Canon 350D clearly beats Nikon D50 at dpreview.com

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by GTO, Jul 24, 2005.

  1. GTO

    GTO Guest

    You most certainly have seen dpreview's comparison between the D50 and the
    350D already. If not, here it is:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page23.asp

    Consider the lack of MLU and the use of SD cards, and Canon 350D takes the
    lead by a clear distance in the low-cost sector of the DSLR business. In the
    meantime, the Canon 20D hammers the new D70s into the ground. - Well, I sure
    hope Nikon will soon release a DSLR in this price bracket that makes Nikon
    users smile as much as we did in early 2004 when Nikon started shipping the
    D70.

    I am surprised to see such a clear difference between 6MP to 8MP under
    "almost normal" conditions. - It is said that the D50 is better built than
    the 350D. Well, I am not so sure. If the 350D is more fragile than my D70, I
    am afraid that it should fall apart by itself. I think a camera is built
    right when I look at the D2H or the good old F3. Even the D100 is in much
    better shape. - So, did Nikon's marketing fall asleep or are they only
    focusing on high-end gears (e.g. D2X) and the smaller digicams?

    Gregor
    GTO, Jul 24, 2005

  2. GTO

    Brian Baird Guest

    In article <xCGEe.6375$_%>,
    says...
    > You most certainly have seen dpreview's comparison between the D50 and the
    > 350D already. If not, here it is:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page23.asp
    >
    > Consider the lack of MLU and the use of SD cards, and Canon 350D takes the
    > lead by a clear distance in the low-cost sector of the DSLR business. In the
    > meantime, the Canon 20D hammers the new D70s into the ground. - Well, I sure
    > hope Nikon will soon release a DSLR in this price bracket that makes Nikon
    > users smile as much as we did in early 2004 when Nikon started shipping the
    > D70.
    >
    > I am surprised to see such a clear difference between 6MP to 8MP under
    > "almost normal" conditions. - It is said that the D50 is better built than
    > the 350D. Well, I am not so sure. If the 350D is more fragile than my D70, I
    > am afraid that it should fall apart by itself. I think a camera is built
    > right when I look at the D2H or the good old F3. Even the D100 is in much
    > better shape. - So, did Nikon's marketing fall asleep or are they only
    > focusing on high-end gears (e.g. D2X) and the smaller digicams?
    >
    > Gregor

    The D50 is aimed at a very similar market, but not directly at the 350D.

    They're both fine cameras that take very nice pictures. The 350D is the
    technology champ at the moment, but megapixels ain't everything.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
    Brian Baird, Jul 24, 2005

  3. GTO

    GTO Guest

    "Brian Baird" <> wrote in message
    > In article <xCGEe.6375$_%>,
    > says...
    >> You most certainly have seen dpreview's comparison between the D50 and
    >> the
    >> 350D already. If not, here it is:
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page23.asp
    >>
    >> Consider the lack of MLU and the use of SD cards, and Canon 350D takes
    >> the
    >> lead by a clear distance in the low-cost sector of the DSLR business. In
    >> the
    >> meantime, the Canon 20D hammers the new D70s into the ground. - Well, I
    >> sure
    >> hope Nikon will soon release a DSLR in this price bracket that makes
    >> Nikon
    >> users smile as much as we did in early 2004 when Nikon started shipping
    >> the
    >> D70.
    >>
    >> I am surprised to see such a clear difference between 6MP to 8MP under
    >> "almost normal" conditions. - It is said that the D50 is better built
    >> than
    >> the 350D. Well, I am not so sure. If the 350D is more fragile than my
    >> D70, I
    >> am afraid that it should fall apart by itself. I think a camera is built
    >> right when I look at the D2H or the good old F3. Even the D100 is in much
    >> better shape. - So, did Nikon's marketing fall asleep or are they only
    >> focusing on high-end gears (e.g. D2X) and the smaller digicams?
    >>
    >> Gregor

    > The D50 is aimed at a very similar market, but not directly at the 350D.
    >
    > They're both fine cameras that take very nice pictures. The 350D is the
    > technology champ at the moment, but megapixels ain't everything.
    > --
    > http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird

    Yes. MPs aren't everything. But the difference is rather pronounced when
    looking at this test. Can you see it?

    Just curious. What market does the D50 serve? Who would buy such a thing?
    Let us assume we really need to buy a Nikon camera. Why not just buy a D70?
    Yes, less noise in the green channel, which is most likely due to the
    "better" fudging with noise compression algorithms. And yes, SD cards. We
    always wanted SD cards in our next DSLR. Right? - I could not even use this
    thing as a backup for a D70. I just have too much digital film in form of
    Lexar 80x WA cards ;-)
    GTO, Jul 24, 2005
  4. GTO

    frederick Guest

    GTO wrote:

    > Yes. MPs aren't everything. But the difference is rather pronounced when
    > looking at this test. Can you see it?

    You don't get it do you?
    From 350d review:
    "Shooting RAW and converting using Adobe Camera RAW (still in Beta form
    here) enables you to squeeze that little bit more detail out of the
    image, the appearance is a little crisper (even better per-pixel
    sharpness) with no noticeable sharpening artifacts. That said the
    difference between the camera JPEG and converted RAW is nowhere near as
    dramatic as we have seen in other cameras which indicates the EOS 350D's
    DIGIC II processor really is performing well"

    The tests were shot jpeg. Despite the good in-camera processing of
    jpegs, even 350d users interested in getting the best image quality out
    of their camera will still shoot RAW.

    If you want to see the difference between a 20d and D70, this is
    probably a better guide (and the 20d and 350d are going to be close
    enough to the same):
    http://galleries.manuthie.de/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=19&g2_page=1
    The result is about what you would expect, a very slight improvement in
    detail from 8mp in some shots can be seen, sometimes not.
    frederick, Jul 24, 2005
  5. GTO

    GTO Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > GTO wrote:
    >

    >> Yes. MPs aren't everything. But the difference is rather pronounced when
    >> looking at this test. Can you see it?
    >>

    > The tests were shot jpeg. Despite the good in-camera processing of jpegs,
    > even 350d users interested in getting the best image quality out of their
    > camera will still shoot RAW.

    You are expecting the entry-level user who might be buying this thing to
    shoot exclusively in RAW? - You must be dreaming! Have you ever compared
    JPEG with NEF lately? If not, take your Nikon and give it a try. E.g. NEF on
    a D70 does not boost resolution that much when compared to JPEG.
    GTO, Jul 24, 2005
  6. GTO wrote:
    > You most certainly have seen dpreview's comparison between the D50
    > and the 350D already. If not, here it is:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page23.asp

    I think there may be an error with the Nikon shot - either camera shake,
    or incorrect focus or something. If not, there is indeed a surprising
    difference.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 24, 2005
  7. GTO

    frederick Guest

    GTO wrote:
    > "frederick" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>GTO wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yes. MPs aren't everything. But the difference is rather pronounced when
    >>>looking at this test. Can you see it?
    >>>

    >>The tests were shot jpeg. Despite the good in-camera processing of jpegs,
    >>even 350d users interested in getting the best image quality out of their
    >>camera will still shoot RAW.
    >>

    > You are expecting the entry-level user who might be buying this thing to
    > shoot exclusively in RAW? - You must be dreaming! Have you ever compared
    > JPEG with NEF lately? If not, take your Nikon and give it a try. E.g. NEF on
    > a D70 does not boost resolution that much when compared to JPEG.

    I have, I do, and it does makes a big difference.
    frederick, Jul 24, 2005
  8. GTO

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <8HHEe.20806$>, GTO
    says...

    > You are expecting the entry-level user who might be buying this thing to
    > shoot exclusively in RAW?

    If they are entry-level, they will buy a P&S and not a DLSR.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Jul 24, 2005
  9. GTO

    Roy Guest

    "GTO" <> wrote in message
    > You most certainly have seen dpreview's comparison between the D50 and the
    > 350D already. If not, here it is:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page23.asp

    Hi there.

    What exactly is the point of this type of posting??

    Is the original poster a major shareholder in, or sales manager for, Nikon
    or Canon.

    If he must make comparisons then surely it should be between cameras in the
    same category. D70s > 350D or D50 > 350XT

    We are back into the "mines is bigger than yours" schoolboy scenario.

    Lets stick to photography.

    Roy G
    Roy, Jul 24, 2005
  10. GTO

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    "Roy" <> wrote in message
    > "GTO" <> wrote in message
    >> You most certainly have seen dpreview's comparison between the D50 and
    >> the
    >> 350D already. If not, here it is:
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page23.asp
    >>

    > Hi there.
    >
    > What exactly is the point of this type of posting??

    An equipment posting in an equipment forum?

    Kinon O'cann, Jul 24, 2005
  11. GTO

    John Lodge Guest

    Actually if you zoom the 4x6 color swatches (with the full image) to full
    screen,
    you will see an odd edge effect with the Nikon (not completely absent on
    the
    Canon).
    - there is a much more pronounced light and dark band just inside the dark
    edge of the color swatch.
    It is particularly noticeable on the top and bottom row.

    This seems to be more of a lens/photodiode issue than focussing. If the
    Nikon was less in focus there would be more of a continuous blur.
    It could also be a problem with default sharpening.

    John Lodge, Jul 24, 2005
  12. GTO

    [BnH] Guest

    I think 99% 350D user I know [ that's around 5 of them ] shot purely in JPEG
    .. If not in fine , some in medium quality.
    Sure there is pro like you that uses 350D with RAW .. but some ex consumer
    digital users,
    just could not be bothered to convert 350D CRW to JPEG , as their resources
    is just too slow to do that.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jul 24, 2005
  13. GTO

    [BnH] Guest

    You would be surprised what my so called 'entry level' friends uses.
    becasuse some of them should be called 'avid amateur' :D

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jul 24, 2005
  14. GTO

    Charles Guest

    In article <>, Alfred
    Molon <> wrote:

    > If they are entry-level, they will buy a P&S and not a DLSR.

    There will be entry level DSLR users. Also cost concious buyers. They
    will go to the store and buy the cheapest because it is "good enough".
    And most likely it is good enough for many. Many who buy even the 20D
    or other more advanced DSLR's don't need or know how to use the
    advanced features. Many use them as glorified point and shoots.

    --
    Charles
    Charles, Jul 24, 2005
  15. GTO wrote:
    > "frederick" <> wrote in message
    >> GTO wrote:
    >>

    >>> Yes. MPs aren't everything. But the difference is rather pronounced
    >>> when looking at this test. Can you see it?
    >>>

    >> The tests were shot jpeg. Despite the good in-camera processing of
    >> jpegs, even 350d users interested in getting the best image quality
    >> out of their camera will still shoot RAW.
    >>

    > You are expecting the entry-level user who might be buying this
    > thing to shoot exclusively in RAW? - You must be dreaming! Have you
    > ever compared JPEG with NEF lately? If not, take your Nikon and give
    > it a try. E.g. NEF on a D70 does not boost resolution that much when
    > compared to JPEG.

    I would if they knew enough to see the difference. If they can't see
    the difference ???

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Jul 24, 2005
  16. GTO

    Brian Baird Guest

    In article <N8IEe.76118$>, david-
    -this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...
    > > You most certainly have seen dpreview's comparison between the D50
    > > and the 350D already. If not, here it is:
    > >
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page23.asp

    > I think there may be an error with the Nikon shot - either camera shake,
    > or incorrect focus or something. If not, there is indeed a surprising
    > difference.

    IT's not too far out of line with the other test shots. In fact, in
    comparison to other 6 megapixel dSLRs the D50 comes off as a little
    soft.

    Against the 8 megapixel 350D it is going to pale. Any 6 megapixel
    camera will.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
    Brian Baird, Jul 24, 2005
  17. GTO

    Brian Baird Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <8HHEe.20806$>, GTO
    > says...
    >
    > > You are expecting the entry-level user who might be buying this thing to
    > > shoot exclusively in RAW?

    > If they are entry-level, they will buy a P&S and not a DLSR.

    Not always. Some people do not like the response/functions of a point
    and shoot. I would say as someone who owns both, I like them both for
    different reasons, but I much prefer the dSLR for image quality,
    responsiveness and flexibility.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
    Brian Baird, Jul 24, 2005
  18. GTO

    Larry Guest

    In article <YaMEe.15558$>, royphoty@iona-
    guesthouse.co.uk says...
    > "GTO" <> wrote in message
    > > You most certainly have seen dpreview's comparison between the D50 and the
    > > 350D already. If not, here it is:
    > >
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page23.asp
    > >

    > Hi there.
    >
    > What exactly is the point of this type of posting??
    >
    > Is the original poster a major shareholder in, or sales manager for, Nikon
    > or Canon.
    >
    > If he must make comparisons then surely it should be between cameras in the
    > same category. D70s > 350D or D50 > 350XT
    >
    > We are back into the "mines is bigger than yours" schoolboy scenario.
    >
    > Lets stick to photography.
    >
    > Roy G

    I agree Roy.

    I dont see any point whatever in comparing 8mp cameras to 6mp cameras at all.

    If you are shopping for picture QUALITY you should be comparing apples to
    apples, not apples to larger fruit.

    The fact that an 8mp image is bigger than a 6mp image is incontrovertable,,
    the better image is subjective (within limits).

    Nikon people will buy Nikon cameras, and justify it in a million ways (not
    always logical).

    Canon people will buy a Canon camera and justify it in the same million ways
    (and in the same way, not always logical)

    An Olympus person will buy the E-300, and bash every other camera brand in
    the world for no reason, using no logic, and piss everybody (including Olypus
    owners) off.

    So it goes.

    I dont post here much (because Im taking pictures or sorting pictures, or
    cleaning equipment, or getting ready for my next shoot, almost every spare
    moment) but I do read this group daily and I usually dont jump into the
    threads unless I can at least try to answer someones question.. But some of
    these threads go on for freaking EVER!

    I too get a little tired of people waving their photographic penises around.

    The mere thought of one camera "beating" another is an anathma to me.

    <rant mode OFF!>
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Jul 24, 2005
  19. Brian Baird wrote:
    > In article <N8IEe.76118$>, david-
    > -this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...
    >>> You most certainly have seen dpreview's comparison between the D50
    >>> and the 350D already. If not, here it is:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page23.asp

    >> I think there may be an error with the Nikon shot - either camera
    >> shake, or incorrect focus or something. If not, there is indeed a
    >> surprising difference.

    > IT's not too far out of line with the other test shots. In fact, in
    > comparison to other 6 megapixel dSLRs the D50 comes off as a little
    > soft.
    >
    > Against the 8 megapixel 350D it is going to pale. Any 6 megapixel
    > camera will.

    There is a lot more difference in those two shots than can be accounted
    for simply by a 15% increase in linear resolution. The horizontal and
    vertical resolution looks asymmetrical, which made me think of camera
    shake.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 24, 2005
  20. GTO

    Brian Baird Guest

    In article <mkPEe.76330$>, david-
    -this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...
    > > Against the 8 megapixel 350D it is going to pale. Any 6 megapixel
    > > camera will.

    > There is a lot more difference in those two shots than can be accounted
    > for simply by a 15% increase in linear resolution. The horizontal and
    > vertical resolution looks asymmetrical, which made me think of camera
    > shake.

    Again, go look at the 6 megapixel versus 6 megapixel shots.

    Phil shoots on a tripod and is meticulous. I don't think he'd allow
    camera shake in the shots.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
    Brian Baird, Jul 24, 2005