Canon 20D lockup problems

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jerry, Sep 18, 2004.

  1. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Jerry, Sep 18, 2004

  2. Jerry

    James Fisher Guest

    Where are all these people getting these 20ds?

    I have yet to see anyone that reports that this camera is in stock. About half
    a dozen people said that they got theirs from b&h, b&h only recently began
    taking pre-orders and still reports it as not even being in stock.. I
    preordered my 20d from adorama a couple of weeks ago and still haven't heard
    jack shit from them about available. How are people saying that they got
    theirs a week ago?

    Any route I'm cancelling my 20d order..

    James Fisher, Sep 18, 2004

  3. Jerry

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    First deliveries reported from Calumet Photo in Chicago 8 days ago.
    Many more were delivered last week. Body-only and 18-55 kit configurations.

    17-85IS kits are expected mid-to-late next week.

    Aside from B&H, most reports are deliveries from local shops. Here in
    L.A. several had ads in the L.A. Times last week saying the 20D is in stock.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 18, 2004
  4. "James Fisher" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > Any route I'm cancelling my 20d order..

    Good, it'll make someone else happy.

    Do you believe all of these 'reports' are genuine? Has any of those
    'reports' a common denominator (fake poster, OEM lens, cheap CF card,
    cheap battery, etc.)?
    I'm not saying there is no issue, but there is no solid reason to
    think there is one either, or that it won't be fixed (if there is
    anything to be fixed).

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Sep 18, 2004
  5. Jerry

    Eric Gill Guest

    James Fisher <> wrote in news:10kok7lltmeilc0
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > Where are all these people getting these 20ds?

    From Canon, of course. And, as usual, they are spreading their available
    units around to piss off as few people as possible.

    The nearest camera shop to my home received exactly two, which I wistfully
    watched pass over to the first two people on the waiting list.

    Be patient.

    Eric Gill, Sep 18, 2004
  6. Jerry

    Skip M Guest

    "Eric Gill" <> wrote in message
    > James Fisher <> wrote in news:10kok7lltmeilc0
    > @corp.supernews.com:
    >
    > > Where are all these people getting these 20ds?

    > From Canon, of course. And, as usual, they are spreading their available
    > units around to piss off as few people as possible.
    >
    > The nearest camera shop to my home received exactly two, which I wistfully
    > watched pass over to the first two people on the waiting list.
    >
    > Be patient.

    Or to spread out the distribution of pissed of people, anyway. <G>

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Sep 18, 2004
  7. Jerry

    Skip M Guest

    > Where are all these people getting these 20ds?
    >
    > I have yet to see anyone that reports that this camera is in stock. About

    half
    > a dozen people said that they got theirs from b&h, b&h only recently began
    > taking pre-orders and still reports it as not even being in stock.. I
    > preordered my 20d from adorama a couple of weeks ago and still haven't

    heard
    > jack shit from them about available. How are people saying that they got
    > theirs a week ago?
    >
    > Any route I'm cancelling my 20d order..
    >
    > Jerry wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone here have the same, maby I will wait before I buy.
    > >

    > > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=10313358

    Why are you canceling?
    The reports I've read of "lockup" are either with a cheap aftermarket
    battery, an aftermarket lens, or from someone with no real posting history.
    I'm going to give my 20D (yes, I got one from a local dealer, yesterday) a
    thorough workout today, including with Sigma lenses, E-film battery. I
    mean, someone with the screen name "Gotya," the instigator of thread you
    linked, has to throw some doubt on the subject. There seems to be an equal
    number of posts in that thread that report no problems. We'll see if there
    are any problems with mine, and I'll let you know...

    Skip M, Sep 18, 2004
  8. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    After reading about all the BUGS I might hold off for a month, especially
    after spending all that damn money, hell the $6.95 camera local drug stores
    camera doesn't lock up like that.
    Watch out on E-Bay the buggy ones could crop up.

    I thougth only WINDOWS 98, se, or XP had bugs.

    Jerry, Sep 18, 2004
  9. Jerry

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Skip M wrote:

    > Why are you canceling?
    > The reports I've read of "lockup" are either with a cheap aftermarket
    > battery, an aftermarket lens, or from someone with no real posting history.

    My read, from 120+ posts, is that there is a real problem: Enough are
    using Canon lenses and batteries to remove the 3rd party theory. There
    was no such rash of posts with either the 10D or the 300D.

    > I'm going to give my 20D (yes, I got one from a local dealer, yesterday) a
    > thorough workout today, including with Sigma lenses, E-film battery. I
    > mean, someone with the screen name "Gotya," the instigator of thread you
    > linked, has to throw some doubt on the subject. There seems to be an equal
    > number of posts in that thread that report no problems. We'll see if there
    > are any problems with mine, and I'll let you know...

    My guess is the "no problem" cases may really be "no problem yet". That
    said, I have one on order (17-85IS kit), expect in a week or two, and
    will take it when it arrives. The camera is still usable with the
    described problem (R&R the battery) and I think/hope that if there is a
    real problem, it will be a firmware fix.

    No need to panic.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 18, 2004
  10. Changing lenses while the camera is on might be a factor.

    Charles Schuler, Sep 18, 2004
  11. In article <3N%2d.213083$Fg5.177033@attbi_s53>, Jerry
    <> wrote:

    > After reading about all the BUGS I might hold off for a month, especially
    > after spending all that damn money, hell the $6.95 camera local drug stores
    > camera doesn't lock up like that.
    > Watch out on E-Bay the buggy ones could crop up.
    >
    > I thougth only WINDOWS 98, se, or XP had bugs.

    Yeah, I remember when I had my first beer.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 19, 2004
  12. In article <>, Charles Schuler
    <> wrote:

    > Changing lenses while the camera is on might be a factor.

    Come on, you can think up a more stupid reason than that.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 19, 2004
  13. Jerry

    Skip M Guest

    I just shot some images with my Sigma 17-35, 15mm fisheye, Canon 28-135 IS,
    Canon battery and E-film battery, no problems, as you say, yet. I'm going
    to give it a good hammering tomorrow, then I'll know more.
    One thing I noticed from the posts was that it seems it happened fairly
    quickly, when the owners were "playing" with it to get familiar with the
    camera. So, maybe it's one of those things that if it's going to happen,
    it'll happen quickly. Or that may just be wishful thinking on my part.
    I'll admit that I didn't read all 120 posts on the subject, but Not very
    many seem to be with both Canon lens and Canon battery.

    Skip M, Sep 19, 2004
  14. Jerry

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Problems have been reported without the lens change (just have the
    camera off for a while) and when changing lenses with the camera off.

    I've not looked over there lately, but there does not seem to be a
    pattern for creating the lockup nor avoiding it (as of six hours ago).
    But there are so many combinations of settings (e.g., mode, ISO, etc.)
    that it may be hard to find one.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 19, 2004
  15. Jerry

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Skip M wrote:

    > I just shot some images with my Sigma 17-35, 15mm fisheye, Canon 28-135 IS,
    > Canon battery and E-film battery, no problems, as you say, yet. I'm going
    > to give it a good hammering tomorrow, then I'll know more.
    > One thing I noticed from the posts was that it seems it happened fairly
    > quickly, when the owners were "playing" with it to get familiar with the
    > camera. So, maybe it's one of those things that if it's going to happen,
    > it'll happen quickly. Or that may just be wishful thinking on my part.
    > I'll admit that I didn't read all 120 posts on the subject, but Not very
    > many seem to be with both Canon lens and Canon battery.

    I will so wish with you, Skip!

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 19, 2004
  16. Jerry

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > In article <>, Charles Schuler
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Changing lenses while the camera is on might be a factor.

    > Come on, you can think up a more stupid reason than that.

    Someone else suggested RFI from a cell phone. How's that? :)

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 19, 2004
  17. Jerry

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > In article <3N%2d.213083$Fg5.177033@attbi_s53>, Jerry
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>After reading about all the BUGS I might hold off for a month, especially
    >>after spending all that damn money, hell the $6.95 camera local drug stores
    >>camera doesn't lock up like that.
    >> Watch out on E-Bay the buggy ones could crop up.
    >>
    >>I thougth only WINDOWS 98, se, or XP had bugs.

    > Yeah, I remember when I had my first beer.

    And I'll bet you did not wait for it to be perfected!

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 19, 2004
  18. On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:51:28 -0700, "Skip M" <>
    wrote:
    <snip> :

    >> > Anyone here have the same, maby I will wait before I buy.
    >> >

    >> > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=10313358
    >> >

    >Why are you canceling?
    >The reports I've read of "lockup" are either with a cheap aftermarket
    >battery, an aftermarket lens, or from someone with no real posting history.
    >I'm going to give my 20D (yes, I got one from a local dealer, yesterday) a
    >thorough workout today, including with Sigma lenses, E-film battery. I

    This sounds much like the so called problems with the D-70 when it
    first came out. I have close to 5,000 images and it's doing fine.

    I'd guess the 20D will do just fine. There may be a few strays here
    and there, but if I didn't have a shelf full of Nikons including a D70
    I'd be willing to take the risk and I'd currently be going after the
    20D. It looks like a very good camera and I've not read of any
    problems in the professional reviews.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Sep 19, 2004
  19. Jerry

    Eric Gill Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in

    > "Eric Gill" <> wrote in message
    >> James Fisher <> wrote in news:10kok7lltmeilc0
    >> @corp.supernews.com:
    >>
    >> > Where are all these people getting these 20ds?

    >> From Canon, of course. And, as usual, they are spreading their
    >> available units around to piss off as few people as possible.
    >>
    >> The nearest camera shop to my home received exactly two, which I
    >> wistfully watched pass over to the first two people on the waiting
    >> list.
    >>
    >> Be patient.
    >>

    > Or to spread out the distribution of pissed of people, anyway. <G>

    Piss off everyone equally, perhaps?

    Eric Gill, Sep 19, 2004
  20. Jerry

    Skip M Guest

    I can say this from the comfort of being #3 and #4 on my local store's
    waiting list. #3 has been delivered, waiting on #4 for my wife...

    Skip M, Sep 19, 2004