Canon 20D Firmware Upgrade V2.0.0

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Russell, May 13, 2005.

  1. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Russell, May 13, 2005

  2. On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:50:20 +0100, "Russell" <>
    wrote:

    >Has anyone upgraded from version 1.1.0 to 2.0.0? Any problems?
    >
    >Also , is it worthwhile unless you plan to use the wireless file transmitter
    >WFT-E1? Or are there 'hidden' improvements?

    Did the day after it was out. No problems. Why not keep current with
    your firmware?

    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel,
    read only a page."

    Saint Augustine (354 - 430)

    John A. Stovall, May 13, 2005

  3. Russell

    UrbanVoyeur Guest

    UrbanVoyeur, May 13, 2005
  4. Russell

    james Guest

    In article <>,
    UrbanVoyeur <> wrote:

    >No problems at all.

    "It works for me" is okay information, but the question is,
    are there any changes other than those specifically mentioned by Canon?

    james, May 13, 2005
  5. Russell

    james Guest

    In article <>,
    John A. Stovall <> wrote:

    >Did the day after it was out. No problems. Why not keep current with
    >your firmware?

    The doctrine of "if it works, don't fix it."

    And the question is not "does the update break anything?"
    The question is, are there any changes other than those listed in the
    release notes? Another question is, "are there any actual problems
    associated with using 1.1.0, and exactly what are those problems?"

    james, May 13, 2005
  6. On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:13:51 GMT, (james)
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >UrbanVoyeur <> wrote:
    >
    >>No problems at all.

    >"It works for me" is okay information, but the question is,
    >are there any changes other than those specifically mentioned by Canon?

    And if Canon doesn't document them just how are you going to find
    them?

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, May 14, 2005
  7. Russell

    TAFKAB Guest

    I had one problem, one that's been experienced by manu users who frequent
    the DP Review forums. I began the upgrade, and it froze at 94%. It stayed
    there until I pulled the battery, reinserted it, and started again. Then it
    completed normally and the camera works fine.

    TAFKAB, May 14, 2005
  8. Russell

    SamSez Guest

    "TAFKAB" <> wrote in message
    > I had one problem, one that's been experienced by manu users who frequent
    > the DP Review forums. I began the upgrade, and it froze at 94%. It stayed
    > there until I pulled the battery, reinserted it, and started again. Then it
    > completed normally and the camera works fine.
    >
    > "Russell" <> wrote in message
    > > Has anyone upgraded from version 1.1.0 to 2.0.0? Any problems?
    > >
    > > Also , is it worthwhile unless you plan to use the wireless file
    > > transmitter
    > > WFT-E1? Or are there 'hidden' improvements?
    > >
    > > http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_firmware-e.html

    I had the same freeze at 94%. Second time, it seems to have gone fine.

    I sure wish these guys would get their act together with firmware upgrades. My
    heart can't take too much of this crap....

    SamSez, May 14, 2005
  9. Russell

    james Guest

    In article <>,
    John A. Stovall <> wrote:

    >And if Canon doesn't document them just how are you going to find
    >them?

    Someone who knows will share what they know?

    I mean, there are people out there hacking Canon firmware,
    so why would it be far-fetched to know whether someone has
    the answer here?

    james, May 14, 2005
  10. On Sat, 14 May 2005 01:00:35 GMT, (james)
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >John A. Stovall <> wrote:
    >
    >>And if Canon doesn't document them just how are you going to find
    >>them?

    >Someone who knows will share what they know?
    >
    >I mean, there are people out there hacking Canon firmware,
    >so why would it be far-fetched to know whether someone has
    >the answer here?

    Nobody seems to be hacking the 20D firmware.

    "The past is foreign country: they do things differently there."

    _The Go-Between_
    L.P. Hartley
    1895 - 1972

    John A. Stovall, May 18, 2005
  11. In article <>, John A.
    Stovall <> wrote:

    > Nobody seems to be hacking the 20D firmware.

    What would be the need?

    Randall Ainsworth, May 19, 2005
  12. "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote:
    > John A. Stovall <> wrote:
    >
    > > Nobody seems to be hacking the 20D firmware.

    > What would be the need?

    Spot meter. (I'm sure the metering hardware has a center segment a lot
    smaller than the partial meter. Sigh. (And please, no stupid comments about
    how there's no need for a spot meter from people who don't even know how to
    use one.))

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, May 19, 2005