Canon 20D leaked offical photos!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. It will be named 20D after all.

    EOS-20D
    8.2 MegaPixels
    DIGIC II
    1:1.6x Crop
    9 Point focusing
    1/8000s Max Shutter speed
    5fps Continuous speed
    25 frame buffer
    EF-s support
    E-TTL II support
    0.2sec shorter startup time than 10D
    50g lighter than 10D

    Two new lenses

    EF-S 10-22 mm f3.5 - 4.5
    EF-S 17-85 IS f4-5.6

    http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/genhtml_photo/photokit_EOS20D.dcr.html

    --
    ------------------------------
    online photo portfolio

    " If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the
    event, what film would you use?"
    - Anonymous

    Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK, Aug 18, 2004

  2. "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message

    > All in all, it looks like a sensible progression. Nothing that makes me

    want
    > to upgrade from my 10D though, so I'll keep the money. If it had a 1.3x
    > sensor and spot meterting, I might feel differently, but methinks I'm

    going
    > to sit this generation out.

    Yep, same here. Waiting for PMA Last Vegas next year, and the EOS 3D.
    Hopefully, Canon will respond to wishes of 10D owners for a 8 mpixel 1,3x
    crop camera.

    The price will probably be around 2,000$, but I could easily justify the
    expense if it's a real step up from my 10D. Going from 10D to 20D just for
    the 2 extra megapixel and E-TTL II doesn't cut it for me.

    --
    ------------------------------

    Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK, Aug 18, 2004

  3. Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK wrote:

    > It will be named 20D after all.
    >
    > EOS-20D
    > 8.2 MegaPixels
    > DIGIC II
    > 1:1.6x Crop
    > 9 Point focusing
    > 1/8000s Max Shutter speed
    > 5fps Continuous speed
    > 25 frame buffer
    > EF-s support
    > E-TTL II support
    > 0.2sec shorter startup time than 10D
    > 50g lighter than 10D
    >
    > Two new lenses
    >
    > EF-S 10-22 mm f3.5 - 4.5
    > EF-S 17-85 IS f4-5.6
    >
    > http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/genhtml_photo/photokit_EOS20D.dcr.html

    Error- Page could not be found

    error code: 404

    The requested item does not exist on this server.
    The link you followed is either inaccurate or may have been deleted.
    Please recheck the URL or follow the link from the list below.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Aug 18, 2004
  4. In article <>, Chris Brown
    <_uce_please.com> writes
    >In article <cfv8pv$hng$>,
    >Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK <> wrote:
    >>It will be named 20D after all.
    >>
    >>EOS-20D
    >>8.2 MegaPixels
    >>DIGIC II
    >>1:1.6x Crop
    >>9 Point focusing
    >>1/8000s Max Shutter speed
    >>5fps Continuous speed
    >>25 frame buffer
    >>EF-s support
    >>E-TTL II support
    >>0.2sec shorter startup time than 10D
    >>50g lighter than 10D

    >All in all, it looks like a sensible progression. Nothing that makes me want
    >to upgrade from my 10D though, so I'll keep the money. If it had a 1.3x
    >sensor and spot meterting, I might feel differently, but methinks I'm going
    >to sit this generation out.

    I agree; in fact I find it a big disappointment. I don't know why they
    bothered. I have a 10D, and the chance of me buying a 20D (except to
    replace a loss) is zero. Like you, a 1.3 sensor would have made me start
    counting the pennies.

    I also find the introduction of more "EF-S" lenses rather sinister.
    --
    David Littlewood

    David Littlewood, Aug 18, 2004
  5. "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message

    > Error- Page could not be found
    >
    > error code: 404
    >
    > The requested item does not exist on this server.
    > The link you followed is either inaccurate or may have been deleted.
    > Please recheck the URL or follow the link from the list below.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    I saw this one coming. This morning the pages worked just fine, but I
    suspect that the overwhelming interest has crashed their servers. If you
    check out 10D forum on www.dpreview.com you can find the photos there.

    In terms of design, 20D looks to me like a step back, towards the boxy D60.
    10D has a smooth, curvy lines... Also, there's a mysterious "jog-dial" thing
    on the back of the camera (nobody knows for sure what it is) and one assist
    button less. The flash pops-up much higher, probably to accomodate the use
    of new ultra wide angle lenses.

    --
    ------------------------------

    Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK, Aug 18, 2004
  6. "Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK" <> wrote in message

    Just checked out Canon's index file... It still works! So, here's another
    link.

    http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/images/hiRes/?M=D

    You will have to browse through the list to find all of the images, but if
    you use ctrl+f function in IE it'll be easier. Just search for "20D" and
    "EF-S".

    --
    ------------------------------

    Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK, Aug 18, 2004
  7. Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <cfv8pv$hng$>,

    Chris Brown, Aug 18, 2004
  8. Richard Cockburn, Aug 18, 2004
  9. "Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@NoSpam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Didn't Canon used to number their cameras in such a way that the lower the
    > number, the better the camera? EOS1 being the best you can get and EOS

    3000
    > (was there a 5000?) being the lowest.
    >
    > Is this the same for digital cameras?
    >
    > If so, then this 20d would not be an upgrade to the 10d, but a lower

    model??

    There has been some discussions about this. I think that Canon dropped that
    system back when they introduced D60 - an evident upgrade from D30, yet it
    had a higher number.

    --
    ------------------------------

    Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK, Aug 18, 2004
  10. In article <cfvkd4$nnn$>, Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK
    <> writes
    >"Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Error- Page could not be found
    >>
    >> error code: 404
    >>
    >> The requested item does not exist on this server.
    >> The link you followed is either inaccurate or may have been deleted.
    >> Please recheck the URL or follow the link from the list below.
    >>
    >> Gary Eickmeier

    >I saw this one coming. This morning the pages worked just fine, but I
    >suspect that the overwhelming interest has crashed their servers. If you
    >check out 10D forum on www.dpreview.com you can find the photos there.
    >
    >In terms of design, 20D looks to me like a step back, towards the boxy D60.
    >10D has a smooth, curvy lines... Also, there's a mysterious "jog-dial" thing
    >on the back of the camera (nobody knows for sure what it is) and one assist
    >button less. The flash pops-up much higher, probably to accomodate the use
    >of new ultra wide angle lenses.

    Looks just like the 10D to me, apart from the higher-lifting flash
    (which they should have done on the 10D anyway).

    The "jog dial" is, I would think, the Quick Control dial, exactly as
    found on the 10D (and also on the EOS 1/1n/1v). It is used as a
    rapid-access dial for changing various parameters according to setting -
    aperture in M setting, compensation when the "+/-" button is pressed and
    so on. It is much easier to turn this dial when pressing a button than
    to turn the vertical one by the shutter button. It takes a little
    getting used to it, but users of earlier Canon pro models will have no
    problem.
    --
    David Littlewood

    David Littlewood, Aug 18, 2004
  11. Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Chris Brown wrote:

    > All in all, it looks like a sensible progression. Nothing that makes me want
    > to upgrade from my 10D though, so I'll keep the money. If it had a 1.3x
    > sensor and spot meterting, I might feel differently, but methinks I'm going
    > to sit this generation out.

    Yep.. It's costing a fortune to stay 'latest and greatest'. My 10D
    serves me well.

    I made a promise to myself that I'd wait until whatever replaced the 10D
    was in turn replaced.. So I'm going to wait for the 30D :)

    Jim Townsend, Aug 18, 2004
  12. Didn't Canon used to number their cameras in such a way that the lower the

    Gareth Tuckwell, Aug 18, 2004
  13. Chris Brown <_uce_please.com> wrote in

    > In article <jjIUc.39085$>,
    > Gary Eickmeier <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Error- Page could not be found
    >>
    >>error code: 404

    > Canon appear to have pulled the link. However, the images are still
    > floating around, and rest-assured, the page *was* there this morning.
    > This isn't a wind-up.

    I made some backups.

    http://www.picgoo.com/uploads7/20d_angle.jpg

    http://www.picgoo.com/uploads7/20d_headon.jpg

    http://www.picgoo.com/uploads7/20d_back.jpg

    --
    "We are twice armed if we fight with faith." (Plato)

    -Richard Cockburn

    Richard Cockburn, Aug 18, 2004
  14. Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK

    Chris Brown Guest

    Chris Brown, Aug 18, 2004
  15. Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <cfvj2q$n7m$>,
    Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK <> wrote:

    >Yep, same here. Waiting for PMA Last Vegas next year, and the EOS 3D.
    >Hopefully, Canon will respond to wishes of 10D owners for a 8 mpixel 1,3x
    >crop camera.

    The 3D is the mythical camera that Canon are sick of telling everyone that
    there's no demand for. They seem to think that we should all just cough up
    the (lots) of money for the 1DMkII.

    For my money, here's what I'd like to see in a 3D:

    - Same sensor as 1DMkII
    - Not fussy about autofocus, but a lot of people would probably want
    eye-control.
    - Spot metering
    - Similar physical size to 10D
    - Cost halfway between 20D and 1DMkII
    - Same framerate and buffering as the 20D

    I don't see why this isn't a practical camera - it's lower spec and smaller
    than the 1DMkII, while having the things that 10D owners wanting something a
    bit more capable have been lusting after, namely a larger sensor, better
    metering flexibility (spot metering!) and eye-controlled autofocus. They
    made the EOS 3 for the 35mm market, to sit between the EOS 30 and the EOS 1,
    so it's not clear why they're so insistent that the same market position
    doesn't exist for digital.

    Chris Brown, Aug 18, 2004
  16. "David Littlewood" <> wrote in message

    > The "jog dial" is, I would think, the Quick Control dial, exactly as
    > found on the 10D (and also on the EOS 1/1n/1v). It is used as a

    Come again? There's no jog dial on 10D. On that spot (on 10D) there's a "on
    / off" switch for locking the big round control dial at the back of the
    camera.

    --
    ------------------------------

    Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK, Aug 18, 2004
  17. Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK

    Netgeek Guest

    "Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK" <> wrote in message news:<cfv8pv$hng$>...
    > It will be named 20D after all.
    >
    > EOS-20D
    > 8.2 MegaPixels
    > DIGIC II
    > 1:1.6x Crop
    > 9 Point focusing
    > 1/8000s Max Shutter speed
    > 5fps Continuous speed
    > 25 frame buffer
    > EF-s support
    > E-TTL II support
    > 0.2sec shorter startup time than 10D
    > 50g lighter than 10D
    >
    > Two new lenses
    >
    > EF-S 10-22 mm f3.5 - 4.5
    > EF-S 17-85 IS f4-5.6
    >
    > http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/genhtml_photo/photokit_EOS20D.dcr.html

    Gone from Canon's site, but not forgotten:
    http://bobatkins.photo.net/photography/digital/rumors.html

    Netgeek, Aug 18, 2004
  18. "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote:

    > For my money, here's what I'd like to see in a 3D:
    >
    > - Same sensor as 1DMkII

    No sale. I want to see a new, 12 or 13 MP, full-frame sensor based on the
    1DMkII pixel, and two new cameras released with it: a 1DsMlI and a 3D, with
    the 3D being a cheapened (and lightened!) version of the 1DsMKII, just as
    the 300D is of the 10D.

    Canon needs a new full-frame sensor because the 1Ds sensor is quite a bit
    noisier than the 10D sensor, and a lot noisier than the 1DMkII sensor
    (especially at lower ISOs).

    > - Not fussy about autofocus, but a lot of people would probably want
    > eye-control.

    No thanks. I can't imagine it working through my glasses. One AF point is
    plenty. (Yes, I realize we'll be getting excessive bells and whistles in the
    AF department. I'd rather a custom screen service (mix and match grids and
    focus assist types to order) than bells-and-whistles AF. Sigh.)

    > - Spot metering

    A must.

    > - Similar physical size to 10D

    Yes. I'd prefer it at the 300D weight, but will put up with 10D or more
    weight as long as it's not the 1-series form factor; those things are
    grosser than most medium format cameras.

    > - Cost halfway between 20D and 1DMkII
    > - Same framerate and buffering as the 20D

    I personally don't need the frame rate (although my wife (who swims
    competitively) wants me to buy something that's near movie camera speed)
    but, grumble, faster startup than the 300D would be nice.

    > I don't see why this isn't a practical camera - it's lower spec and

    smaller
    > than the 1DMkII, while having the things that 10D owners wanting something

    > bit more capable have been lusting after, namely a larger sensor, better
    > metering flexibility (spot metering!) and eye-controlled autofocus. They
    > made the EOS 3 for the 35mm market, to sit between the EOS 30 and the EOS

    1,
    > so it's not clear why they're so insistent that the same market position
    > doesn't exist for digital.

    Agreed. The EOS 3's a lovely camera. Lower specs in all but sensor would
    make sense. The 1DMkII is a sports camera, and those guys really don't need
    more than 8MP. The 1DsMkII would be top of the line: both speedy and pixely.
    If you need speed but not pixels, 1DMkII, and if you want pixels but not
    speed, 3D. (I doubt they'd sell many 1DsMkIIs, though<g>.)

    Anyway, I want the full-frame 12 or 13MP sensor. 8MP isn't enough of an
    improvement over 6MP. I'd like my next digital to retire my 645 system, but
    8MP won't do it.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Aug 18, 2004
  19. Gary Eickmeier <> writes:

    >> http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/genhtml_photo/photokit_EOS20D.dcr.html

    > Error- Page could not be found
    > error code: 404
    > The requested item does not exist on this server.
    > The link you followed is either inaccurate or may have been deleted.
    > Please recheck the URL or follow the link from the list below.

    I blogged it ...
    http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/blog/index.php?m=20040818

    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 18, 2004
  20. Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <dLJUc.605$>,
    Gareth Tuckwell <ContactGT@NoSpam_hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Didn't Canon used to number their cameras in such a way that the lower the
    >number, the better the camera? EOS1 being the best you can get and EOS 3000
    >(was there a 5000?) being the lowest.

    Almost, but not quite. There were different lines, denoted by the first
    digit, and then larger numbers indicated relative position in that line,
    hence:

    EOS 1 > EOS 10 > EOS 100
    EOS 3 > EOS 30 > EOS 300 > EOS 3000
    EOS 5 > EOS 50 > EOS 500 > EOS 5000

    I think there was also an EOS 6 line, and there may have been an EOS 1000 as
    well. Most of these cameras are discontinued now, however, and the 3 line
    essentially replaced the 5 line, so the current film lineup basically
    consists of the EOS 1, EOS 3, EOS 30 and EOS 300 (maybe the EOS 3000?), with
    a few other derivatives hanging around.

    >Is this the same for digital cameras?

    They sort of broke it with digital SLRs. Discounting the Kodak
    collaborations, their first was the EOS D30, which was something of a hybrid
    between the EOS 30 and EOS 300, with the focus system apparently taken from
    their abortive APS camera, the EOS IX. The D60 was essentially just a D30
    with more pixels. The 10D is, in reality, a digital version of the EOS 30,
    but they'd already taken that number with the D30, so they stuck it in the
    "1" series. The discontinued EOS 10 occupied the same position in that
    series that the EOS 30 occupies in the "3" series.

    Even more confusingly, there is a discontinued film camera called an EOS
    10d, which is an EOS 10 that records the date on the film.

    In summary, there is a logical system to Canon's numbering system, but they
    keep not sticking to it, which confuses things. To confuse things further,
    they have an entirely different numbering scheme in the US. They still have
    the EOS 1 and 3, but the EOS 30 is the EOS Elan, as was the EOS 50 before
    it, and the EOS 300 is the EOS Rebel, as was the EOS 500 before it. Until
    the launch of the 300D, they had not used the US naming system at all with
    their digital line, but now they have a strange hybrid, where the 300D is
    the "Digital Rebel", but the 10D (and now 20D) are not the "Digital Elan".

    So for the digital lines (throwing the Kodak back into the mix)

    The EOS D2000 replaced by the EOS D6000, where the first digit denotes the
    number of megapixels. This line is now discontinued.

    EOS D30 replaced by the EOS D60, where the first digit denotes the number of
    megapixels. The D60 was then replaced by the 10D, which broke the previous
    digital naming convention, but looked like it more closely fitted into their
    film camera naming convention. The 10D has now been replaced by the 20D,
    however, which like the D30->D60 transition simply doubles the first digit,
    but no-longer correlates with the pixel count.

    Then there's the EOS 300D, or DIgital Rebel, or Digital Kiss, which
    correlates with their film naming system very nicely, at least in Europe and
    the US.

    Finally, we have the EOS1D, which was complimented by the EOS 1Ds and
    replaced by the EOS 1DMkII, a naming system which is in-line with always
    calling their film flagship the EOS 1(something).

    Confused yet?

    >If so, then this 20d would not be an upgrade to the 10d, but a lower model??

    Changing the first digit doesn't appear to have much significance, at least
    not in the digital line.

    Chris Brown, Aug 18, 2004