    sky.

    A fault, or so called characteristic?

    Cheers

    Tod, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Tod

    Guest

    There are two different effects going on here; a) a light falloff due
    to "shearing of the aperture" causing a cos**4 light fall off towards
    the corners, and b) actual vignetting of the light bundles.

    , Mar 1, 2005

  3. Tod

    Chuck Guest

    the 17-85 USM IS is a toy. Return it and grab a 17-40 L instead

    "Tod" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > Hi all
    >
    > Anyone else heard of problems with dark corners on photos shot at wider

    end
    > of the lens, using a Canon 20D and 18-85IS lens?
    >
    > I initially thought that maybe it was due to the lens hood or maybe even

    the
    > UV filter, but even with these removed I still get vingetting.
    >
    > It is worse during dusk/dawn and is particularly noticeable against a

    clear

    Chuck, Mar 1, 2005
  4. On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:05:47 -0500, "Chuck" <nospammm@no__spam.com>
    wrote:

    >the 17-85 USM IS is a toy. Return it and grab a 17-40 L instead

    I agree with that. I'm just getting a body and that as well as other
    lenses. I'm not getting any of the EF-S lenses.

    You can get a body and that lens 2049 and change at B&H and have a
    far better system.

    "For a Texan the names of guns and caliber numbers are
    magic; Winchester and Colt and Remington and Smith & Wesson;
    .30-30 and .22, .44 and .45 and .32 and .38-Special.
    You could speak of a Texas boy's growth as his .410, his 20
    and 12 guage years."

    _Home From the Hill_
    William Humphery

    John A. Stovall, Mar 1, 2005
  5. "John A. Stovall" <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:05:47 -0500, "Chuck" <nospammm@no__spam.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >the 17-85 USM IS is a toy. Return it and grab a 17-40 L instead

    > I agree with that. I'm just getting a body and that as well as other
    > lenses. I'm not getting any of the EF-S lenses.

    The 10-22 is a _lot_ of fun. It focuses _amazingly_ close, too.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Mar 1, 2005
  6. Tod

    measekite Guest

    Are you saying that you are just going to get an L lens. I wonder if I
    can see any difference in an 8x10 taken with the same camera.

    measekite, Mar 1, 2005
  7. Tod

    TAFKAB Guest

    > "John A. Stovall" <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:05:47 -0500, "Chuck" <nospammm@no__spam.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >the 17-85 USM IS is a toy. Return it and grab a 17-40 L instead

    >> I agree with that. I'm just getting a body and that as well as other
    >> lenses. I'm not getting any of the EF-S lenses.

    > The 10-22 is a _lot_ of fun. It focuses _amazingly_ close, too.

    That's next on my list. I should receive the first three pieces of my 20D
    outfit tomorrow, and next week will scoop the 10-22. It looks really nice. I
    went with the 17-40L and 70-200L (f4) for starters. All the "old" gear is on
    E-Bay and doing quite well. After the auctions close, and I know exactly how
    much I can play with, I'll go from there. I would like to find something to
    match the 17-40, though. There's a gap between 40 and 70, but not too bad.

    Onward and upward...

    TAFKAB, Mar 1, 2005
  8. "measekite" <> wrote:

    > Are you saying that you are just going to get an L lens. I wonder if I
    > can see any difference in an 8x10 taken with the same camera.

    If you shoot a cheap consumer zoom wide open, and a L lens stopped down to
    f/5.6, you should be able to see the difference. Things like CA, soft
    corners, light fall off are visible in prints.

    The argument for cheap zooms, however, is that _any_ photograph is better
    than _no_ photograph.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Mar 2, 2005
  9. Tod

    Musty Guest

    "Chuck" <nospammm@no__spam.com> wrote in message
    > the 17-85 USM IS is a toy. Return it and grab a 17-40 L instead

    The OP was referring to the 18-55 kit lens, not the 17-85 which is a good
    lens (and not cheap at $600). I am not sure in what sense the 17-85 is a
    "toy". Its very solidly constructed and takes very good photographs. Many
    users who own the 17-40L and the 17-85 speak very favourbly about the 17-85.

    Musty, Mar 2, 2005
  10. Tod

    measekite Guest

    Yes but the 75-300 IS Canon and the 17-85 are not what you would call
    cheap Zooms. They cost a lot of money. I do agree the the DR Kit lens
    is a cheap zoom.

    measekite, Mar 2, 2005