Canon 20D lockup when using IS and EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by badchess, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. badchess

    badchess Guest

    I've searched for an answer, but maybe I've missed it. But...

    I've got a canon 20D and when I use my EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
    lens

    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=150&modelid=7344

    if I have the stabilizer on, after a few shots the camera will lock
    (showing 00 on the screen where the F-stop number normally lives).

    I have not experienced this problem if I do not use the image
    stabilizer.

    I have the battery pack on the camera with two canon batteries (BP511)
    installed.

    I hae to turn the cmaera off and take the lens off to "reboot" the
    camera and take pictures again.

    I do not experience this problem with any other lens, or if the image
    stabilization is off. On the other hand, none of my other lenes have
    IS).

    Is this the lens or the camera? Is there an easy fix? Do I have to
    send the expensive lens a thousand miles away and hope they can fix
    whatever the problem might be?
    badchess, Dec 11, 2005

  2. Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 11, 2005

  3. I have the same problem ... same lens and same camera.

    My guess is that high current drain causes a voltage drop that scrambles the
    camera's processor.

    Canon must know about this problem but, as is typical these days, will not
    ackowledge it.

    A low-resistance battery contact is important and the battery grip is
    notably poor in this arena. Clean the battery contacts and use freshly
    charged batteries.

    You are not alone!
    Charles Schuler, Dec 12, 2005
  4. badchess

    badchess Guest

    Hmmmm, interesting. I'll forgoe the battery grip and do some shooting
    and see if there is a difference. I'll post back with some data. I
    like the lens. Naturally it worked great until I went on vacation.
    badchess, Dec 12, 2005
  5. badchess

    SamSez Guest

    "badchess" <> wrote in

    > I've searched for an answer, but maybe I've missed it. But...
    >
    > I've got a canon 20D and when I use my EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
    > lens
    >
    > http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategor
    > yid=150&modelid=7344
    >
    > if I have the stabilizer on, after a few shots the camera will lock
    > (showing 00 on the screen where the F-stop number normally lives).
    >
    > I have not experienced this problem if I do not use the image
    > stabilizer.
    >
    > I have the battery pack on the camera with two canon batteries (BP511)
    > installed.
    >
    > I hae to turn the cmaera off and take the lens off to "reboot" the
    > camera and take pictures again.
    >
    > I do not experience this problem with any other lens, or if the image
    > stabilization is off. On the other hand, none of my other lenes have
    > IS).
    >

    > Is this the lens or the camera? Is there an easy fix? Do I have to
    > send the expensive lens a thousand miles away and hope they can fix
    > whatever the problem might be?

    I have taken thousands of shots with the 100-400 [20% with the 1.4
    xtender] on a 20d, almost always with IS on, and never had a problem --
    but I don't have the grip.

    Wasn't there a recall on the grip at one time?
    SamSez, Dec 12, 2005
  6. In article <> "badchess" <> writes:
    $if I have the stabilizer on, after a few shots the camera will lock
    $(showing 00 on the screen where the F-stop number normally lives).

    The 70-200 IS is famous for causing lockups with the 20D,
    but it's not the only lens which does so. I can't say I'm entirely
    surprised if the 100-400 does it, too.

    $I have not experienced this problem if I do not use the image
    $stabilizer.

    That's a good clue. Canon's semi-official word on the 70-200
    issue is that it's an issue of poor contact due to the weight of
    the lens. There are those who find that hard to believe, and while
    I usually believe Chuck Westfall, the guy at Canon who posted
    their explanation, I too find it a bit illogical; if anything,
    the weight of the lens should _improve_ connectivity since the
    contacts are the bottom of the lens mount.

    There are also people who report that there is a new design
    for the IS module in the 70-200 which fixes (or at least reduces
    the frequency of) this problem. IS obviously draws current in
    order to do what it does, and it apparently is a fair bit of
    current, as people have been reporting significantly reduced
    battery life with IS lenses ever since they came out. Putting
    two and two together, that makes it sounds like an issue of
    the lens drawing too much current.

    $I have the battery pack on the camera with two canon batteries (BP511)
    $installed.

    There was an electrical bug with early versions of the BG-E2,
    for which Canon issued a recall. Check to see if it applies to
    yours.

    Also, since dirty contacts will impede power delivery, make sure
    all of the relevant contacts (lens mount, batteries, battery
    compartments, and the end of the grip which connects to the camera)
    are clean.

    Also, try using the body without the grip; does that make any
    difference?
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn <>

    Stephen M. Dunn, Dec 12, 2005
  7. badchess

    Skip M Guest

    "Stephen M. Dunn" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>
    > "badchess" <> writes:
    > $if I have the stabilizer on, after a few shots the camera will lock
    > $(showing 00 on the screen where the F-stop number normally lives).
    >
    > The 70-200 IS is famous for causing lockups with the 20D,
    > but it's not the only lens which does so. I can't say I'm entirely
    > surprised if the 100-400 does it, too.
    >
    > $I have not experienced this problem if I do not use the image
    > $stabilizer.
    >
    > That's a good clue. Canon's semi-official word on the 70-200
    > issue is that it's an issue of poor contact due to the weight of
    > the lens. There are those who find that hard to believe, and while
    > I usually believe Chuck Westfall, the guy at Canon who posted
    > their explanation, I too find it a bit illogical; if anything,
    > the weight of the lens should _improve_ connectivity since the
    > contacts are the bottom of the lens mount.
    >
    > There are also people who report that there is a new design
    > for the IS module in the 70-200 which fixes (or at least reduces
    > the frequency of) this problem. IS obviously draws current in
    > order to do what it does, and it apparently is a fair bit of
    > current, as people have been reporting significantly reduced
    > battery life with IS lenses ever since they came out. Putting
    > two and two together, that makes it sounds like an issue of
    > the lens drawing too much current.
    >
    > $I have the battery pack on the camera with two canon batteries (BP511)
    > $installed.
    >
    > There was an electrical bug with early versions of the BG-E2,
    > for which Canon issued a recall. Check to see if it applies to
    > yours.

    That's good advice, the only time I had a lockup with my 20D and 70-200 was
    when I was carrying the camera by the flash bracked, and the weight of the
    lens torqued the body enough to pull it away from the (slightly loosened)
    grip enough to cause a "power outage."

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Dec 12, 2005
  8. badchess

    W (winhag) Guest

    Do you have the latest firmware in your 20D?

    W (winhag), Dec 12, 2005
  9. In article <zF5nf.3299$du.2535@fed1read02>, Skip M
    <> writes
    >>Canon's semi-official word on the 70-200
    >> issue is that it's an issue of poor contact due to the weight of
    >> the lens. There are those who find that hard to believe, and while
    >> I usually believe Chuck Westfall, the guy at Canon who posted
    >> their explanation, I too find it a bit illogical; if anything,
    >> the weight of the lens should _improve_ connectivity since the
    >> contacts are the bottom of the lens mount.

    I don't think Canon are talking about the electrical contacts between
    the lens and the camera - if they are, then serious OPTICAL problems
    will be present long before the distortion of the mount due to the lens
    weight gets enough to cause electrical contact problems. I suspect/hope
    that they are talking about the contacts between the camera and the
    grip, resulting in "brown-outs" of the camera's power supply, which can
    certainly cause lock-ups on most software driven electrical equipment,
    not just DSLRs.
    --
    Kennedy
    Kennedy McEwen, Dec 12, 2005
  10. badchess

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 01:24:42 GMT, SamSez wrote:

    > I have taken thousands of shots with the 100-400 [20% with the 1.4
    > xtender] on a 20d, almost always with IS on, and never had a problem --
    > but I don't have the grip.
    >
    > Wasn't there a recall on the grip at one time?

    There was a recall earlier this year, restricted to a certain
    range of serial numbers, IIRC. I'm only aware of one thing that was
    fixed (although it's likely that there were more) is that if
    alkaline AA batteries were used, their life was extremely short.
    Sometimes less than a dozen shots, in other cases a couple of dozen.
    I don't think that there was a battery life problem if BP511
    batteries were used instead. My guess is that the fix cleared up
    several issues, which may not have been limited to AA usage. It
    would be interesting to find out whether the lens lockup ever occurs
    when either good or fixed battery grips are used, of if the battery
    grip isn't used. My guess is that when the battery grip is used and
    high current is drawn by the camera, poor contacts or lack of heavy
    duty wiring (I hope aluminum isn't used instead of copper) results
    in voltage problems as seen by the camera/lens. A low, fluctuating
    voltage, with CPU-unfriendly transients could be too much for some
    lenses to deal with.
    ASAAR, Dec 12, 2005