    f/5.6, 280mm. I was surprised that the image is quite usable. I was
    expecting more noise. I had an 8"x32" print made just to see what it
    looked like and it's not bad. Noise Ninja helped! :)
    Mardon, Oct 27, 2006

  2. "Mardon" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns9869AE837B1E6mgb72mgbhotmailcom@140.99.99.130...
    >I was experimenting at a hockey game this week with my 20D and high
    > ISO. This pano is 5 stitched images, all at ISO3200, 1/500 sec,
    > f/5.6, 280mm. I was surprised that the image is quite usable. I was
    > expecting more noise. I had an 8"x32" print made just to see what it
    > looked like and it's not bad. Noise Ninja helped! :)

    yep, that's canon. Very usable, still a lot of detail. And, sure, NN or neat
    image makes wonders

    --
    http://www.protoncek.com
    Protoncek \(ex. SleeperMan\), Oct 27, 2006

  3. Mardon

    Frank ess Guest

    Mardon wrote:
    > I was experimenting at a hockey game this week with my 20D and high
    > ISO. This pano is 5 stitched images, all at ISO3200, 1/500 sec,
    > f/5.6, 280mm. I was surprised that the image is quite usable. I was
    > expecting more noise. I had an 8"x32" print made just to see what it
    > looked like and it's not bad. Noise Ninja helped! :)

    The stitching is absolutely imperceptible !

    --
    Frank ess

    So is everything else ...
    Frank ess, Oct 27, 2006
  4. Mardon

    Leroy Guest

    A pano? I am impressed how you got them to stay still for so long! What's
    the secret?

    Leroy, Oct 27, 2006
  5. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "Leroy" <> wrote:

    > A pano? I am impressed how you got them to stay still for so
    > long! What's the secret?

    I did NOT use Panorama Factory. I have version 4 of that program and
    like it but I don't think it would handle all the movement between
    images very well. I just opened all 5 photos as individual layers in
    a single PS CS2 image. I manually moved the layers so that the
    static background elements were aligned on the overlapping layers. I
    then cut the layers down through the static areas between players.
    None of the join lines I created went through a player, so it didn't
    really matter if they moved or not. The joins are very crooked lines
    running though only the background area.
    Mardon, Oct 27, 2006
  6. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote:

    > The stitching is absolutely imperceptible !

    Thanks! I did the pano 'by hand' in Photoshop CS2 so that I could
    make all the joins in the background areas between the players. The
    players moved too much between shots to use standard pano software.
    Mardon, Oct 27, 2006
  7. Mardon

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Mardon <> writes:
    > I was experimenting at a hockey game this week with my 20D and high
    > ISO. This pano is 5 stitched images, all at ISO3200, 1/500 sec,
    > f/5.6, 280mm. I was surprised that the image is quite usable. I was
    > expecting more noise. I had an 8"x32" print made just to see what it
    > looked like and it's not bad. Noise Ninja helped! :)

    Um, where's the pic?
    Paul Rubin, Oct 27, 2006
  8. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "Protoncek \(ex. SleeperMan\)" <> wrote:

    > yep, that's canon. Very usable, still a lot of detail. And,
    > sure, NN or neat image makes wonders

    I hesitated to buy NN because CS2 has a built-in noise reduction
    filter. I thought NN or NI would be superfluous . I downloaded
    trial versions of both programs and was I ever wrong about not
    needing them. I wasn't long in buying a licensed copy of NN. I'll
    bet Adobe buys one of these companies soon.
    Mardon, Oct 27, 2006
  9. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    Mardon, Oct 27, 2006
  10. Mardon

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Paul Rubin, Oct 27, 2006
  11. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    Mardon, Oct 27, 2006
  12. Mardon

    [BnH] Guest

    I can't really say there is detail in your picture , but its really an
    impressive stitch giving the condition.

    Why don't you use ISO 1600 instead ? 1/500" only drop to 1/250" which is
    still fast enough to 'freeze' those players.

    [BnH], Oct 27, 2006
  13. Mardon

    Guest

    Mardon wrote:
    > Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    >
    > > Um, where's the pic?

    > My apologies!
    >
    > The 'Missing Link', so to speak:
    > http://www.JustPhotos.ca/galleries/panos/FogDevils20061025.htm

    Hmm... The balance between noise and detail is down to personal
    preference, of course, but if I were you, I'd accept a bit more noise
    in exchange for more detail. It looks like your noise reduction
    software really smudged the players' hair and faces...

    -Gniewko
    , Oct 27, 2006
  14. Mardon

    Pete D Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > Mardon wrote:
    >> I was experimenting at a hockey game this week with my 20D and high
    >> ISO. This pano is 5 stitched images, all at ISO3200, 1/500 sec,
    >> f/5.6, 280mm. I was surprised that the image is quite usable. I was
    >> expecting more noise. I had an 8"x32" print made just to see what it
    >> looked like and it's not bad. Noise Ninja helped! :)

    > The stitching is absolutely imperceptible !

    Except where it is atrocious, stills needs some work.
    Pete D, Oct 27, 2006
  15. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote:

    > I can't really say there is detail in your picture , but its
    > really an impressive stitch giving the condition.
    >
    > Why don't you use ISO 1600 instead ? 1/500" only drop to 1/250"
    > which is still fast enough to 'freeze' those players.

    I only used ISO3200 as an experiment. I've had the 20D for nearly a
    year but never use ISO3200 because I thought it would be garbage. I
    was just curious what a bench panorama would look like at such a high
    ISO. I agree there's not much detail in the image but I was still
    amazed that ISO3200 was even close to usable. My game shots are
    normally at ISO800. Sometimes I go to ISO1600 if I really want to
    try and stop some fast action or ice spray from the skates. ISO1600
    allows 1/800 sec at F/4. Here's an example of one of my ISO1600
    shots from that same game:
    http://www.JustPhotos.ca/galleries/sports/images/FD061025/021941.jpg

    Obviously, 1/250 sec isn't fast enough for a crisp freeze on action
    shots. It certainly would have been more than adequate for the bench
    shot, of course.
    Mardon, Oct 28, 2006
  16. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    wrote:

    > Hmm... The balance between noise and detail is down to personal
    > preference, of course, but if I were you, I'd accept a bit more
    > noise in exchange for more detail. It looks like your noise
    > reduction software really smudged the players' hair and faces...
    > -Gniewko

    I agree with you. I didn't spend too much time on this image because
    it was only an experiment. I'd use ISO800 for a 'real' bench shot
    like this and the facial detail would be much better because I would
    have needed very little noise reduction. I agree that the NR in this
    shot is over-done.
    Mardon, Oct 28, 2006
  17. "Mardon" <> wrote in message
    > "Protoncek \(ex. SleeperMan\)" <> wrote:
    >
    >> yep, that's canon. Very usable, still a lot of detail. And,
    >> sure, NN or neat image makes wonders

    > I hesitated to buy NN because CS2 has a built-in noise reduction
    > filter. I thought NN or NI would be superfluous . I downloaded
    > trial versions of both programs and was I ever wrong about not
    > needing them. I wasn't long in buying a licensed copy of NN. I'll
    > bet Adobe buys one of these companies soon.

    it would be nice, but my guess is that they will try to make similar plugin
    by themself. The question is however if this happens, how good it would be.
    The main point is, in my opinion, taking sample of noise from image itself,
    or using pre-made image profiles.

    --
    http://www.protoncek.com
    Protoncek \(ex. SleeperMan\), Oct 28, 2006