Canon 300D Rebel pictures at low light levels (like in my basement with just the built in flash)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve m..., Dec 7, 2003.

  1. Steve m...

    Steve m... Guest

    I bought one yesterday on the 10% off sale at Best Buy. (they said this is
    the last one that they would get in till after the first of the year so I
    was lucky they held it for me) So far it's a nice camera for a person who's
    never used a SLR. I previously had used a Olympus D450Z and a Epson Photopc.
    I got it based on all the positive comments on the newsgroup here. It is
    everything that has been said about it. Anyway, last night I was taking
    some pictures of our dog here on the couch and I noticed that they are dark
    in full auto mode with flash. Here's an example:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/stevem5215/photos/IMG_0002.JPG
    And then just like someone on here said you can compensate for that by
    setting the exposure level down a little. I set mine to about halfway down
    and got this picture:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/stevem5215/photos/IMG_0008.JPG
    It's a lot better and printed out better on my HP 7550 too. But, it's
    still a little dark. Now I'm guessing that more tinkering would allow it to
    be better but I'd like to know that if I really want to take indoor pictures
    am I always going to mess with these settings ? It would be nice if the
    full auto mode would allow me to take these pictures without adjustments.
    Would a external flash help ? I'm wondering if the supplied flash is just a
    'weak' one or what. I did take a outside picture as well and will ask a few
    questions about it in another message. If anyone has any ideas please post
    them here as like everyone else I have a munged email address.

    Thanks in advance,
    Steve m..... (Pittsburgh, Pa)

    Steve m..., Dec 7, 2003

  2. Steve m...

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Steve m... wrote:

    > And then just like someone on here said you can compensate for that by
    > setting the exposure level down a little. I set mine to about halfway down
    > and got this picture:
    > http://mysite.verizon.net/stevem5215/photos/IMG_0008.JPG

    You're setting your exposure compensation in the minus range (- 1 1/3 in this
    picture).. That makes your shots darker.. It really shows in the histogram..
    all the data is far to the left (black).

    Set the exposure compensation either to zero, or into the plus range.. (Slide
    the pointer to center or to the right of that) That should make a big
    difference. Note that the camera will always remember your last exposure
    compensation setting.. So whenever you shoot, you should always check it. If
    you leave it in the negative range, all your shots will be darker.. Even non
    flash shots.

    > Would a external flash help ?

    An external flash will make a HUGE difference.. It will be much brighter and
    because you can tilt the head and bounce the flash off walls and ceilings, you
    will never have red-eye.. (Or green eye like your cute little put has :)

    Your built in flash is only good for about 10 feet at ISO100.. A good external
    can do 50 feet or more.

    Best flash for the dRebel is the Canon 550EX.. You can adjust the flash power
    on the back. This makes up for the lack of flash exposure compensation in the
    camera software.

    But try setting your exposure compensaton to zero or into the plus range before
    you shell out big bucks for an external flash :)

    Jim Townsend, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Steve m...

    Don Coon Guest

    It's easy to correct in PS Elements; even easier in PS-CS.

    Use the Levels control in Elements or PS along with curves. Those eyes will
    take some work too : )

    The internal flash is pretty wimpy; and external flash will make a world of
    difference.

    That said, you're actually abetter off under exposing slightly to avoid
    blowing out the highlights. Use SW to compensate for the under exposure and
    to bring out the shadows.

    I have a 10D with a 420EX flash and often have to adjust flash exposure
    compensation (FEC). Unfortunately, Canon did not include FEC on the DRebel :
    (

    Don Coon, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Steve m...

    Guest Guest

    The people who sell BreezeBrowser have an exposure compensation hack on
    there website so you can set a compensation permanently, tho I wouldn't
    recommend using it.

    I believe the problem here is the TTL centre-weighted metering. The camera
    meters the subject at 0EV, but almost invariably, the subject is the nearest
    thing to the camera, thus everything else is darker being farther from the
    light source. Being darker is actually much better than being overexposed if
    you use RAW mode, as you can boost the exposure a couple of stops with
    little negative impact on final quality.

    :

    Guest, Dec 9, 2003