    possible?

    Doug McDonald

    , Jan 22, 2008

  2. Ali Guest

    Why do you need to use flash? What are you shooting?

    Ali, Jan 22, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Jan 23, 5:52 am, wrote:
    > I'm still mystified by the built-in flash in the Canon 30D.
    >
    > How do I take panoramas with flash? I can set the exposure to manual,
    > setting bother aperture and shutter speed. Or I can use Av, setting the
    > aperture and then telling the camera to set the time to 1/250 sec
    > any time the flash is used in that mode (in the special menus section.)
    > Of course I also use manual focus.
    >
    > But I can't figure out how to tell it to used a fixed amount of flash.
    > The FM is too sparse and obtuse for RTFM to do the job. Is it even
    > possible?
    >
    > Doug McDonald

    Don't know about the 30D, but many (most?) built-in's do not have
    manual settings, other than a limited range of ev adjustment. Get a
    real flashgun!

    , Jan 22, 2008
  4. Guest

    Ali wrote:
    > Why do you need to use flash? What are you shooting?

    Badly lit interiors where I'm not able to play with multiple
    tungsten lights, which would be the ideal. OF course, I could use
    an external fixed power flash, but that's more stuff to carry about.

    In any case, I asked a question. I wanted and ANSWER, not a question
    in return.

    Doug McDonald

    Top posted on purpose.

    > <> wrote in message
    >> I'm still mystified by the built-in flash in the Canon 30D.
    >>
    >> How do I take panoramas with flash? I can set the exposure to manual,
    >> setting bother aperture and shutter speed. Or I can use Av, setting the
    >> aperture and then telling the camera to set the time to 1/250 sec
    >> any time the flash is used in that mode (in the special menus section.)
    >> Of course I also use manual focus.
    >>
    >> But I can't figure out how to tell it to used a fixed amount of flash.
    >> The FM is too sparse and obtuse for RTFM to do the job. Is it even
    >> possible?
    >>
    >> Doug McDonald

    , Jan 22, 2008
  5. Ali Guest

    Re: TROLL

    Your post lacked detail. Therefore, my question was perfectly reasonable.

    Your original post and response just shows how ignorant you really are.

    Ali, Jan 22, 2008
  6. Sam Prichard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Ali wrote:
    >> Why do you need to use flash? What are you shooting?
    >>

    > Badly lit interiors where I'm not able to play with multiple
    > tungsten lights, which would be the ideal. OF course, I could use
    > an external fixed power flash, but that's more stuff to carry about.
    >
    > In any case, I asked a question. I wanted and ANSWER, not a question
    > in return.
    >
    > Doug McDonald
    >
    > Top posted on purpose.
    >

    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm still mystified by the built-in flash in the Canon 30D.
    >>>
    >>> How do I take panoramas with flash? I can set the exposure to manual,
    >>> setting bother aperture and shutter speed. Or I can use Av, setting the
    >>> aperture and then telling the camera to set the time to 1/250 sec
    >>> any time the flash is used in that mode (in the special menus section.)
    >>> Of course I also use manual focus.
    >>>
    >>> But I can't figure out how to tell it to used a fixed amount of flash.
    >>> The FM is too sparse and obtuse for RTFM to do the job. Is it even
    >>> possible?
    >>>
    >>> Doug McDonald

    In manual mode, set your shutter speed to 1/250 and aperture to F22, so that
    you have a decent shutter speed and good depth of field. Then set the flash
    compensation (FEC) to -2, stops so that you don't get specular highlights.

    Because of the high shutter speed, you can hand hold with no problems.
    Recompose and take the other shots to create a panorama.

    Sam Prichard, Jan 22, 2008
  7. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Ali wrote:
    >> Why do you need to use flash? What are you shooting?
    >>

    > Badly lit interiors where I'm not able to play with multiple
    > tungsten lights, which would be the ideal. OF course, I could use
    > an external fixed power flash, but that's more stuff to carry about.
    >
    > In any case, I asked a question. I wanted and ANSWER, not a question
    > in return.
    >
    > Doug McDonald

    If you are doing panoramas, I presume you are using a sturdy tripod.

    In which case, a Hotshoe Type Flashgun could hardly be described as too much
    more stuff to carry.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 22, 2008
  8. Sam Prichard <> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Ali wrote:
    >>> Why do you need to use flash? What are you shooting?
    >>>

    >> Badly lit interiors where I'm not able to play with multiple
    >> tungsten lights, which would be the ideal. OF course, I could use
    >> an external fixed power flash, but that's more stuff to carry about.
    >>
    >> In any case, I asked a question. I wanted and ANSWER, not a question
    >> in return.
    >>
    >> Doug McDonald
    >>
    >> Top posted on purpose.
    >>
    >>> <> wrote in message

    > In manual mode, set your shutter speed to 1/250 and aperture to F22, so that
    > you have a decent shutter speed and good depth of field. Then set the flash
    > compensation (FEC) to -2, stops so that you don't get specular highlights.

    But he'll still get varying amounts of flash in the overlapping bits,
    which is what he's trying to avoid.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, Jan 23, 2008
  9. Chris Savage Guest

    On 2008-01-23, Chris Malcolm <> wrote:
    > Sam Prichard <> wrote:
    >
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Badly lit interiors where I'm not able to play with multiple
    >>> tungsten lights, which would be the ideal. OF course, I could use
    >>> an external fixed power flash, but that's more stuff to carry about.

    >> In manual mode, set your shutter speed to 1/250 and aperture to F22, so that
    >> you have a decent shutter speed and good depth of field. Then set the flash
    >> compensation (FEC) to -2, stops so that you don't get specular highlights.

    > But he'll still get varying amounts of flash in the overlapping bits,
    > which is what he's trying to avoid.

    Make the overlaps bigger.

    --
    Chris Savage Kiss me. Or would you rather live in a
    Gateshead, UK land where the soap won't lather?

    Chris Savage, Jan 23, 2008
  10. "Chris Savage" <> wrote:
    > On 2008-01-23, Chris Malcolm <> wrote:
    >>
    >> But he'll still get varying amounts of flash in the overlapping bits,
    >> which is what he's trying to avoid.
    >>

    > Make the overlaps bigger.

    He needs to set the flash to manual mode so it delivers the same amount of
    light each time. But that may not be possible if it's a built-in flash.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 23, 2008
  11. Chris Savage Guest

    On 2008-01-23, David J. Littleboy <> wrote:

    > "Chris Savage" <> wrote:
    >> On 2008-01-23, Chris Malcolm <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> But he'll still get varying amounts of flash in the overlapping bits,
    >>> which is what he's trying to avoid.
    >>>

    >> Make the overlaps bigger.

    > He needs to set the flash to manual mode so it delivers the same amount of
    > light each time. But that may not be possible if it's a built-in flash.

    Well, I would have said what one _needs_ to do is stabilise the lighting
    for the whole scene which would preclude the use of any on-camera flash.

    But since the questioner has said he has to use the on-camera flash then
    whatever he does with it is going to give uneven lighting on the
    resulting montage however he sets it.

    Try it. Put your flash on manual at any setting you want and see the
    difference between pointing in random directions around the room you're
    in ... the light will reflect in all sorts of different ways off all
    sorts of different surfaces.

    Chris Savage, Jan 23, 2008
  12. Guest

    Re: TROLL

    Ali wrote:
    > Your post lacked detail. Therefore, my question was perfectly reasonable.
    >
    > Your original post and response just shows how ignorant you really are.
    >

    > <> wrote in message

    That's not obtuse of sparse. "A fixed amount of flash" is perfectly
    simple.

    If you don't know the answer, you should not have even replied.

    Doug McDonald

    , Jan 23, 2008
  13. Guest

    Sam Prichard wrote:

    > In manual mode, set your shutter speed to 1/250 and aperture to F22, so
    > that you have a decent shutter speed and good depth of field. Then set
    > the flash compensation (FEC) to -2, stops so that you don't get specular
    > highlights.
    >
    > Because of the high shutter speed, you can hand hold with no problems.
    > Recompose and take the other shots to create a panorama.

    Well, you can hand hold panoramas if and only if the nearest
    object is far enough away that motion of the camera between shots does
    not change the perspective. This is almost never the case with
    interiors.

    But as to flash ... except for the f/22 part, which is a diffraction problem
    (I would use f/10) ... that's what I tried, more or less (but not as much
    as two stops flash compensation). It seems that the flash is still in
    auto mode, so the amount of light changes between shots. This means
    they don't fit together without extreme intensity fixups, which are
    not easy.

    Doug McDonald

    , Jan 23, 2008
  14. Guest

    Chris Savage wrote:

    > But since the questioner has said he has to use the on-camera flash then
    > whatever he does with it is going to give uneven lighting on the
    > resulting montage however he sets it.
    >
    > Try it. Put your flash on manual at any setting you want and see the
    > difference between pointing in random directions around the room you're
    > in ... the light will reflect in all sorts of different ways off all
    > sorts of different surfaces.

    I had not thought of that! You are of course right.

    For perfect results you need a fixed flash and a big fat diffuser.

    Oh well, at least that's the ultimate answer.

    Or the big heavy tripod and ambient light. That worked well
    in Carlsbad caverns (1/2 second exposures).

    Doug McDonald

    , Jan 23, 2008
  15. Ali Guest

    Re: TROLL

    Oh, I know the answer, in fact a few, not just one. But either you are a
    troll, or you're too dumb to know when someone is looking to help you.

    Ali, Jan 23, 2008
  16. lid writes:
    > I'm still mystified by the built-in flash in the Canon 30D.
    >
    > But I can't figure out how to tell it to used a fixed amount of
    > flash.

    You can't. Nikon let you use use manual for the built-in (very handy
    for avoiding pre-flash when trigging studio strobes too), but Canon
    expect you to fit a 430EX or a 580EX if you want manual.

    > The FM is too sparse and obtuse for RTFM to do the job. Is it even
    > possible?

    No.
    Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS 14n, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

    Gisle Hannemyr, Jan 24, 2008