    No, I have not personaly used the 300D. I own a Minolta 7i, and I would
    probably step up to the 300D instead of the Minolta A1.

    Tim
    Browntimdc, Sep 9, 2003

  2. > There are some griping about this lens being slow.

    I came to digital from the medium format world...where an f/4 lens
    was considered fast. Both lenses I got for my 10D are 3.5's. Doesn't
    bother me.
    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 9, 2003

  3. Browntimdc

    Browntimdc Guest

    Randall Ainsworth <> wrote in

    >> There are some griping about this lens being slow.

    > I came to digital from the medium format world...where an f/4 lens
    > was considered fast. Both lenses I got for my 10D are 3.5's. Doesn't
    > bother me.

    You'll have to pry my Mamiya TLR 180mm f4.5 Super from my cold, dead hands
    ;o)
    Browntimdc, Sep 9, 2003
  4. Browntimdc

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Tue, 09 Sep 2003 19:33:16 GMT, in this august forum,
    Browntimdc <browntR*E*M*O*V*> said:

    >There are some griping about this lens being slow.

    Only from a single troll who seems to be determined to make that claim
    about a million times in a half dozen newsgroups. Don't worry about it.

    Lionel, Sep 9, 2003
  5. > You'll have to pry my Mamiya TLR 180mm f4.5 Super from my cold, dead hands

    Never been a fan of TLRs. Too much like taking pictures with a
    shoebox. But you're right about lens speeds. Even with my 35mm I've
    never owned anything faster than a f/1.8.
    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 9, 2003
  6. Tim, eat my clit (unless you are a black guy....I am not a coal burner, LOL)

    Monica Krowley, Sep 10, 2003
  7. Jeez...a bitch with a 'tude.
    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 10, 2003
  8. Browntimdc

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > Jeez...a bitch with a 'tude.

    I assure you Randall,the person behind "Monica" is not female.

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton, Sep 11, 2003
  9. Browntimdc

    Charlie D Guest

    In article <>,
    Lisa Horton <> wrote:

    > I assure you Randall,the person behind "Monica" is not female.

    Neither was the person in front of Monica. ;)

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA
    Charlie D, Sep 11, 2003
  10. > I assure you Randall,the person behind "Monica" is not female.

    I'd agree. Looks like junior high got out early today.
    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 11, 2003
  11. Browntimdc

    Darren Bly Guest

    And what's wrong with black guys?

    Darren in Bakersfield

    Darren Bly, Sep 11, 2003
  12. Browntimdc

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on 10 Sep 2003 18:01:30 -0700, in this august forum,
    (Darren Bly) said:

    >And what's wrong with black guys?

    Please don't encourage the troll, Darren.

    Lionel, Sep 11, 2003
  13. Browntimdc

    Browntimdc Guest

    (Darren Bly) wrote in

    > And what's wrong with black guys?
    >
    > Darren in Bakersfield
    >
    > (Monica Krowley) wrote in message
    >> Tim, eat my clit (unless you are a black guy....I am not a coal
    >> burner, LOL)

    Thankfully, I had already plonked "her". Maybe "she" is one of those trolls
    who crosspost here and at alt.flame.ni**ers?

    Tim
    Browntimdc, Sep 11, 2003
  14. Browntimdc

    Guest

    Browntimdc <browntR*E*M*O*V*> wrote in message news:<Xns93F19E3BFD400tbflash@207.115.63.158>...
    > There are some griping about this lens being slow.

    The $70 50mm f/1.8 is more than 3 stops brighter. So I'd use that most
    of the time rather than the f/5.6.

    > No, I have not personaly used the 300D. I own a Minolta 7i, and I would
    > probably step up to the 300D instead of the Minolta A1.

    A1 is close to 7i.

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/
    , Sep 12, 2003
  15. Browntimdc

    Browntimdc Guest

    wrote in

    > Browntimdc <browntR*E*M*O*V*> wrote in message
    >> There are some griping about this lens being slow.

    > The $70 50mm f/1.8 is more than 3 stops brighter. So I'd use that most
    > of the time rather than the f/5.6.

    The 50/1.8 is not a zoom. There are some situations where zoom is almost
    essential (theater and dance). That said, I own Canon FD 50/1.8 and 50/1.4,
    they have their uses.

    >> No, I have not personaly used the 300D. I own a Minolta 7i, and I
    >> would probably step up to the 300D instead of the Minolta A1.

    > A1 is close to 7i.

    And the A1 and 300D are close in price.

    Tim
    Browntimdc, Sep 12, 2003
  16. Browntimdc

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:45:04 GMT, in this august forum,
    Browntimdc <browntR*E*M*O*V*> said:

    > wrote in
    >
    >> Browntimdc <browntR*E*M*O*V*> wrote in message
    >>> There are some griping about this lens being slow.

    >> The $70 50mm f/1.8 is more than 3 stops brighter. So I'd use that most
    >> of the time rather than the f/5.6.

    >The 50/1.8 is not a zoom. There are some situations where zoom is almost
    >essential (theater and dance). That said, I own Canon FD 50/1.8 and 50/1.4,
    >they have their uses.

    I do some stage photography, & do 90% of it with 50mm & 28mm f1.8
    primes. I find the speed of f1.8 way more useful than than zoom. The way
    I look at it is that it's easy to crop a too wide image, but you can't
    pull a useable image out of a photo that's underexposed 2-3 stops.

    Lionel, Sep 12, 2003
  17. Browntimdc

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Lionel <> wrote:

    >I do some stage photography, & do 90% of it with 50mm & 28mm f1.8
    >primes. I find the speed of f1.8 way more useful than than zoom. The way
    >I look at it is that it's easy to crop a too wide image, but you can't
    >pull a useable image out of a photo that's underexposed 2-3 stops.

    Well, not at ISO 1600. At ISO 100 you can, with a small amount of
    posterization in the shadows.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Sep 13, 2003
  18. Browntimdc

    wtf Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > In message <>,
    > Lionel <> wrote:
    >
    > >I do some stage photography, & do 90% of it with 50mm & 28mm f1.8
    > >primes. I find the speed of f1.8 way more useful than than zoom. The way
    > >I look at it is that it's easy to crop a too wide image, but you can't
    > >pull a useable image out of a photo that's underexposed 2-3 stops.

    > Well, not at ISO 1600. At ISO 100 you can, with a small amount of
    > posterization in the shadows.

    Your photo may be properly exposed, but will be out of focus. A prime
    reason for purchasing a Digital SLR is manual focus. Focusing an F4
    lens indoors is difficult. The majority of Rebel buyers will never
    purchase a better lens to replace the dark kit lens.
    wtf, Sep 16, 2003
  19. Browntimdc

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:42:51 GMT, in this august forum,
    said:

    >In message <>,
    >Lionel <> wrote:
    >
    >>I do some stage photography, & do 90% of it with 50mm & 28mm f1.8
    >>primes. I find the speed of f1.8 way more useful than than zoom. The way
    >>I look at it is that it's easy to crop a too wide image, but you can't
    >>pull a useable image out of a photo that's underexposed 2-3 stops.

    >Well, not at ISO 1600. At ISO 100 you can, with a small amount of
    >posterization in the shadows.

    At ISO 100, I might as well leave the lens cap on, because my photos
    won't be a lot brighter than that. ;) I generally shoot at ISO 800 or
    1600.
    (Other 10D users might find it useful to know that I've found that
    well-exposed shots at ISO 3200 are somewhat better than 1600 that has to
    be pushed a stop.)

    Lionel, Sep 17, 2003
  20. Browntimdc

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:10:14 -0500, in this august
    forum, wtf <> said:

    >In article <>,
    >wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>,
    >> Lionel <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I do some stage photography, & do 90% of it with 50mm & 28mm f1.8
    >> >primes. I find the speed of f1.8 way more useful than than zoom. The way
    >> >I look at it is that it's easy to crop a too wide image, but you can't
    >> >pull a useable image out of a photo that's underexposed 2-3 stops.

    >> Well, not at ISO 1600. At ISO 100 you can, with a small amount of
    >> posterization in the shadows.

    >Your photo may be properly exposed, but will be out of focus. A prime
    >reason for purchasing a Digital SLR is manual focus. Focusing an F4
    >lens indoors is difficult. The majority of Rebel buyers will never
    >purchase a better lens to replace the dark kit lens.

    Unless the lighting is unusually bright (which is not impossible for a
    play, but very unlikely for a band), I wouldn't even attempt to shoot
    with an f4 or darker lens. I use f1.8 primes, or sometimes an f2.8 zoom.

    Lionel, Sep 17, 2003