    version would? I have a 500 mm mirror lens I would like to use for
    extreme distance photography. I'm considering the 300D as I already have
    a Canon EOS10D and four or five lenses.
    gja1, Oct 5, 2003

  2. gja1

    Scott Coutts Guest

    gja1 wrote:
    > Will the digital rebel work with a T mount mirror lens as the film
    > version would?

    Yep, but it will effectively be 800mm instead of 500mm.

    > I have a 500 mm mirror lens I would like to use for
    > extreme distance photography. I'm considering the 300D
    > as I already have
    > a Canon EOS10D and four or five lenses.

    Do you mean a EOS 10 or EOS 10D? Because if you have a 10D, then why
    do you want 300D? Backup? It will work exactly the same as your 10D,
    only with less functionality (mostly).
    Scott Coutts, Oct 5, 2003

  3. gja1

    Jim Townsend Guest

    gja1 wrote:

    > Will the digital rebel work with a T mount mirror lens as the film
    > version would? I have a 500 mm mirror lens I would like to use for
    > extreme distance photography. I'm considering the 300D as I already have
    > a Canon EOS10D and four or five lenses.

    It won't fit directly, but there is a t-mount to EOS adapter..

    http://t-mount-for-eos-canon.best-buy-camera.com/
    Jim Townsend, Oct 5, 2003
  4. gja1

    Ray Fischer Guest

    gja1 <> wrote:
    >Will the digital rebel work with a T mount mirror lens as the film
    >version would? I have a 500 mm mirror lens I would like to use for
    >extreme distance photography.

    Yes. I've already used it with a 2500mm telescope.

    > I'm considering the 300D as I already have
    >a Canon EOS10D and four or five lenses.

    Heh? Why would you want both?

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Oct 5, 2003
  5. gja1

    Mark M Guest

    "gja1" <> wrote in message
    > Will the digital rebel work with a T mount mirror lens as the film
    > version would? I have a 500 mm mirror lens I would like to use for
    > extreme distance photography. I'm considering the 300D as I already have
    > a Canon EOS10D and four or five lenses.

    Yep.
    It will produce similarly crappy mirror lens results, except that it will
    crop out the outer portion, leaving you with what appears similar to an
    800mm lens. This also means that camera movement will create greater
    problems (when enlarging to similar sizes).
    Mark M, Oct 5, 2003
  6. gja1

    ajacobs2 Guest

    "Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message
    > gja1 <> wrote:
    > >Will the digital rebel work with a T mount mirror lens as the film
    > >version would? I have a 500 mm mirror lens I would like to use for
    > >extreme distance photography.

    > Yes. I've already used it with a 2500mm telescope.
    >
    > > I'm considering the 300D as I already have
    > >a Canon EOS10D and four or five lenses.

    > Heh? Why would you want both?

    It's called a backup.....
    ajacobs2, Oct 5, 2003
  7. gja1

    Simon Lee Guest

    Mark M choreographed a chorus line of high-kicking electrons to spell
    out:

    > "gja1" <> wrote in message
    >> Will the digital rebel work with a T mount mirror lens as the film
    >> version would? I have a 500 mm mirror lens I would like to use for
    >> extreme distance photography. I'm considering the 300D as I already

    have
    >> a Canon EOS10D and four or five lenses.

    > Yep.
    > It will produce similarly crappy mirror lens results, except that it

    will
    > crop out the outer portion, leaving you with what appears similar to an
    > 800mm lens. This also means that camera movement will create greater
    > problems (when enlarging to similar sizes).

    A friend lent me an old 500mm mirror which I tried out on my 10D
    initially for some moon shots... they looked decent and I explained off
    the slight fuzziness to the August atmosphere.
    When I tried photographing the squirrels in my backyard with it,
    the pictures had a "haze" to them, which was softness to some extent but
    primarily a remarkable lack of contrast. Of course, your mileage may
    vary and I was comparing the shots to a 70-200 2.8.

    --
    __ A L L D O N E! B Y E B Y E!
    (__ * _ _ _ _
    Simon Lee, Oct 5, 2003
  8. (Mark M) writes:

    > It will produce similarly crappy mirror lens results, except that it will
    > crop out the outer portion, leaving you with what appears similar to an
    > 800mm lens. This also means that camera movement will create greater
    > problems (when enlarging to similar sizes).

    I don't own a Canon, but I thought they had shake reduction. Am I
    imagining things again?

    --
    http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
    Larry Caldwell, Oct 6, 2003
  9. gja1

    Mark M Guest

    "Larry Caldwell" <> wrote in message
    > (Mark M) writes:
    >
    > > It will produce similarly crappy mirror lens results, except that it

    will
    > > crop out the outer portion, leaving you with what appears similar to an
    > > 800mm lens. This also means that camera movement will create greater
    > > problems (when enlarging to similar sizes).

    > I don't own a Canon, but I thought they had shake reduction. Am I
    > imagining things again?

    Canon stabilization is lens-based...and Canon doesn't make mirror lenses.
    It is not a camera body feature.
    BTW... I only mention the movement sensitivity because mirror lenses have a
    fixed aperture--usually around f8 or worse, meaning they are virtually
    unusable for moving subjects or hand-holding.
    Mark M, Oct 6, 2003
  10. (Mark M) writes:

    > Canon stabilization is lens-based...and Canon doesn't make mirror lenses.
    > It is not a camera body feature.

    Interesting. I read a magazine article on image stabilization, and it
    said they jiggled the CCD to compensate for camera shake. Is the sensor
    in the lens, or does Canon use a different system?

    The CCD servo system should work with any lens.

    --
    http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
    Larry Caldwell, Oct 7, 2003
  11. "Larry Caldwell" <> wrote:
    > (Mark M) writes:
    >
    > > Canon stabilization is lens-based...and Canon doesn't make mirror

    lenses.
    > > It is not a camera body feature.

    > Interesting. I read a magazine article on image stabilization, and it
    > said they jiggled the CCD to compensate for camera shake. Is the sensor
    > in the lens, or does Canon use a different system?
    >
    > The CCD servo system should work with any lens.

    But the only camera that uses that system (the Minolta A1) doesn't have
    interchangeable lenses<g>.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Oct 7, 2003
  12. Larry Caldwell <> writes:

    >Interesting. I read a magazine article on image stabilization, and it
    >said they jiggled the CCD to compensate for camera shake. Is the sensor
    >in the lens, or does Canon use a different system?

    Canon puts all the electronics and mechanics in the lens.

    >The CCD servo system should work with any lens.

    But it would require tuning for each different focal length of lens.

    There's a mechanical advantage problem, too. With a long lens, a very
    small angular movement of the camera produces a large motion at the
    image plane, which would require a large fast movement of the CCD to
    correct. But the shift could be corrected by only a small shift or tilt
    of an optical element in the lens.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Oct 7, 2003
  13. gja1

    > (Mark M) writes:
    >
    > > Canon stabilization is lens-based...and Canon doesn't make mirror

    lenses.
    > > It is not a camera body feature.

    > Interesting. I read a magazine article on image stabilization, and it
    > said they jiggled the CCD to compensate for camera shake. Is the sensor
    > in the lens, or does Canon use a different system?
    >
    > The CCD servo system should work with any lens.

    I think you may have been reading an artical about their video cameras (?).
    ....One thing I can tell you with certainty (I use four different IS
    lenses).... Their still photography image stabilizer is housed in the lens
    **only**, and will work on any EOS system camera body.
    Mark M, Oct 8, 2003