    making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
    and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

    , May 14, 2006

  2. writes:

    > Hello,
    > Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
    > making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
    > and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

    The sound is from the shutter, and there is nothing you can do about
    it. In fact, the 350D is one of the quieter DSLRs.

    --
    Måns Rullgård

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, May 14, 2006

  3. Prometheus Guest

    The sounds you get are entirely mechanical and inherent in any camera
    with a mirror and a proper shutter*:
    The mirror must be raised rapidly and decelerated
    even more rapidly.
    The first curtain of the shutter must open.
    The second curtain of the shutter must close.
    The mirror must return.
    The shutter must be rewound.
    These all make noise, some SLR cameras are quitter than others, my film
    SLR is much louder that my 350D.

    I would like a digital range finder with an APS-C sensor and a leaf
    shutter for circumstances which dictate near silent operation.

    * I a do not know how the new Olympus performs in all modes.

    In article <>,
    writes
    >Hello,
    >Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
    >making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
    >and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

    --
    Ian G8ILZ

    Prometheus, May 14, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
    > making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
    > and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

    You might be able to lock the mirror up. That would reduce the sound,
    but the shutter would still make noise and you would be be able to see
    through the viewfinder.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, May 14, 2006
  5. Bill Guest

    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
    >making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
    >and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

    That's one of the annoying things about the 350D/XT. The artificial
    film-winder sound can not be disabled.

    When I bought my XT I didn't notice it right away and just presumed it
    was part of the mirror flip action. It wasn't as noisy as my film
    camera, so it wasn't until I used by friends D70s that I realized the
    noise was an added sound effect.

    Bill, May 14, 2006
  6. wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
    > making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
    > and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

    Turn it off immediately.

    --
    \lsmft\

    John McWilliams, May 14, 2006
  7. Prometheus Guest

    In article <Oupj$>, Prometheus
    <Prometheus@127.0.0.1> writes
    Sorry,
    Sorry,
    Sorry,
    Sorry,
    Sorry,
    Sorry,
    Sorry,
    Apologies for top posting; lunch was g-o-o-d.

    --
    Ian G8ILZ

    Prometheus, May 14, 2006
  8. Bill Guest

    Prometheus wrote:

    >The sounds you get are entirely mechanical and inherent in any camera
    >with a mirror and a proper shutter*:

    Actually I don't believe it is.

    The Canon XT/350D produces a film-advance type of sound that doesn't
    appear to be related to the mirror slapping or shutters - the sound is
    heard immediately after those actions.

    You can listen to the XT and 20D here:
    http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/digital_rebel_xt/

    The 20D sounds like my friends D70s and D200 but perhaps a bit louder.
    While the XT definitely has a completely different design or it's an
    artificial sound added to make it seem more familiar to a film camera.

    >These all make noise, some SLR cameras are quitter than others, my film
    >SLR is much louder that my 350D.

    My film cameras had a quiet mirror slap and shutter, but loud film
    advance motor. Overall the XT/350D is better than my film bodies.

    But my friends D70s is noticeably more quiet than any of my Canon
    cameras. The difference is quite dramatic and makes the Nikon camera
    better suited to shooting in quiet areas. At a race track it won't
    matter, but in a quiet hall it makes a big difference.

    His new Nikon D200 is a bit louder than the D70s, but that may be due to
    FPS speeds are higher on the D200 so the mirror slap is faster and
    louder. Still they both sound better than the Canon XT.

    Bill, May 14, 2006
  9. Prometheus Guest

    In article <>, Bill
    <> writes
    >Prometheus wrote:
    >
    >>The sounds you get are entirely mechanical and inherent in any camera
    >>with a mirror and a proper shutter*:

    >Actually I don't believe it is.
    >
    >The Canon XT/350D produces a film-advance type of sound that doesn't
    >appear to be related to the mirror slapping or shutters - the sound is
    >heard immediately after those actions.
    >
    >You can listen to the XT and 20D here:
    >http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/digital_rebel_xt/

    The "film advance" sound occurs just after the shutter closes and most
    certainly does not emanate from the sounder used for the beep, it sound
    deep in the centre of the camera, hence my contention that it is the
    shutter being rewound. The 20D has a comparable sound just after taking
    a picture, perhaps the mechanism is smother and faster in action
    (greater shutter life and fps).
    --
    Ian G8ILZ

    Prometheus, May 14, 2006
  10. Pat Guest

    Listen to those noises again. It sounds EXACTLY like a tennis game on
    T.V. I kept expecting someone to shout "OUT".

    Pat, May 14, 2006
  11. Bob Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > Listen to those noises again. It sounds EXACTLY like a tennis game on
    > T.V. I kept expecting someone to shout "OUT".

    OUT? You CANNOT be serious!

    Bob

    Bob, May 14, 2006
  12. <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
    > making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
    > and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

    Canon's ZoomBrowser EX software can set sounds effects on cameras.
    Any possibility that this has been done with your 350d?

    I've definitely not experimented with my 350d in case I set up an effect I
    do not like
    (such as an animal call when I fire the shutter) and cannot undo it.

    Regards, Ian.

    Fred Anonymous, May 14, 2006
  13. Pat Guest

    Yes. That judge has been calling them that way all day.

    Pat, May 15, 2006
  14. Bob wrote:
    > "Pat" <> wrote in message
    >> Listen to those noises again. It sounds EXACTLY like a tennis game on
    >> T.V. I kept expecting someone to shout "OUT".
    >>

    > OUT? You CANNOT be serious!

    How come the Judge (or Umpire, or Ref, whatever he was) hasn't made a tv
    commercial out of that incident? Johnny Mac certainly has dined out on
    it often enough.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, May 15, 2006
  15. Paul J Gans Guest

    Joseph Meehan <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
    >> making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
    >> and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

    > You might be able to lock the mirror up. That would reduce the sound,
    >but the shutter would still make noise and you would be be able to see
    >through the viewfinder.

    In a digital SLR? How does the light get from the lens
    to the viewfinder without a mirror?

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, May 15, 2006
  16. Pat Guest

    I think he forgot the word "not", as in "you would NOT be able to see
    ....."

    Pat, May 15, 2006
  17. Pat Guest

    Good point. It could be one of those:

    Referee training school: $1,000
    Referee jersey: $50.
    Referee wistle: $10

    Getting his by John Macenroe's raquette, priceless....

    Still, did you listen to that audio clip? Is it just me???

    Pat, May 15, 2006
  18. Pat wrote:
    > Good point. It could be one of those:
    >
    > Referee training school: $1,000
    > Referee jersey: $50.
    > Referee wistle: $10
    >
    > Getting his by John Macenroe's raquette, priceless....

    Hah!

    > Still, did you listen to that audio clip? Is it just me???

    Which one do you mean? [And please quote enough of the previous post to
    put some context about it.]

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, May 15, 2006
  19. Pat wrote:
    > I think he forgot the word "not", as in "you would NOT be able to see
    > ...."

    IAE, did it occur to anyone that this is a kook or troll thread? Of
    course, I'd welcome the OP back for clarification.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, May 15, 2006
  20. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
    > making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
    > and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

    It's a shitty little motor that winds up the shutter springs for the
    next shot. You can't do anything about it unless you want to perform
    some camera surgery to tighten up the gears and bearings.

    You can always downgrade to a 300D. It uses a silent solenoid to do the
    task. Unfortunately solenoids are weak and heavy so the shutter is less
    capable.

    Kevin McMurtrie, May 15, 2006