    Thanks for any insight!
    Ivan

    , Jun 2, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > Ok, call me a semi-pro film photographer.. I go for the frills and to
    > a point dont care how something works.. But how in the heck am I
    > supposed to take my hyperfocal landscapes when there aint no dang DOF
    > meter on the lenses?

    There are a number of DoF and hyperfocal distance calculators
    available, and many will allow you to print out an easy-to-reference
    table that you can stick into your camera back and pull out as
    required. One example is:

    http://dfleming.ameranet.com/

    David

    David R. Greenberg, Jun 2, 2005

  3. "But how in the heck am I
    supposed to take my hyperfocal landscapes when there aint no dang DOF
    meter on the lenses?"

    Maybe I never looked closely enough at lenses. What would the DOF
    meter be? Is it common?

    James Of Tucson, Jun 2, 2005
  4. James Of Tucson wrote:
    > "But how in the heck am I
    > supposed to take my hyperfocal landscapes when there aint no dang DOF
    > meter on the lenses?"
    >
    > Maybe I never looked closely enough at lenses. What would the DOF
    > meter be? Is it common?

    Little lines on either side of the main focus point - may be in different
    colours for f/8, f/16 etc.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 3, 2005
  5. wrote:

    > Ok, call me a semi-pro film photographer.. I go for the frills and to
    > a point dont care how something works.. But how in the heck am I
    > supposed to take my hyperfocal landscapes when there aint no dang DOF
    > meter on the lenses?
    >
    > Sure I can guess, but what is the fun and sharpness in that?
    >
    > Am I doomed to measure out and mark the lens myself? All I have is my
    > mm zoom levels. Camera can provide my exact zoom and aperture... Only
    > thing I need is my focus distance.
    >
    > Thanks for any insight!
    > Ivan

    Some digital and film cameras have a depth of field mode.
    In this mode, you focus on the near point, then the far point,
    the camera calculates the best focal point and f/stop.
    Depending on your standards, and film or digital ISO speed,
    you may want to stop down one or two more stops.
    I do the hyperfocal points, let the camera set the focus and f/stop,
    then I switch to manual focus and aperture priority, close
    the f/stop down more, compose, and frame away.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jun 5, 2005