    Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail and D&H in N
    Proud NRA member
    addy:
    Jack, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Jack

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <>, Jack
    <> writes
    >Finally getting to spend some quality time with my new acquisition
    >(EOS10D 28-135 IS USM lens, etc.). I noticed something that weirded me
    >out at first. The front end of the lens (the end where the lens cap
    >attaches) barrel wobbles around a little bit. The lens doesn't wobble in
    >the mount, just at the part that slides in and out as you zoom. Called
    >the dealer I got it from and they tried a couple of lenses and said the
    >ones they had did that. Figured I'd call Canon and they said the same
    >thing, that it was part of the design. Any ideas on this? Anyone else
    >notice it? I did this with the camera unpowered, as the battery charge
    >was too low and I had to pull it out to charge it.
    >Or am I making much ado about nothing?
    >Thanks much.

    Yep, they all do it! Had my local store get a second one in, just to
    check. And half a dozen responses here said the same.

    Kinda counter-intuitive if you think of this as a precision piece of
    optics. But its movement is lateral - not axial and not twisting, so I
    guess this movement is built into the calculations. You're not touching
    it when taking pictures, so it probably floats in the right position
    when it's critical.

    --
    Alan F Cross
    Alan F Cross, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Jack

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Jack <> wrote:
    >Finally getting to spend some quality time with my new acquisition
    >(EOS10D 28-135 IS USM lens, etc.). I noticed something that weirded me
    >out at first. The front end of the lens (the end where the lens cap
    >attaches) barrel wobbles around a little bit. The lens doesn't wobble in
    >the mount, just at the part that slides in and out as you zoom. Called
    >the dealer I got it from and they tried a couple of lenses and said the
    >ones they had did that. Figured I'd call Canon and they said the same
    >thing, that it was part of the design. Any ideas on this? Anyone else
    >notice it?

    Mine has a bit of play as well. Haven't found it to be a problem.
    Chris Brown, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Jack

    Jack Guest

    In article <>, in rec.photo.digital,
    says...
    > In message <>, Jack
    > <> writes
    > >Finally getting to spend some quality time with my new acquisition
    > >(EOS10D 28-135 IS USM lens, etc.). I noticed something that weirded me
    > >out at first. The front end of the lens (the end where the lens cap
    > >attaches) barrel wobbles around a little bit. The lens doesn't wobble in
    > >the mount, just at the part that slides in and out as you zoom. Called
    > >the dealer I got it from and they tried a couple of lenses and said the
    > >ones they had did that. Figured I'd call Canon and they said the same
    > >thing, that it was part of the design. Any ideas on this? Anyone else
    > >notice it? I did this with the camera unpowered, as the battery charge
    > >was too low and I had to pull it out to charge it.
    > >Or am I making much ado about nothing?
    > >Thanks much.

    > Yep, they all do it! Had my local store get a second one in, just to
    > check. And half a dozen responses here said the same.
    >
    > Kinda counter-intuitive if you think of this as a precision piece of
    > optics. But its movement is lateral - not axial and not twisting, so I
    > guess this movement is built into the calculations. You're not touching
    > it when taking pictures, so it probably floats in the right position
    > when it's critical.

    Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear I'm not alone on this. I'm surprised
    in all the research I did prior to getting this camera that no one has
    mentioned it. I'm guessing that it's part of the stabilization process.
    --
    de Jack N2MPU FN20
    Jack, Jan 15, 2004
  5. Jack

    MarkH Guest

    Chris Brown <_uce_please.com> wrote in news:dl0jd1-
    :

    > In article <>,
    > Jack <> wrote:
    >>Finally getting to spend some quality time with my new acquisition
    >>(EOS10D 28-135 IS USM lens, etc.). I noticed something that weirded me
    >>out at first. The front end of the lens (the end where the lens cap
    >>attaches) barrel wobbles around a little bit. The lens doesn't wobble in
    >>the mount, just at the part that slides in and out as you zoom. Called
    >>the dealer I got it from and they tried a couple of lenses and said the
    >>ones they had did that. Figured I'd call Canon and they said the same
    >>thing, that it was part of the design. Any ideas on this? Anyone else
    >>notice it?

    > Mine has a bit of play as well. Haven't found it to be a problem.

    Mine too, but I have only taken 5 or 6 thousand shots through that lens
    without a problem, so what do I know?

    I vote for this being classified as a non-issue.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Jan 15, 2004
  6. Jack

    jriegle Guest

    Welcome to plastic fantastic! I have experience with Canon, Nikon, Pentax
    and several third party zooms made from plastics and there is always play in
    the front end. Some models worse than others and the cheapest Nikon and
    Canon zooms are pretty bad.
    John

    jriegle, Jan 15, 2004
  7. On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:12:51 -0500, Jack <> wrote:

    >Finally getting to spend some quality time with my new acquisition
    >(EOS10D 28-135 IS USM lens, etc.). I noticed something that weirded me
    >out at first. The front end of the lens (the end where the lens cap
    >attaches) barrel wobbles around a little bit. The lens doesn't wobble in
    >the mount, just at the part that slides in and out as you zoom. Called
    >the dealer I got it from and they tried a couple of lenses and said the
    >ones they had did that. Figured I'd call Canon and they said the same
    >thing, that it was part of the design. Any ideas on this? Anyone else
    >notice it? I did this with the camera unpowered, as the battery charge
    >was too low and I had to pull it out to charge it.
    >Or am I making much ado about nothing?
    >Thanks much.

    That's typical, all my AF Canon lenses did that, the 28-105 was the
    worst. It was damn near a shift lens.

    Peter

    turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

    Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html
    Peter Charles, Jan 15, 2004
  8. Jack

    Mark M Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear I'm not alone on this. I'm surprised
    > in all the research I did prior to getting this camera that no one has
    > mentioned it. I'm guessing that it's part of the stabilization process.

    It is not mentioned due to it being irrelevant.
    You will suffer no ill effects.
    Mark M, Jan 17, 2004
  9. Jack

    Mark M Guest

    "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    > Chris Brown <_uce_please.com> wrote in news:dl0jd1-
    > :
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Jack <> wrote:
    > >>Finally getting to spend some quality time with my new acquisition
    > >>(EOS10D 28-135 IS USM lens, etc.). I noticed something that weirded me
    > >>out at first. The front end of the lens (the end where the lens cap
    > >>attaches) barrel wobbles around a little bit. The lens doesn't wobble in
    > >>the mount, just at the part that slides in and out as you zoom. Called
    > >>the dealer I got it from and they tried a couple of lenses and said the
    > >>ones they had did that. Figured I'd call Canon and they said the same
    > >>thing, that it was part of the design. Any ideas on this? Anyone else
    > >>notice it?

    > > Mine has a bit of play as well. Haven't found it to be a problem.

    > Mine too, but I have only taken 5 or 6 thousand shots through that lens
    > without a problem, so what do I know?
    >
    > I vote for this being classified as a non-issue.

    After about 20,000 shots though mine (literally), I'd call it a non-issue
    too.
    Mark M, Jan 17, 2004
  10. Jack

    Gaul Guest

    Where is this lens manufactured?

    Gaul, Jan 18, 2004
  11. Jack

    LouTheArtist

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    I was so about to embark in a shipping journey with checking lenses because I'm saying to my self, like darn this is a new camera and why does my lens move, wabble, and wiggle, and feels like someone dropped it and is now missing parts inside making it loose? :stupido3:

    I'm glad I'm not alone and I found this thread!
    Thanks all for the info! :adore:
    Lou-

    :congrats:
    LouTheArtist, Mar 6, 2011