Canon 40D Announced

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wayne J. Cosshall, Aug 20, 2007.

  1. Wayne J. Cosshall, Aug 20, 2007

  2. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Clive Guest

    Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > The 40D has been officially announced:
    > http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1070
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Wayne

    Is the proce rumours are correct of $1500, then I think it's a bit of a
    bargain here in the UK (at current exchange rates). But no doubt we will
    get a huge price hike!

    --
    Clive

    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take..... but by the moments that take our breath away.
    Clive, Aug 20, 2007

  3. Wayne J. Cosshall

    frederick Guest

    Clive wrote:
    > Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> The 40D has been officially announced:
    >> http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1070
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Wayne
    >>

    > Is the proce rumours are correct of $1500, then I think it's a bit of a
    > bargain here in the UK (at current exchange rates). But no doubt we will
    > get a huge price hike!

    When it was listed on Amazon (since been pulled) price was US$1299.
    frederick, Aug 20, 2007
  4. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > Clive wrote:
    >> Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> The 40D has been officially announced:
    >>> http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1070
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Wayne
    >>>

    >> Is the proce rumours are correct of $1500, then I think it's a bit
    >> of a bargain here in the UK (at current exchange rates). But no
    >> doubt we will get a huge price hike!
    >>

    > When it was listed on Amazon (since been pulled) price was US$1299.

    Pulled from where?
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-40D-10-...9510333?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1187619163&sr=1-4

    --
    "You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog
    will give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right!
    Bob Hatch, Aug 20, 2007
  5. Wayne J. Cosshall

    frederick Guest

    Bob Hatch wrote:
    > "frederick" <> wrote in message
    >> Clive wrote:

    >>> Is the proce rumours are correct of $1500, then I think it's a bit
    >>> of a bargain here in the UK (at current exchange rates). But no
    >>> doubt we will get a huge price hike!
    >>>

    >> When it was listed on Amazon (since been pulled) price was US$1299.

    > Pulled from where?
    > http://www.amazon.com/Canon-40D-10-...9510333?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1187619163&sr=1-4

    It was temporarily pulled from the Amazon site after they "released" it
    about 12 hours before Canon did.
    frederick, Aug 20, 2007
  6. "Clive" <> wrote in message
    > Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> The 40D has been officially announced:
    >> http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1070
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Wayne
    >>

    > Is the proce rumours are correct of $1500, then I think it's a bit of a
    > bargain here in the UK (at current exchange rates). But no doubt we will
    > get a huge price hike!
    >
    > --
    > Clive

    Yes, Clive...but expect to pay at least £1000 for it here, rip-off britain
    etc...

    the_niner_nation, Aug 20, 2007
  7. In article <46ca109e$0$22967$>,
    says...

    > "Clive" <> wrote in message
    > > Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    > >> Hi All,
    > >>
    > >> The 40D has been officially announced:
    > >> http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1070
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >>
    > >> Wayne
    > >>

    > > Is the proce rumours are correct of $1500, then I think it's a bit of a
    > > bargain here in the UK (at current exchange rates). But no doubt we will
    > > get a huge price hike!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Clive
    > >

    > Yes, Clive...but expect to pay at least £1000 for it here, rip-off britain
    > etc...

    The few sites that seem to be listing a price for it are asking £899 for
    the body.. Jessops want £1199 with the 28-85 IS.

    How much was the 30D at release ?

    T.
    Tony Gartshore, Aug 21, 2007
  8. "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > The 40D has been officially announced:
    > http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1070
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Wayne
    >
    > --
    > Wayne J. Cosshall
    > Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    > Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/
    > Photography and Art Forums http://www.dimagemaker.com/forums/index.php
    > Personal art site http://www.cosshall.com/

    Nice features, but unless the picture quality is bettter than the 400d which
    i already own, i have absloutley no need to upgrade :-(

    the_niner_nation, Aug 21, 2007
  9. Wayne J. Cosshall

    John Sheehy Guest

    "the_niner_nation" <> wrote in

    > Nice features, but unless the picture quality is bettter than the 400d
    > which i already own, i have absloutley no need to upgrade :-(

    The 20D/30D have 1.1 stops less pixel read noise than the 400D, at ISO
    1600, relative to absolute signal. The 1Dmk3 improves on the 1Dmk2 by a
    half stop in this regard, so if the 40D has the same improvement at ISO
    1600, then it will have a real-world read-noise floor about 1.6 stops lower
    than the 400D.

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    John Sheehy, Aug 21, 2007
  10. Wayne J. Cosshall

    l v Guest

    the_niner_nation wrote:

    > Nice features, but unless the picture quality is bettter than the 400d which
    > i already own, i have absloutley no need to upgrade :-(

    I wouldn't either if I had the 400d. I have not upgraded since I bought
    the 300d back in January of 2004. It is now time for me to upgrade.
    Looking forward to many of the 40d's features.

    --

    Len
    l v, Aug 22, 2007
  11. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Paul J Gans Guest

    In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Clive <> wrote:
    >Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> The 40D has been officially announced:
    >> http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1070
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Wayne
    >>

    >Is the proce rumours are correct of $1500, then I think it's a bit of a
    >bargain here in the UK (at current exchange rates). But no doubt we will
    >get a huge price hike!

    I think list is $1300. Given the state of the dollar, come
    to the US, buy one for what, 700 pounds. The difference
    between that and the UK price will probably pay for the
    entire trip.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Aug 22, 2007
  12. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Paul J Gans Guest

    In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems l v <> wrote:
    >the_niner_nation wrote:

    >> Nice features, but unless the picture quality is bettter than the 400d which
    >> i already own, i have absloutley no need to upgrade :-(
    >>

    >I wouldn't either if I had the 400d. I have not upgraded since I bought
    >the 300d back in January of 2004. It is now time for me to upgrade.
    >Looking forward to many of the 40d's features.

    Ditto here. I've been waiting (and buying decent lenses).

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Aug 22, 2007
  13. Wayne J. Cosshall

    King Sardon Guest

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:01:57 -0500, l v <> wrote:

    >the_niner_nation wrote:
    >
    >> Nice features, but unless the picture quality is bettter than the 400d which
    >> i already own, i have absloutley no need to upgrade :-(
    >>

    >I wouldn't either if I had the 400d. I have not upgraded since I bought
    >the 300d back in January of 2004. It is now time for me to upgrade.
    >Looking forward to many of the 40d's features.

    The 40D weighs 740 grams, compared to 485 g for my 350D. That's an
    extra 255 g to haul around. Probably not worth it for walking-around
    type of photography.

    KS
    King Sardon, Aug 22, 2007
  14. Wayne J. Cosshall

    l v Guest

    King Sardon wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:01:57 -0500, l v <> wrote:
    >
    >> the_niner_nation wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nice features, but unless the picture quality is bettter than the 400d which
    >>> i already own, i have absloutley no need to upgrade :-(
    >>>

    >> I wouldn't either if I had the 400d. I have not upgraded since I bought
    >> the 300d back in January of 2004. It is now time for me to upgrade.
    >> Looking forward to many of the 40d's features.

    > The 40D weighs 740 grams, compared to 485 g for my 350D. That's an
    > extra 255 g to haul around. Probably not worth it for walking-around
    > type of photography.
    >
    > KS

    The 300d body weighs in at 560 g so I'm good.

    --

    Len
    l v, Aug 23, 2007
  15. I must say I like a fairly light camera. I have a 350D and a 400D and
    find they are a good weight and size for carrying them around. Most of
    the weight is in my lenses so a bit of help from the body is a plus. I
    also switched from a tilt pan manfrotto head on my tripod to a ball head
    and saved almost a kilogram. Amazing how much lighter that big tripod feels.

    At Arles last year a fellow photographer with a 5D tried my 400D and
    decided they needed to buy one as a carry around camera.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    Wayne J. Cosshall

    Wayne J. Cosshall, Aug 23, 2007
  16. Wayne J. Cosshall

    John Turco Guest

    the_niner_nation wrote:

    > "Clive" <> wrote in message
    > > Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    > >> Hi All,
    > >>
    > >> The 40D has been officially announced:
    > >> http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1070
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >>
    > >> Wayne
    > >>

    > > Is the proce rumours are correct of $1500, then I think it's a bit of a
    > > bargain here in the UK (at current exchange rates). But no doubt we will
    > > get a huge price hike!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Clive
    > >

    > Yes, Clive...but expect to pay at least £1000 for it here, rip-off britain
    > etc...

    Hello, Niner Nation:

    So, you're a San Francisco 49ers fan, in far-off Britain?

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Aug 23, 2007