    I don't have this problem with my Nikon D100.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Jack, Apr 27, 2005

  2. Jack wrote:
    > Hi
    > Just bought a Canon 20d camera. It's a nice camera but I'm not happy with
    > the face colors. My pictures of (white) men all have pink lips. And the
    > faces are pale.
    > I don't have this problem with my Nikon D100.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    You can change them to green in Photoshop.

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Apr 27, 2005

  3. Jack

    HP Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Just bought a Canon 20d camera. It's a nice camera but I'm not happy with
    > the face colors. My pictures of (white) men all have pink lips. And the
    > faces are pale.
    > I don't have this problem with my Nikon D100.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    Pictures of white men.... pink lips! I think you want alt.sex.gay.pervert
    HP, Apr 27, 2005
  4. "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Just bought a Canon 20d camera. It's a nice camera but I'm not happy with
    > the face colors. My pictures of (white) men all have pink lips. And the
    > faces are pale.
    > I don't have this problem with my Nikon D100.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    My first reaction to this is always the same. How are you displaying
    the results? Are you looking at them on a computer screen, a print you made
    or a print commercially made?

    I suggest that your systems may be properly calibrated to your Nikon
    D100 but not to your new 20D. It may not be the camera, or it may be, but it
    also can be a simple calibration matter on your computer.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Apr 27, 2005
  5. Is there such a news-group?
    (snip)-still innocent

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Apr 27, 2005
  6. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Here's a link to show the sort of picture the 20D produces in full auto mode

    http://www.moled.cwc.net/Pics/IMG_2198-Sm.jpg

    Is this right?

    Thanks

    Jack, Apr 27, 2005
  7. Jack

    Jack Guest

    I got this result
    http://www.moled.cwc.net/Pics/IMG_2201-Sm.jpg

    in P mode with the color tone set to + max

    Jack, Apr 27, 2005
  8. Gary Eickmeier, Apr 27, 2005
  9. Jack wrote:
    > I got this result
    > http://www.moled.cwc.net/Pics/IMG_2201-Sm.jpg
    >
    > in P mode with the color tone set to + max

    They both look a little cool for my taste on my monitor. What kind of
    white balance are you using? It looks like it may be locked on daylight and
    the images look like they may be in the shade giving you the usual cool
    effect that in film photography you would use a skylight filter to correct.

    You could try using a gray card or changing the white balance setting.
    Does it do this on all images, or just the ones posted?

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Apr 27, 2005
  10. Jack

    Jack Guest

    I'm using a "spider" calibrated monitor and the white balance is auto WB.

    Jack, Apr 27, 2005
  11. Jack

    Confused Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:12:16 +0000 (UTC)
    In message <d4o33g$6ge$-infra.bt.com>
    "Jack" <> wrote:

    > > > My pictures of (white) men all have pink lips.
    > > > And the faces are pale.

    > Here's a link to show the sort of picture the 20D produces in full auto mode
    >
    > http://www.moled.cwc.net/Pics/IMG_2198-Sm.jpg
    >
    > Is this right?

    Fair skinned white boys with no tan *do* have
    pink lips and pale faces.

    <plonk>

    Jeff
    Confused, Apr 27, 2005
  12. Jack wrote:
    > I'm using a "spider" calibrated monitor and the white balance is auto
    > WB.

    Well I think I am seeing the same thing you are on my monitor as well,
    so I would tend to think it is likely the camera end. I would suggest
    tweaking the white balance. Try a few images in different light and include
    a gray card.

    I might also suggest trying a bracketing series to see what effect a
    change in exposure will do.

    Have you had this in a number of different images with different
    subjects and lighting?

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Apr 27, 2005
  13. I forgot to mention. It looks like the photo has been cropped. Could
    there have been parts of the image with say strong colors that may have
    caused the auto WB to fail?

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Apr 27, 2005
  14. Jack

    Dirty Harry Guest

    > Fair skinned white boys with no tan *do* have
    > pink lips and pale faces.
    >
    > <plonk>
    >
    > Jeff

    Agreeded lol, but yea, just warm up the tone using whiteblance. Try an expo
    disk or a pringles can lid if you want perfect WB.
    Dirty Harry, Apr 27, 2005
  15. Jack

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > I'm using a "spider" calibrated monitor and the white balance is auto WB.
    >

    > "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    >> Jack wrote:
    >> > I got this result
    >> > http://www.moled.cwc.net/Pics/IMG_2201-Sm.jpg
    >> >
    >> > in P mode with the color tone set to + max
    >> >

    >> They both look a little cool for my taste on my monitor. What kind
    >> of
    >> white balance are you using? It looks like it may be locked on daylight

    > and
    >> the images look like they may be in the shade giving you the usual cool
    >> effect that in film photography you would use a skylight filter to

    > correct.
    >>
    >> You could try using a gray card or changing the white balance
    >> setting.
    >> Does it do this on all images, or just the ones posted?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Joseph Meehan
    >>
    >> Dia duit

    I agree with Joe on the first image. It is a bit bluish (cool) to me. I have
    an LCD monitor.
    The second image looks better but not great. The lighting/exposure is lower.
    If there is a lot of warm tones in other parts of the image, it could cause
    a blue shift in the WB.

    John
    JohnR66, Apr 27, 2005
  16. Jack

    Mark² Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Just bought a Canon 20d camera. It's a nice camera but I'm not happy with
    > the face colors. My pictures of (white) men all have pink lips. And the
    > faces are pale.
    > I don't have this problem with my Nikon D100.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    Learn to meter...and white balance.
    Bing!
    Great skin tones.
    Mark², Apr 28, 2005
  17. Jack

    Mark² Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > Here's a link to show the sort of picture the 20D produces in full auto
    > mode
    >
    > http://www.moled.cwc.net/Pics/IMG_2198-Sm.jpg
    >
    > Is this right?
    >
    > Thanks

    That is simply an over-exposed shot.
    Mark², Apr 28, 2005
  18. Jack

    Lionel Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:12:16 +0000 (UTC), in
    <d4o33g$6ge$-infra.bt.com>, "Jack"
    <> said:

    >Here's a link to show the sort of picture the 20D produces in full auto mode
    >
    >http://www.moled.cwc.net/Pics/IMG_2198-Sm.jpg
    >
    >Is this right?

    Looks fairly normal to me, on my calibrated monitor. The boy's collar
    looks a touch bluish in the shadowed area, so the automatic white
    balance may have erred a little on the cool side, which might explain
    the paleness you mentioned. It's not a big error, but if you really want
    the WB to be perfect straight out of the camera, you should use a grey
    card to set the WB at the start of the shoot. Personally, I shoot photos
    like that in RAW, then set WB from something white in the shot, such as
    the boy's collar in your example.

    Lionel, Apr 28, 2005
  19. Jack

    Jack Guest

    This was shot on Full Auto mode, where zero adjustments are available on the
    20D.

    I have adjusted the "Color Tone" in the so called "Processing Parameters" to
    +1. (seems to take the edge of the red/pink face)
    This (interesting) control adjusts the skin tone, -2 more Red and +2 more
    Yellow.

    (Adjusting colors in the White balance is not a practical solution for me as
    I don't always have the time to WB in a fast working setup.)

    Thanks for all your help and suggestions as this encouraged me to experiment
    with the cameras different settings.

    Jack, Apr 28, 2005
  20. Jack

    Larry Guest

    In article <d4qav8$osq$>, says...
    > On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:12:16 +0000 (UTC), in
    > <d4o33g$6ge$-infra.bt.com>, "Jack"
    > <> said:
    >
    > >Here's a link to show the sort of picture the 20D produces in full auto mode
    > >
    > >http://www.moled.cwc.net/Pics/IMG_2198-Sm.jpg
    > >
    > >Is this right?

    > Looks fairly normal to me, on my calibrated monitor. The boy's collar
    > looks a touch bluish in the shadowed area, so the automatic white
    > balance may have erred a little on the cool side, which might explain
    > the paleness you mentioned. It's not a big error, but if you really want
    > the WB to be perfect straight out of the camera, you should use a grey
    > card to set the WB at the start of the shoot. Personally, I shoot photos
    > like that in RAW, then set WB from something white in the shot, such as
    > the boy's collar in your example.

    I agree.

    If this shot were just a TOUCH warmer it would look great to me.

    The face is not so much "pale" as "cold".

    A very small move toward warmer will make his face look healthier without any
    additional saturation.
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.