Canon 20D No image stabilizer?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wayne Menzie, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. Wayne Menzie

    Wayne Menzie Guest

    "Danny" <> wrote in news:cg5edc$h1t$1
    @news.iucc.ac.il:

    > Looking through the specs I found no mention of an image stabilizer. Is
    > there none?

    None in the body but they did announce a F4-5.6, 17 - 85 mm EF-S lens with
    IS. Will retail for around $600 I believe.

    --
    Wayne Menzie

    Wayne Menzie, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Wayne Menzie

    gmr2048 Guest

    From what I've read, the only in-camera stabilizer (for a DSLR) is in
    the upcoming Minolta Dynax7Digital. I could be wrong tho, since I
    don't spend a lot of time looking at the $4,000+ cameras.

    -gary
    http://www.eighteenpercent.net

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:04:51 +0200, "Danny" <>
    wrote:

    >Looking through the specs I found no mention of an image stabilizer. Is
    >there none?

    -gary
    gmr2048 at yahoo dot com
    Washington DC, USA
    http://www.eighteenpercent.net

    gmr2048, Aug 20, 2004

  3. Danny wrote:

    > Looking through the specs I found no mention of an image stabilizer. Is
    > there none?

    If you want IS with a Canon DSLR, then you buy an IS lens.

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Aug 20, 2004
  4. Wayne Menzie

    Danny Guest

    Danny, Aug 20, 2004
  5. Wayne Menzie

    G. Innipig Guest

    G. Innipig, Aug 20, 2004
  6. Wayne Menzie

    G. Innipig Guest

    "Danny" <> wrote in message
    > Looking through the specs I found no mention of an image stabilizer. Is
    > there none?

    Have you been on Saturn? IS is not in the camera, never has been with Canon
    DSLRs.

    G. Innipig, Aug 20, 2004
  7. "G. Innipig" <> wrote in

    > "Danny" <> wrote in message
    >> Looking through the specs I found no mention of an image stabilizer.
    >> Is there none?
    >>

    > Have you been on Saturn? IS is not in the camera, never has been with
    > Canon DSLRs.

    As a matter of fact - it is a rather new solution to have
    IS in the camera body. I wonder - do anyone else but Minolta
    have such a beast in any camera? Moving the sensor that is.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Aug 20, 2004
  8. "Danny" <> wrote in message
    > Looking through the specs I found no mention of an image stabilizer. Is
    > there none?

    Some brief education on the subject- Image Stabilisation is built into
    lenses, with only one exception. Canon's IS involves moving glass elements
    within their lenses. Minolta have designed an Anti-Shake system based around
    a moving sensor which automatically compensates in the same way Canon's IS
    elements do.

    Many people have argued Canon's system is the only effective way, that
    Minolta's system doesn't adequately account for all focal lengths. Others
    bemoan the lack of IS in their favourite Canon lenses (f2.8 glass and short
    tele primes, for example) and would like to see Canon adopt the Minolta
    version (and alienating all those folks who upgraded when an IS lens was
    launched in the process). Until the Digital Dynax/Maxxum goes live the point
    is moot- there are only a few ways of image stabilising in DSLRs, and one of
    them is a tripod.

    no, and yes...."

    Martin Francis, Aug 20, 2004
  9. Wayne Menzie

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Canon IS is done in the lenses for SLRs. They do have a P&S that does IS --
    but that is probably with the mechanism in the lens too. Minolta has an IS
    body but it doesn't adjust for movement in all directions.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 20, 2004
  10. Wayne Menzie

    Mark M Guest

    "Danny" <> wrote in message
    > Looking through the specs I found no mention of an image stabilizer. Is
    > there none?

    There has never been a body-based image stabilizer in any Canon DSLR.
    This is nothing new.
    IS is lens specific.

    Mark M, Aug 20, 2004
  11. Wayne Menzie

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Tony Spadaro wrote:
    > Canon IS is done in the lenses for SLRs. They do have a P&S that does IS --
    > but that is probably with the mechanism in the lens too.

    It is .. same as used in the Oly C2100UZ under Canon license.

    Phil Wheeler, Aug 20, 2004
  12. Wayne Menzie

    Sabineellen Guest

    > there are only a few ways of image stabilising in DSLRs, and one of
    >them is a tripod.

    The other is shutter-priority, of course.

    Sabineellen, Aug 20, 2004
  13. Tony Spadaro wrote:
    > Canon IS is done in the lenses for SLRs. They do have a P&S that does
    > IS -- but that is probably with the mechanism in the lens too.
    > Minolta has an IS body but it doesn't adjust for movement in all
    > directions.

    ... and which direction doesn't it adjust for, that Canon IS does?

    David J Taylor, Aug 21, 2004
  14. Wayne Menzie

    Hunt Guest

    In article <cg5lq9$a2l$>, ternet
    says...

    >"Danny" <> wrote in message
    >> Looking through the specs I found no mention of an image stabilizer. Is
    >> there none?

    >Some brief education on the subject- Image Stabilisation is built into
    >lenses, with only one exception. Canon's IS involves moving glass elements
    >within their lenses. Minolta have designed an Anti-Shake system based around
    >a moving sensor which automatically compensates in the same way Canon's IS
    >elements do.
    >
    >Many people have argued Canon's system is the only effective way, that
    >Minolta's system doesn't adequately account for all focal lengths. Others
    >bemoan the lack of IS in their favourite Canon lenses (f2.8 glass and short
    >tele primes, for example) and would like to see Canon adopt the Minolta
    >version (and alienating all those folks who upgraded when an IS lens was
    >launched in the process). Until the Digital Dynax/Maxxum goes live the point
    >is moot- there are only a few ways of image stabilising in DSLRs, and one of
    >them is a tripod.
    >
    >--
    >Martin Francis

    Well stated. I guess that years with 4x5 & 8x10 have endeared me to some sort
    of firm stabilisation method. OTOH, a friend's IS Canon 50-300 [?] sure was
    nice for his hand-held shots at, or near, max tele. In his case, a tripod is
    out of the question for a lot of his shots - and he used to shoot an RP-67 and
    4x5 too!!!!

    Hunt

    Hunt, Aug 21, 2004
  15. In article <cg5edc$h1t$>, Danny
    <> wrote:

    > Looking through the specs I found no mention of an image stabilizer. Is
    > there none?

    *Tard* they're built into the lenses (or some of them anyway)

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 21, 2004
  16. Wayne Menzie

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Dave Herzstein <> wrote:
    >Danny wrote:
    >>
    >> Looking through the specs I found no mention of an image stabilizer. Is
    >> there none?

    >If you want IS with a Canon DSLR, then you buy an IS lens.

    yabut, that way you buy a new image stabilizer with
    each lens. At some point it becomes cheaper to have
    it in the body...

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Aug 21, 2004
  17. Wayne Menzie

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Roland Karlsson <> wrote:
    >"G. Innipig" <> wrote in

    >> "Danny" <> wrote in message
    >>> Looking through the specs I found no mention of an image stabilizer.
    >>> Is there none?
    >>>

    >> Have you been on Saturn? IS is not in the camera, never has been with
    >> Canon DSLRs.
    >>

    >As a matter of fact - it is a rather new solution to have
    >IS in the camera body. I wonder - do anyone else but Minolta
    >have such a beast in any camera? Moving the sensor that is.

    As far as I know, you are right. And I'd bet that the
    technology is tricky. After the new Minolta has been
    out for a while will we hear stories of the IS going
    out of whack?

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Aug 21, 2004
  18. Wayne Menzie

    Paul J Gans Guest

    David J Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
    >Tony Spadaro wrote:
    >> Canon IS is done in the lenses for SLRs. They do have a P&S that does
    >> IS -- but that is probably with the mechanism in the lens too.
    >> Minolta has an IS body but it doesn't adjust for movement in all
    >> directions.

    >.. and which direction doesn't it adjust for, that Canon IS does?

    Back and forth?

    :)

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Aug 21, 2004
  19. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:4vvVc.4028$%...
    > Tony Spadaro wrote:
    > > Canon IS is done in the lenses for SLRs. They do have a P&S that does
    > > IS -- but that is probably with the mechanism in the lens too.
    > > Minolta has an IS body but it doesn't adjust for movement in all
    > > directions.

    > .. and which direction doesn't it adjust for, that Canon IS does?

    Panning.

    Robert Meyers, Aug 21, 2004
  20. Wayne Menzie

    George Guest

    "Paul J Gans" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Herzstein <> wrote:
    > >Danny wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Looking through the specs I found no mention of an image stabilizer. Is
    > >> there none?

    > >If you want IS with a Canon DSLR, then you buy an IS lens.

    > yabut, that way you buy a new image stabilizer with
    > each lens. At some point it becomes cheaper to have
    > it in the body...
    >
    > ---- Paul J. Gans

    If that made any sense at all, they'd take the shutter out of the lens and
    put
    THAT in the camera body, too. Wait a minute...disregard this message. ;)

    George

    George, Aug 21, 2004