    know)?

    Any comments appreciated.

    Peter Russell
    Peter Russell, Dec 8, 2004

  2. "Peter Russell" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I'm brand new to buying digital but I'm treating myself for

    Christmas....

    > I was looking at Canon Powershot S1 IS and the Fuji Finepix s7000 as

    being
    > the sort of thing that would suit me but I've just been sidetracked a

    bit
    > by looking at the Canon 300d - mainly because I have an EOS film camera
    > with a couple of lenses which i understand will work (with limitations)
    > with the 300D.
    >
    > However, I can't see anything in the published spec for the 300D which
    > tells me that it is any better than the S1 (in fact the reverse appears

    > be true with things like anti-shake on the S1). Am I missing something
    > blindingly obvious here in my naivety in the digital world? Will I get
    > 'better' results from the 300d than the S1? If so, where would I see
    > that? Is it worth paying twice as much for it (totally subjective, I
    > know)?

    The 300D has a much larger sensor ( 22.7 x 15.1 mm vs. 5.27 x 3.96 mm )
    which means that higher ISO have far less noise than with the S1. Also
    the 300D is an SLR which means you can change lenses - on the downsize
    it's larger and heavier (depending on the lens of course).

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s1is.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos300d.asp

    Kind regards

    robert
    Robert Klemme, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Peter Russell

    Todd H. Guest

    (Peter Russell) writes:
    > I'm brand new to buying digital but I'm treating myself for Christmas....
    >
    > I was looking at Canon Powershot S1 IS and the Fuji Finepix s7000 as being
    > the sort of thing that would suit me but I've just been sidetracked a bit
    > by looking at the Canon 300d - mainly because I have an EOS film camera
    > with a couple of lenses which i understand will work (with limitations)
    > with the 300D.
    >
    > However, I can't see anything in the published spec for the 300D which
    > tells me that it is any better than the S1 (in fact the reverse appears to
    > be true with things like anti-shake on the S1). Am I missing something
    > blindingly obvious here in my naivety in the digital world? Will I get
    > 'better' results from the 300d than the S1? If so, where would I see
    > that? Is it worth paying twice as much for it (totally subjective, I
    > know)?
    >
    > Any comments appreciated.

    The primary difference is that one camera is an SLR with
    interchangeable EOS lenses and the other is not. They're two very
    different animals, and which one makes the most sense for you depends
    on your needs.

    As an EOS system film user who shoots a lot of sports, and Powershot
    G2 owner, the nearly non-existent shutter lag and allows the use of
    Canon (and later model 3rd party) EOS lenses is the reason I jumped
    right to the digital rebel. For me, I couldn't stand the
    focus-unpredictability (i.e. no optical through the lens viewfinder)
    and the shutter lag that seemed so inherent in all non-SLR form factor
    cameras I'd tried. The S1 also lacks a hotshoe, so if you're doing
    any flash photography that you want to look decent, the S1 leaves you
    high and dry there with only its little on camera flash.

    However, that said, that S1 is a lot less expensive, and comes with a
    nice f/2.8 10x zoom lens with optical IS on it, whereas the kit lens
    with the rebel is a much slower 3.5-5.6. So if your work is confined
    to available light photography, the extra stop of aperture and the
    handholding benefits of optical image stabilization may conspire to
    make a compelling value for ya.

    But the Digital Rebel is a far far more versatile camera.

    The better comparison would be bewteen the G5 and the Digital Rebel.
    At least the G6 has a hotshoe, and an f/2.0 lens. But at $619 it's a
    rather insane thing to buy if interchangeable lenses and an optical
    through the lens viewfinder are something you as an SLR veteran value.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Dec 8, 2004
  4. Thanks for your comments.
    Maybe it'll take me longer to decide what to do than I was hoping:)-)
    I shall do a bit of searching to see if I can glean any info on the
    expected life of the 300d.
    Thanks

    Peter
    Peter Russell, Dec 9, 2004