Canon 300D $100 Rebate now available (along with lens and flash rebates)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Siddhartha Jain, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Linda_N wrote:
    > As stated several weeks ago, Canon Canada and Canon USA have, as

    expected,
    > dropped the price of the Rebel 300D by $100 via a rebate. Several

    lens units
    > are flash units are also available at reduced pricing via rebates.
    >
    > http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/CanonRebelRebate.shtml
    >
    > Currently available to both Canada and the USA. I'm not sure about

    the
    > European market rebate plan (if any) you'll have to check the Canon

    European
    > site.

    The US$100 rebates started on 15th October. I am waiting for the black
    dRebel to appear in the shops.

    Linda_N, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Siddhartha Jain

    G Eisenmann Guest

    > Currently available to both Canada and the USA. I'm not sure about the
    > European market rebate plan (if any) you'll have to check the Canon

    European
    > site.
    >
    > Linda

    Never heard about American-style rebate plans here in Europe - would be nice
    though!

    Georg
    G Eisenmann, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Siddhartha Jain

    Linda_N Guest

    "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    > Linda_N wrote:
    >> As stated several weeks ago, Canon Canada and Canon USA have, as

    > expected,
    >> dropped the price of the Rebel 300D by $100 via a rebate. Several

    > lens units
    >> are flash units are also available at reduced pricing via rebates.
    >>
    >> http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/CanonRebelRebate.shtml
    >>
    >> Currently available to both Canada and the USA. I'm not sure about

    > the
    >> European market rebate plan (if any) you'll have to check the Canon

    > European
    >> site.

    > The US$100 rebates started on 15th October. I am waiting for the black
    > dRebel to appear in the shops.

    Rebates for both countries came out the same day. I've been trying to post
    this messages (along with several others) since then but the posts have not
    been showing up. I'd not seen any other postings about it so thought I'd
    still better let folks know.

    Linda
    Linda_N, Oct 21, 2004
  5. "G Eisenmann" <> wrote in message
    > > Currently available to both Canada and the USA. I'm not sure about the
    > > European market rebate plan (if any) you'll have to check the Canon

    > European
    > > site.
    > >
    > > Linda

    > Never heard about American-style rebate plans here in Europe - would be

    nice
    > though!

    Maybe this time? You can get the rebate for the grey-market models. See
    BHPHOTO.com
    You might know who, Oct 21, 2004
  6. "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message

    > The US$100 rebates started on 15th October. I am waiting for the black
    > dRebel to appear in the shops.

    Has Canon announced that it is going to?
    Michael A. Covington, Oct 21, 2004
  7. "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    > Linda_N wrote:
    > > As stated several weeks ago, Canon Canada and Canon USA have, as

    > expected,
    > > dropped the price of the Rebel 300D by $100 via a rebate. Several

    > lens units
    > > are flash units are also available at reduced pricing via rebates.
    > >
    > > http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/CanonRebelRebate.shtml
    > >
    > > Currently available to both Canada and the USA. I'm not sure about

    > the
    > > European market rebate plan (if any) you'll have to check the Canon

    > European
    > > site.

    > The US$100 rebates started on 15th October. I am waiting for the black
    > dRebel to appear in the shops.

    I have several black Digital Rebels, and have sold a few. There doesn't seem
    to be a problem getting them in Canada...

    ---

    Darrell Larose, Oct 22, 2004
  8. Siddhartha Jain

    Linda_N Guest

    "Michael A. Covington" <> wrote in message

    > "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> The US$100 rebates started on 15th October. I am waiting for the black
    >> dRebel to appear in the shops.

    > Has Canon announced that it is going to?

    Black dRebel 300Ds have been around since the beginning. I saw someone state
    that at one time black was the only model available in Japan. Black was
    special order here for a while, but later I saw sites stating both models
    were available. Why do folks want silver more than black?

    Linda
    Linda_N, Oct 22, 2004
  9. Siddhartha Jain

    GT40 Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:22:36 -0300, "Linda_N"
    <> wrote:

    >"Michael A. Covington" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> The US$100 rebates started on 15th October. I am waiting for the black
    >>> dRebel to appear in the shops.

    >> Has Canon announced that it is going to?
    >>

    >Black dRebel 300Ds have been around since the beginning. I saw someone state
    >that at one time black was the only model available in Japan. Black was
    >special order here for a while, but later I saw sites stating both models
    >were available. Why do folks want silver more than black?

    I was told by one of my local camera store that people think it looks
    like metal. I'd rather have an all black camera.
    GT40, Oct 22, 2004
  10. Siddhartha Jain

    Linda_N Guest

    "G Eisenmann" <> wrote in message
    >> Currently available to both Canada and the USA. I'm not sure about the
    >> European market rebate plan (if any) you'll have to check the Canon

    > European
    >> site.
    >>
    >> Linda

    > Never heard about American-style rebate plans here in Europe - would be
    > nice
    > though!
    >
    > Georg

    I think you guys are luckier in that when there is a discount it is taken
    off the shelf price (so you pay less right away). I dislike the rebate
    programs because sometimes the manufacturer doesn't make good on them,
    sometimes the manufacturer claims they never received your request, or they
    say it came in late etc... I was once told that 60% of North Americans never
    even bother claiming the rebate (even the $100 ones) and that is why the
    companies do it that way.

    Linda
    Linda_N, Oct 22, 2004
  11. Siddhartha Jain

    Linda_N Guest

    "GT40" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:22:36 -0300, "Linda_N"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>Black dRebel 300Ds have been around since the beginning. I saw someone
    >>state
    >>that at one time black was the only model available in Japan. Black was
    >>special order here for a while, but later I saw sites stating both models
    >>were available. Why do folks want silver more than black?

    > I was told by one of my local camera store that people think it looks
    > like metal. I'd rather have an all black camera.

    That could be the reason, silver does look more solid/sturdy. Black is
    probably better for less light reflection/interferance.

    Linda
    Linda_N, Oct 22, 2004
  12. Linda_N wrote:
    > "Michael A. Covington" <> wrote in message

    > > "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> The US$100 rebates started on 15th October. I am waiting for the

    black
    > >> dRebel to appear in the shops.

    > > Has Canon announced that it is going to?
    > >

    > Black dRebel 300Ds have been around since the beginning. I saw

    someone state
    > that at one time black was the only model available in Japan. Black

    was
    > special order here for a while, but later I saw sites stating both

    models
    > were available. Why do folks want silver more than black?

    As far as I can tell only Ritzcamera has been taking pre-orders for the
    black dRebel in the US for a week or so now. I haven't seen the black
    dRebel in any of the US online stores otherwise.
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 22, 2004
  13. Linda_N wrote:
    >Why do folks want silver more than black?

    The silver rebel reflects light where as the black one absorbs light
    and heat thus making the CMOS sensor hotter. This makes the pics
    noisier. But as Mercedes' experience shows that anything black sells
    well in Japan, hence the black dRebel for Japan and silver for US.
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 22, 2004
  14. Siddhartha Jain

    RTJ Guest

    > Linda_N wrote:
    > >Why do folks want silver more than black?

    > The silver rebel reflects light where as the black one absorbs light
    > and heat thus making the CMOS sensor hotter. This makes the pics
    > noisier.

    Yes!!! Like 10d and 20d ;-)
    ;-) a very good excuse for people who have silver rebel ;-)

    In other words using black d-rebel won't frighten away animals and birds
    any more ??

    --
    Regards
    Romek
    RTJ, Oct 22, 2004
  15. Siddhartha Jain

    Bill Bannon Guest

    Oh for crying out loud. Canon made it silver to set it apart as a pro-sumer
    rather than pro camera. I simply don't care what color mine is. Where I
    live people are amazed to see a digital SLR in the hands of someone other
    than the reporter from the local paper. It works wonderfully and I wouldn't
    care if it was green.

    Bill Bannon

    Bill Bannon, Oct 22, 2004
  16. Siddhartha Jain

    > Linda_N wrote:
    >> Black dRebel 300Ds have been around since the beginning. I saw

    > someone state
    >> that at one time black was the only model available in Japan. Black

    > was
    >> special order here for a while, but later I saw sites stating both

    > models
    >> were available. Why do folks want silver more than black?

    > As far as I can tell only Ritzcamera has been taking pre-orders for the
    > black dRebel in the US for a week or so now. I haven't seen the black
    > dRebel in any of the US online stores otherwise.

    Ritzcamera is still quoting $1000+ for the 300D plus kit lens which is the
    highest I've seen in months.

    I've seen black offered at several USA online stores in the past few months.
    Most show the silver model, but mention in the description 'also available
    in black' while others you have to 'add to cart' and then enable black on
    the purchase page. I'd venture to guess that all stores can special order
    black if they don't have it in stock now that it has found its way into the
    North American market anyway.

    Linda
    Linda_N, Oct 22, 2004
  17. Siddhartha Jain

    RTJ Guest

    "Bill Bannon" <> wrote in message
    > Oh for crying out loud. Canon made it silver to set it apart as a pro-sumer
    > rather than pro camera. I simply don't care what color mine is. Where I
    > live people are amazed to see a digital SLR in the hands of someone other
    > than the reporter from the local paper. It works wonderfully and I wouldn't
    > care if it was green.

    Neither would I !
    That's why I'm shocked if somebody's creating
    ideas "why my silver camera is better than black" ;-)

    RTJ, Oct 22, 2004
  18. Siddhartha Jain

    > Linda_N wrote:
    >>Why do folks want silver more than black?

    > The silver rebel reflects light where as the black one absorbs light
    > and heat thus making the CMOS sensor hotter. This makes the pics
    > noisier. But as Mercedes' experience shows that anything black sells
    > well in Japan, hence the black dRebel for Japan and silver for US.

    Interesting. So from a wear and tear perspective it makes more sense to get
    silver, but from a lighting perspective it makes more sense to get black.

    Japan with its beautifully, vivid, silk worm kimonos (sp?) of days gone by
    sure has succumbed to black in modern day for both genders (used to be
    mostly men only in black). blah.

    Linda
    Linda_N, Oct 22, 2004
  19. "Bill Bannon" <> wrote in message
    > Oh for crying out loud. Canon made it silver to set it apart as a
    > pro-sumer rather than pro camera. I simply don't care what color mine is.
    > Where I live people are amazed to see a digital SLR in the hands of
    > someone other than the reporter from the local paper. It works
    > wonderfully and I wouldn't care if it was green.

    Green... now there's an idea!

    Wasn't there once a brown leather version of the Pentax K1000?

    I seem to recall seeing someone advertise brown leather kits for a
    technician to replace the black parts on an Olympus OM-1. It may have been
    the same materials as on the Pentax.
    Michael A. Covington, Oct 22, 2004
  20. Linda_N wrote:
    > I've seen black offered at several USA online stores in the past few

    months.
    > Most show the silver model, but mention in the description 'also

    available
    > in black' while others you have to 'add to cart' and then enable

    black on
    > the purchase page. I'd venture to guess that all stores can special

    order
    > black if they don't have it in stock now that it has found its way

    into the
    > North American market anyway.

    Hmmm ... can you point me to some of such online stores? I just checked
    with B&H and the customer rep said he had no clue when they will ship
    the black version.

    Cheers,

    Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 22, 2004