    Looking at the specs, there is only one Nikon item that I would like on the
    40D and that is ISO 6400. Although, I would be interested to see the noise
    levels of shots taken at ISO 6400.

    Remember, some specs are biased, for example comparing a 10MP compact P&S to
    a 10MP DSLR. 10 MP maybe, but there's a lot more to take into
    consideration.

    Gino, Sep 13, 2007
  8. MokiDuck

    Charles Guest

    > Looking at the specs, there is only one Nikon item that I would like on
    > the 40D and that is ISO 6400. Although, I would be interested to see the
    > noise levels of shots taken at ISO 6400.

    Me too!
    Charles, Sep 13, 2007
  9. MokiDuck

    MokiDuck Guest

    On 13 Eylül, 23:04, "Gino" <> wrote:
    > Basically, you won't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon as they are both
    > great products. Remember you are just comparing bodies. If you are not
    > already committed to certain brand accessories, before committing to a body
    > also look at the other items such as lenses, etc.
    >
    > Me personally, I would go for the 40D, but that's because I shoot on a 20D
    > and absolutely love the results I get (which I guess is probably the same
    > for Nikon users). I also love the UI/simplicity of the controls and dials
    > on the Canon because I can quickly/easily get the body to do what I want it
    > to.
    >
    > I also like the Canon lens range, and for me personally lenses are more
    > important than the body, as long as the body is capable of getting the shots
    > I want.
    >
    > Looking at the specs, there is only one Nikon item that I would like on the
    > 40D and that is ISO 6400. Although, I would be interested to see the noise
    > levels of shots taken at ISO 6400.
    >
    > Remember, some specs are biased, for example comparing a 10MP compact P&S to
    > a 10MP DSLR. 10 MP maybe, but there's a lot more to take into
    > consideration.

    Yes you are right I think. So I'm gonna buy a 40D and a compatible
    good quality lens with it. Thank you all very much... By the way have
    you got any suggestions about the lens?? :)
    MokiDuck, Sep 14, 2007
  10. MokiDuck <> wrote:
    >On 13 Eylül, 23:04, "Gino" <> wrote:

    >> I also like the Canon lens range, and for me personally lenses are more
    >> important than the body, as long as the body is capable of getting the shots
    >> I want.

    >Yes you are right I think. So I'm gonna buy a 40D and a compatible
    >good quality lens with it. Thank you all very much... By the way have
    >you got any suggestions about the lens?? :)

    How can you decide on a camera make until you have a
    very very *very* clear idea what kinds of lenses
    (plural, not singular) you'll want to use?

    Or, at least how can you decide on an expensive
    camera... I would agree that if you are just starting
    out, and really have no idea what kinds of work (and
    therefore which lenses), it might be hard to choose.
    But I wouldn't recommend a $1000+ camera that locks
    you into a line of lenses that you might not want...

    To me, "compatible good quality lens" means you will
    eventually spend more money on glass than you will on
    the body. That is typical, unless you have a very
    narrow interest in only one specific type of
    photography.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Sep 14, 2007
  11. MokiDuck

    King Sardon Guest

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:24:44 -0000, MokiDuck <>
    wrote:

    >On 13 Eylül, 23:04, "Gino" <> wrote:
    >> Basically, you won't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon as they are both
    >> great products. Remember you are just comparing bodies. If you are not
    >> already committed to certain brand accessories, before committing to a body
    >> also look at the other items such as lenses, etc.
    >>
    >> Me personally, I would go for the 40D, but that's because I shoot on a 20D
    >> and absolutely love the results I get (which I guess is probably the same
    >> for Nikon users). I also love the UI/simplicity of the controls and dials
    >> on the Canon because I can quickly/easily get the body to do what I want it
    >> to.
    >>
    >> I also like the Canon lens range, and for me personally lenses are more
    >> important than the body, as long as the body is capable of getting the shots
    >> I want.
    >>
    >> Looking at the specs, there is only one Nikon item that I would like on the
    >> 40D and that is ISO 6400. Although, I would be interested to see the noise
    >> levels of shots taken at ISO 6400.
    >>
    >> Remember, some specs are biased, for example comparing a 10MP compact P&S to
    >> a 10MP DSLR. 10 MP maybe, but there's a lot more to take into
    >> consideration.

    >Yes you are right I think. So I'm gonna buy a 40D and a compatible
    >good quality lens with it. Thank you all very much... By the way have
    >you got any suggestions about the lens?? :)

    You need more than one lens if you are going to have a camera with
    interchangeable lenses.

    For wide angle, I suggest the EF-S 10-22mm, and the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8
    as a general use zoom. Both are superb. For longer than 55mm, there
    are lots of choices, depending on need.

    KS
    King Sardon, Sep 14, 2007
  12. MokiDuck

    Gino Guest

    To be honest, the lenses I am using suit my needs, however they may not be
    for you, depending on what you want to shoot and budget.

    Lens choice is pretty unique to the individual photographer, because lenses
    are just tools to get what you want. Of course, if you are a beginner then
    a kit lens is a starting point.

    Sorry for being vague, but I have no idea what you want to shoot, your skill
    level or budget.

    Gino, Sep 14, 2007
  13. MokiDuck

    PixelPix Guest

    On Sep 14, 8:16 am, "Charles" <> wrote:
    > > Looking at the specs, there is only one Nikon item that I would like on
    > > the 40D and that is ISO 6400. Although, I would be interested to see the
    > > noise levels of shots taken at ISO 6400.

    > Me too!

    Remember not to just look at the noise levels, but look at the amount
    of detail as well. It is easy to produce a noise free image, but a
    lot harder to produce one that retains good detail. This has been (in
    my personal opinion) one of the issues with the Nikons to date, in
    that detail was sacrificed in order to reduce the noise levels.

    The latest official D3 samples from Nikon look like they have turned
    that around somewhat (at least with the full frame D3) with 3200/6400
    being much lower in noise and holding greater details than earlier
    models, but to me the images look a bit "plastic". Having said that,
    never trust an online sample image 100%, as you never know the process
    that has been applied. So always judge a cameras image quality on your
    own test images that have been process by your own hand.

    Cheers

    Rusty
    PixelPix, Sep 14, 2007
  14. MokiDuck

    greybeard

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Canon 40D LCD troubles me

    I guess I will wait for actual camera availability of both the Nikon and Canon, but the apparent superiority of the Nikon's LCD over Canon's LCD gives me cause to pause.

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=24756825

    I am now wondering how important is the LCD anyway and why didn't Canon use a better one?

    GB
    greybeard, Sep 14, 2007
  15. MokiDuck

    Charles Guest

    Yes you are right I think. So I'm gonna buy a 40D and a compatible
    good quality lens with it. Thank you all very much... By the way have
    you got any suggestions about the lens?? :)

    I'll suggest the efs 17-85 as a starter lens.
    Charles, Sep 17, 2007
  16. >>>>> "Charles" == Charles <> writes:

    Charles> Yes you are right I think. So I'm gonna buy a 40D and a compatible
    Charles> good quality lens with it. Thank you all very much... By the way have
    Charles> you got any suggestions about the lens?? :)

    Charles> I'll suggest the efs 17-85 as a starter lens.

    That's a good lens and combo. I shot most of
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/randal-schwartz/sets/72157602026246368/ with
    that.

    Randal L. Schwartz, Sep 18, 2007
  17. MokiDuck

    Charles Guest

    "Randal L. Schwartz" <> wrote in message

    > Charles> Yes you are right I think. So I'm gonna buy a 40D and a
    > compatible
    > Charles> good quality lens with it. Thank you all very much... By the way
    > have
    > Charles> you got any suggestions about the lens?? :)
    >
    > Charles> I'll suggest the efs 17-85 as a starter lens.
    >
    > That's a good lens and combo. I shot most of
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/randal-schwartz/sets/72157602026246368/ with
    > that.

    Some very nice shots! Thanks for sharing.
    Charles, Sep 18, 2007
  18. MokiDuck wrote:
    > Hi all. I'm new to the group. I wanted to share the comparison 40D and
    > D300 with you all. I was looking to buy a D300. But then I read about
    > the comparison and thought D300 is not so necessary for me. What do
    > you think about that? I'm afraid of buying wrong cam for me
    > so...Should I give 500$ more and buy D300 or 40D is enough? By the way
    > you can find the comparison in this site;
    >
    > http://photolectic.com/reviews/dslr/comparison-canon-40d-vs.-nikon-d300.html
    >
    > Regards

    The Canon 40D is more like the Nikon D200 than the D300.
    Not Disclosed, Sep 18, 2007
  19. MokiDuck

    bbarnes

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2007
    Messages:
    1

    I currently shoot with a Canon 350D, my hobbiest buddy uses a Nikon D80.
    Our two Pro friends shoot with...one uses a Canon 30D, the other with a Nikon D200.

    I envy a few design perks (uber vibrant LCD screen), and the D80 images (before he post-processes) appear richer than with my RebelXT. But with some reading and post-processing, I'm improving.

    My #1 lens and the one I recommend to anyone buying their first Canon DSLR...Canon's EF-S 17-55mm 2.8F IS

    Once you've spent $3k or soo on gear, you're pretty commited to your brand.
    Everyone once in a while I wonder...hmm, how much of a $ loss would I take if I sold all my Canon gear and started over with Nikon.

    http://images30.fotki.com/v473/filefjEE/be46c/7/70880/316/220395411.jpg
    Uncle Frank's Garden
    shot last week in Neville Island, PA

    -Ben