    battery for appx. 15-20mins to "reset" the camera, but that didn't
    work- i'm stuck. any productive input will be greatly appreciated!

    , May 26, 2007

  2. J. Severyn Guest

    Just buy a card reader for $5 and forget the camera's USB port. The card
    reader will probably transfer the memory card contents much faster anyway.
    Here is an example: http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4700369#detailed

    J. Severyn

    J. Severyn, May 26, 2007

  3. Mark² Guest

    wrote:
    > have had my 30d for just under a year now and this is a first. i
    > attempted to upload images to a computer that has cannon utilities
    > installed on it. i have uploaded to this particular computer in the
    > past, however this time i plugged usb cable into a usb port that was
    > shot. here's where i think i dropped the ball, i don't think i powered
    > the camera down before removing the usb cable. prior to removing the
    > usb cable from the camera i get an error 99 message on the camera. as
    > i understand this a is a catch-all error message, normally associated
    > with the contacts and the lens. after trying a working usb port, the
    > only action canon utilities would allow me to do was file monitoring.
    > xp was also unable to recognize the camera. have tried removing the
    > battery for appx. 15-20mins to "reset" the camera, but that didn't
    > work- i'm stuck. any productive input will be greatly appreciated!

    I frankly don't know if ANY of my DSLRs upload to my PC properly (though
    they likely do), because in the 7 years I've been shooting with them, I've
    never had any desire to try. It's a battery drain...a pain in the
    neck...and pointless...when a fast card reader will do the job with zero
    fuss...better speed...and no battery drain.

    Buy a card reader and you'll never look back.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², May 26, 2007
  4. Alfmeister Guest

    While that may be the easiest solution in this case there is an
    advantage to downloading directly from the camera and that is less
    wear on the camera. Pulling the card in and out can cause a pin to
    break. I've seen it happen more than once.
    To the OP;
    1. Uninstall the Canon Utility.
    2. Check for the latest Utility for your camera on the Canon website.
    3. Reinstall program.
    Hopefully you just have a corrupt file problem and doing a
    deinstall/reinstall usually fixes that.
    If not, give Canon a call.
    Good luck.

    Alfmeister, May 26, 2007
  5. Charles Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > have had my 30d for just under a year now and this is a first. i
    > attempted to upload images to a computer that has cannon utilities
    > installed on it. i have uploaded to this particular computer in the
    > past, however this time i plugged usb cable into a usb port that was
    > shot. here's where i think i dropped the ball, i don't think i powered
    > the camera down before removing the usb cable. prior to removing the
    > usb cable from the camera i get an error 99 message on the camera. as
    > i understand this a is a catch-all error message, normally associated
    > with the contacts and the lens. after trying a working usb port, the
    > only action canon utilities would allow me to do was file monitoring.
    > xp was also unable to recognize the camera. have tried removing the
    > battery for appx. 15-20mins to "reset" the camera, but that didn't
    > work- i'm stuck. any productive input will be greatly appreciated!

    As others have stated ... CARD READER. Ignore the post about pins breaking.

    Charles, May 26, 2007
  6. Mark B. Guest

    "Alfmeister" <> wrote in message
    > While that may be the easiest solution in this case there is an
    > advantage to downloading directly from the camera and that is less
    > wear on the camera. Pulling the card in and out can cause a pin to
    > break. I've seen it happen more than once.

    If you're careless. I've been using cameras with CF cards and card readers
    since 2000, never had a problem whatsoever. Using a reader, you're not
    relying on the camera battery. Besides, if you have multiple cards to you
    may as well use a reader.

    Mark

    Mark B., May 27, 2007
  7. Mark² Guest

    Alfmeister wrote:
    > While that may be the easiest solution in this case there is an
    > advantage to downloading directly from the camera and that is less
    > wear on the camera. Pulling the card in and out can cause a pin to
    > break. I've seen it happen more than once.

    If you've REALLY seen that happen more than once (which I frankly
    doubt...sorry), you must hang around with extraordinarily wreckless people.
    It is VERY dificult to actually bend pins, because most CF card slots don't
    even allow the card to enter if it isn't straight/properly alligned.

    I've never uploaded a SINGLE image from the camera, and have
    removed/replaced CF cards literally thousands of times...without a single
    bad card...or a single problem of ANY kind whatsoever.

    Mark², May 27, 2007
  8. Jack Mac Guest

    On Sat, 26 May 2007 22:46:12 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number
    here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >Alfmeister wrote:
    >> While that may be the easiest solution in this case there is an
    >> advantage to downloading directly from the camera and that is less
    >> wear on the camera. Pulling the card in and out can cause a pin to
    >> break. I've seen it happen more than once.

    >If you've REALLY seen that happen more than once (which I frankly
    >doubt...sorry), you must hang around with extraordinarily wreckless people.
    >It is VERY dificult to actually bend pins, because most CF card slots don't
    >even allow the card to enter if it isn't straight/properly alligned.
    >
    >I've never uploaded a SINGLE image from the camera, and have
    >removed/replaced CF cards literally thousands of times...without a single
    >bad card...or a single problem of ANY kind whatsoever.

    I agree!
    Cameras are designed to have the cards inserted and remove.
    You have a meaningless phobia.

    Jack Mac, May 28, 2007
  9. Art Guest

    I agree with the card reader recommendation, but there is a good
    reason to look into the problem:

    It may indicate a problem that has other ramifications as well,
    including a partially corrupted card.

    I would try the following:

    plug in the camera, close all the canon software, and use your windows
    explorer (not internet explorer, but the explorer you use to look at
    local files).

    Try to browse to the camera. Can you open and copy files from the
    camera using that?

    If everything is there and works great, then reinstall the canon
    software.

    If not, next steps will be dependent upon the error. Possible areas:

    USB port (I have interesting problems on my system(s) depending upon
    which OTHER devices are plugged in when I put any complex USB device
    on the system).

    Card format - the storage card can get corrupted and require
    reformatting. REFORMAT IN THE CAMERA, NOT THE PC!

    Low/old camera battery (even freshly charged - do you have an AC
    adaptor for the camera? New fully charged battery?)

    bad CABLE (dust on / in either end can cause interesting problems.
    Soda does too, but that's a whole DIFFERENT story).

    Good luck!

    Art, May 28, 2007