    Option 2: 20d + 17-85IS
    Option 3: 20d + 17-85IS + 28-135IS (pointless?)

    What would be the best upgrade option?

    Chetan Mistry, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Chetan Mistry

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Chetan Mistry wrote:

    > I thinking of upgrading my 35mm EOS 30e (Elan 7e) SLR to a 20d.
    > However I'm not sure if I should hang on to my EF 28-135 IS lens and
    > use it with the 20d. What are the pros and cons of keeping this lens?
    > Ideally I'd like to get the 20d with the EFS 17-85 IS lens but it all
    > depends on budget. I belive my options are:
    >
    > Option 1: 20d + 18-55 + 28-135IS

    This is what I'd do.. I don't know your shooting style, but
    personally, I'd like to have the option of having the 135mm focal
    length for the odd instance where you couldn't get close enough.

    Jim Townsend, Oct 17, 2004

  3. Chetan Mistry

    Matt Ion Guest

    Chetan Mistry wrote:

    > I thinking of upgrading my 35mm EOS 30e (Elan 7e) SLR to a 20d.
    > However I'm not sure if I should hang on to my EF 28-135 IS lens and
    > use it with the 20d. What are the pros and cons of keeping this lens?
    > Ideally I'd like to get the 20d with the EFS 17-85 IS lens but it all
    > depends on budget. I belive my options are:
    >
    > Option 1: 20d + 18-55 + 28-135IS
    > Option 2: 20d + 17-85IS
    > Option 3: 20d + 17-85IS + 28-135IS (pointless?)
    >
    > What would be the best upgrade option?

    DO you shoot a lot more close-up, wide-angle stuff that would require
    something in the 17mm-28mm range, or do you lean more toward long-range
    telephoto shots that would benefit from the 85mm-135mm range?

    Matt Ion, Oct 17, 2004
  4. Chetan Mistry

    Chuck Guest

    some reviews:

    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=10&sort=7&thecat=27

    Chuck, Oct 17, 2004
  5. Chetan Mistry

    Chuck, Oct 17, 2004
  6. Chetan Mistry

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    I've gone with option 2. But also have 300D + 18-55 + 28-135IS (now
    wife's system). That works fine, too -- just more lens switching in cities.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Oct 17, 2004
  7. Chetan Mistry

    Skip M Guest

    "Chetan Mistry" <> wrote in message
    >I thinking of upgrading my 35mm EOS 30e (Elan 7e) SLR to a 20d.
    > However I'm not sure if I should hang on to my EF 28-135 IS lens and
    > use it with the 20d. What are the pros and cons of keeping this lens?
    > Ideally I'd like to get the 20d with the EFS 17-85 IS lens but it all
    > depends on budget. I belive my options are:
    >
    > Option 1: 20d + 18-55 + 28-135IS
    > Option 2: 20d + 17-85IS
    > Option 3: 20d + 17-85IS + 28-135IS (pointless?)
    >
    > What would be the best upgrade option?

    I inadvertently went with option #1, I bought a 20D with 18-55 to get my
    hands on a second 20D after Canon slowed down their shipments of "body
    only." I'm amazed at the quality of image, but the lens is cheap, cheap,
    cheap. But only $100 more than the body only price, it's sort of hard to
    argue with unless you really need IS.
    Here's an image with the 18-55:
    http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-...ery=My 20D images/Day at the Races&picture=26

    And the 28-135:
    http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-...ery=My 20D images/Day at the Races&picture=20

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Oct 17, 2004
  8. Chetan Mistry

    philipp Guest

    Skip - These are some great action shots - Question - Did you have the
    IS turned ON or OFF in the action photos?

    philipp, Oct 18, 2004
  9. Chetan Mistry

    Skip M Guest

    I forgot to turn the IS off, as it should be with the 28-135 IS when
    panning.

    Skip M, Oct 18, 2004
  10. Chetan Mistry

    philipp Guest

    It didn't seem to hurt anything though.

    I would like to see a comparison of similar shots with the IS both ON & OFF.

    philipp, Oct 19, 2004
  11. Chetan Mistry

    Skip M Guest

    Yeah, me too! ;-)
    There is a little softness around the numbers and lettering, I'm not sure if
    that is because of my poor panning technique, IS being left on, or
    unexpected movement, laterally or vertically, of the cars. The ones taken
    with my 100-400 don't exhibit this, that lens has a panning mode.

    Skip M, Oct 19, 2004
  12. Chetan Mistry

    Art Salmons Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message news:<L5Jcd.47578$hj.40267@fed1read07>...
    > I forgot to turn the IS off, as it should be with the 28-135 IS when
    > panning.

    Skip, I've seen your posts up here for a long time and I have a
    question about the 28-135mm IS lens. I just bought one used with no
    manual and I was wondering on how the IS button works. When it's in
    the postion like a circle is it turned on? I also want a
    recommendation for a wide angle zoom to use on my 10D I have a EF 20mm
    f2.8 Canon lens and that works fine but I would prefer a zoom.

    Thanks, Art

    Art Salmons, Oct 21, 2004
  13. Chetan Mistry

    Skip M Guest

    "Art Salmons" <> wrote in message
    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    >> I forgot to turn the IS off, as it should be with the 28-135 IS when
    >> panning.
    >>

    > Skip, I've seen your posts up here for a long time and I have a
    > question about the 28-135mm IS lens. I just bought one used with no
    > manual and I was wondering on how the IS button works. When it's in
    > the postion like a circle is it turned on? I also want a
    > recommendation for a wide angle zoom to use on my 10D I have a EF 20mm
    > f2.8 Canon lens and that works fine but I would prefer a zoom.
    >
    > Thanks, Art

    Think "In" (I) and "Out" (O) The "I" position is on, the "O" is off.
    As far as a wide angle, a lot of people are happy with the Canon 17-40mm
    f4L, it costs a lot less than the 16-35 f2.8L, I have the Sigma 17-35mm
    f2.8-4 that I'm pretty happy with, and I've heard good things about the
    Tamron version of same.

    Skip M, Oct 21, 2004