    will fit a Canon 20D? I've tried LenMar, and they don't look like they have
    one for the 20D.

    Jerry

    Jerry Shaw, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Jerry Shaw wrote:
    > I just got my Canon 20D. I'd like to use a hip-mounted 12V gel cell
    > battery
    > pack to power it, as it would run a much longer time with one of those
    > packs.
    >
    > Canon has a "DC Coupler DR-400" that looks like a simple hunk of plastic
    > the
    > shape and size of a BP-511A battery, with a power cord on the end. It
    > plugs
    > in in place of the BP-511A battery. And looking over the manual, it looks
    > like there is no other way to supply external power to the camera. In
    > fact,
    > the ACK-E2 AC Adapter Kit includes this coupler for powering the camera.
    >
    > Are there any other third-party sources of 12V DC to BP-511A adapters,
    > that
    > will fit a Canon 20D? I've tried LenMar, and they don't look like they
    > have
    > one for the 20D.
    >
    > Jerry

    How much do you need? With the battery grip, you can use two BP-511
    batteries and they will last a long time between charges.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 6, 2004

  3. Jerry Shaw

    PhotoMan Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:

    > How much do you need? With the battery grip, you can use two
    > BP-511 batteries and they will last a long time between charges.

    Canon also make the BP-514 battery, with a 1390 MAH capacity. Two of them
    should allow you to take from 1500 to 2000 shots, depending on use of the
    built in flash and LCD for previews. The BP-511 is rated at 1100 MAH.
    Joe Arnold

    PhotoMan, Nov 7, 2004
  4. Jerry Shaw

    Don Guest

    Joe

    Is there a way of actually calculating the extra use you would get with a
    BP514 as to the BP511 if you were using the same shot settings, light etc
    etc?

    regards

    Don

    Don, Nov 7, 2004
  5. Jerry Shaw

    PhotoMan Guest

    Don wrote:
    > Joe
    >
    > Is there a way of actually calculating the extra use you would get
    > with a BP514 as to the BP511 if you were using the same shot
    > settings, light etc etc?

    It's not as simple as figuring for example the electricity used by a 100
    watt light bulb for a specified period of time. Even when you leave all the
    settings unchanged (file size, jpeg compression, etc.) the photos will each
    have differences in them.Also, file write-time to the memory card varies
    with the speed ratings of various cards. I suppose if you just mounted the
    camera on a tripod and repeatedly shot the same scene until the battery(s)
    go dead the test would be valid, but that's not a real life scenario. I see
    some significant file size differences from shot to shot when there are
    lighter or darker areas in the scenes even though the f-stop and shutter
    speed are the same from shot to shot. I do know Canon have their standard
    test routines, but I don't know how they do it. I have a drebel with the
    BG-E1 Battery Grip, and the two BP-511's last for about 800 - 900 shots. If
    I use the 70-200L IS lens, that drops quite a bit because of the IS system
    motor. Temperature has a large effect also. Lotsa variables!
    Joe

    PhotoMan, Nov 7, 2004
  6. Don wrote:
    > Joe
    >
    > Is there a way of actually calculating the extra use you would get with a
    > BP514 as to the BP511 if you were using the same shot settings, light etc
    > etc?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Don
    > "PhotoMan" <> wrote in message
    >> Joseph Meehan wrote:
    >>
    >>> How much do you need? With the battery grip, you can use two
    >>> BP-511 batteries and they will last a long time between charges.

    >> Canon also make the BP-514 battery, with a 1390 MAH capacity. Two of them
    >> should allow you to take from 1500 to 2000 shots, depending on use of the
    >> built in flash and LCD for previews. The BP-511 is rated at 1100 MAH.
    >> Joe Arnold

    Only a rough guess of about 20 - 25%

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 7, 2004
  7. Jerry Shaw

    Ken Tough Guest

    Jerry Shaw <> wrote:

    >Are there any other third-party sources of 12V DC to BP-511A adapters, that
    >will fit a Canon 20D? I've tried LenMar, and they don't look like they have
    >one for the 20D.

    What sort of input jack does it need? Radio Shack does a nice
    DC-to-DC unit which can take any of the standard swappable jacks.
    It's generally possible to get barrel jacks that fit just about
    anything, including Sony. That adapter supplies enough current
    for laptops, about 70 W (around 4A) so give it a thought.

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Nov 7, 2004
  8. Jerry Shaw

    ZONED! Guest

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 22:04:34 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    <> wrote:

    snipped

    > How much do you need? With the battery grip, you can use two BP-511
    >batteries and they will last a long time between charges.
    >
    >--
    >Joseph E. Meehan
    >
    >26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Do you use the grip? I got one and had to sent it back immedietly, due
    to a supposed connecting screw length problem. The camera would not
    work at all with it. BTW... I have been wanting to ask....
    what is the meaning of your Sig?

    ZONED!, Nov 7, 2004
  9. ZONED! wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 22:04:34 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > snipped
    >>
    >> How much do you need? With the battery grip, you can use two BP-511
    >> batteries and they will last a long time between charges.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Joseph E. Meehan
    >>
    >> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    > Do you use the grip? I got one and had to sent it back immedietly, due
    > to a supposed connecting screw length problem. The camera would not
    > work at all with it. BTW... I have been wanting to ask....

    I have it and it works. Make sure you have the one for the 20D. A prior
    one for older Canons looks just like it, but it will not fit. I wonder if
    that could be the problem.

    > what is the meaning of your Sig?

    26 Counties of the Republic (The South) and 6 Counties of the North
    equal one whole country, people and island as it was before the English

    Dia 's Muire duit
    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 7, 2004
  10. Ken Tough wrote:
    > Jerry Shaw <> wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any other third-party sources of 12V DC to BP-511A adapters,
    >> that
    >> will fit a Canon 20D? I've tried LenMar, and they don't look like they
    >> have
    >> one for the 20D.

    > What sort of input jack does it need? Radio Shack does a nice
    > DC-to-DC unit which can take any of the standard swappable jacks.
    > It's generally possible to get barrel jacks that fit just about
    > anything, including Sony. That adapter supplies enough current
    > for laptops, about 70 W (around 4A) so give it a thought.

    I would also need to match the voltage.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 7, 2004
  11. Jerry Shaw

    ZONED! Guest

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 19:26:42 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    <> wrote:

    >ZONED! wrote:
    >> On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 22:04:34 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> snipped
    >>>
    >>> How much do you need? With the battery grip, you can use two BP-511
    >>> batteries and they will last a long time between charges.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Joseph E. Meehan
    >>>
    >>> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    >> Do you use the grip? I got one and had to sent it back immedietly, due
    >> to a supposed connecting screw length problem. The camera would not
    >> work at all with it. BTW... I have been wanting to ask....

    > I have it and it works. Make sure you have the one for the 20D. A prior
    >one for older Canons looks just like it, but it will not fit. I wonder if
    >that could be the problem.

    Nope, I am referring to the BG-E2

    >> what is the meaning of your Sig?

    > 26 Counties of the Republic (The South) and 6 Counties of the North
    >equal one whole country, people and island as it was before the English

    Ahh... ok thanks

    ZONED!, Nov 8, 2004
  12. Jerry Shaw

    Ken Tough Guest

    Joseph Meehan <> wrote:

    >Ken Tough wrote:
    >> What sort of input jack does it need? Radio Shack does a nice
    >> DC-to-DC unit which can take any of the standard swappable jacks.
    >> It's generally possible to get barrel jacks that fit just about
    >> anything, including Sony. That adapter supplies enough current
    >> for laptops, about 70 W (around 4A) so give it a thought.

    > I would also need to match the voltage.

    The output voltage is selectable via a dial from 12V to 27V in
    1V increments. Perhaps that's not low enough for you.

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Nov 8, 2004
  13. Ken Tough wrote:
    > Joseph Meehan <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ken Tough wrote:
    >>> What sort of input jack does it need? Radio Shack does a nice
    >>> DC-to-DC unit which can take any of the standard swappable jacks.
    >>> It's generally possible to get barrel jacks that fit just about
    >>> anything, including Sony. That adapter supplies enough current
    >>> for laptops, about 70 W (around 4A) so give it a thought.

    >> I would also need to match the voltage.

    > The output voltage is selectable via a dial from 12V to 27V in
    > 1V increments. Perhaps that's not low enough for you.

    As I recall the prescribed voltage is 7.X V.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 8, 2004
  14. Jerry Shaw

    Jerry Shaw Guest

    Ken,

    Ken Tough <> wrote:

    >Jerry Shaw <> wrote:
    >
    >>Are there any other third-party sources of 12V DC to BP-511A adapters, that
    >>will fit a Canon 20D? I've tried LenMar, and they don't look like they have
    >>one for the 20D.

    >What sort of input jack does it need? Radio Shack does a nice
    >DC-to-DC unit which can take any of the standard swappable jacks.
    >It's generally possible to get barrel jacks that fit just about
    >anything, including Sony. That adapter supplies enough current
    >for laptops, about 70 W (around 4A) so give it a thought.

    I haven't found the DC input jack yet. As I said,

    "Canon has a 'DC Coupler DR-400' that looks like a simple hunk of plastic the
    shape and size of a BP-511A battery, with a power cord on the end. It plugs in
    in place of the BP-511A battery. And looking over the manual, it looks like
    there is no other way to supply external power to the camera."

    >Ken Tough

    Maybe someone else with a 20D has found another way to connect up to DC.

    Jerry

    Jerry Shaw, Nov 8, 2004
  15. Jerry Shaw wrote:

    > I just got my Canon 20D. I'd like to use a hip-mounted 12V gel cell battery
    > pack to power it, as it would run a much longer time with one of those packs.

    It seems like you're looking for a solution that has't found a problem
    yet. Instead of getting 200-300 shots per 511 battery (~$20 each on
    ebay, 1 ounce each, 30 seconds to swap out), you'll be *tethered* to a
    very heavy battery. If you do adapt a gel-cell battery, you'll exceed
    any reasonable image storage solution too.....

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Nov 8, 2004
  16. Jerry Shaw

    Jerry Shaw Guest

    Dave,

    Dave Herzstein <> wrote:

    >Jerry Shaw wrote:
    >>
    >> I just got my Canon 20D. I'd like to use a hip-mounted 12V gel cell battery
    >> pack to power it, as it would run a much longer time with one of those packs.

    >It seems like you're looking for a solution that has't found a problem
    >yet.

    The problem's there, whether you can see it or not.

    >Instead of getting 200-300 shots per 511 battery (~$20 each on
    >ebay, 1 ounce each, 30 seconds to swap out),

    They say the 511A at about 1.4AH, is good for about 500 pictures or so. With
    the IS lens turned on and active that number is "less." The 511A is around $50
    or so each.

    The 12V gel cell is 7AH, or 5 times the 511A, probably even more if the drop
    from 12V to 7.4V is done with a switching power supply. Each battery is around
    $20 each,

    >you'll be *tethered* to a
    >very heavy battery.

    I've been to conventions where I carried a gel cell battery for a 12 hour day
    to power a video camera. There will be no problem carrying it.

    >If you do adapt a gel-cell battery, you'll exceed
    >any reasonable image storage solution too.....

    With my Sony 717, I did a two-day shoot. I used the autofocus all the time, as
    I was zooming a lot and the subjects were moving a lot (belly dancers). It was
    several seconds for each shot, with the autofocus hunting a lot. My record at
    that shoot was 1,900 shots in one day, in 8 hours. With the Canon, I expect to
    shoot may more, as I can focus manually. And, it has a much better rate, so I
    will be doing a lot of multi-shot shots, so I can get that one good shot of
    the dress and veils hanging in mid air.

    >-Dave

    So give me all the battery I can get. I will probably need all of it.

    Jerry

    Jerry Shaw, Nov 8, 2004
  17. Jerry Shaw

    C. Lamonaca Guest

    I've been using sealed lead acid batteries for several years now with no
    problems other than the battery shorting out once and setting fire to my
    bag.

    C. Lamonaca, Nov 9, 2004

  18. > So give me all the battery I can get. I will probably need all of it.

    Yes... You might have a working style that involves having the display on a
    lot, and you might be deleting the unwanted pictures as you go, thus using
    up batteries without filling up memory cards... So your request is
    legitimate.

    What is the voltage of the Canon internal battery? Presumably, the DX400,
    or what it's called, is just a cable that goes to the same battery contacts.
    We need to rig up a reasonably efficient power supply that goes from 12 V
    gel cells (or maybe 6 V) down to what you need.

    Can anyone tell us the rated output voltage and amperage of the Canon AC
    adapter for this camera?

    If so, I can design the rest. I may even build one for my Digital Rebel
    (which is due to arrive in the next few days).

    --
    Clear skies,

    Michael A. Covington
    www.covingtoninnovations.com/astromenu.html

    Michael A. Covington, Nov 9, 2004
  19. Jerry Shaw

    Big Bill Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:55:07 GMT, Jerry Shaw <>
    wrote:

    >>Instead of getting 200-300 shots per 511 battery (~$20 each on
    >>ebay, 1 ounce each, 30 seconds to swap out),

    >They say the 511A at about 1.4AH, is good for about 500 pictures or so. With
    >the IS lens turned on and active that number is "less." The 511A is around $50
    >or so each.

    If you buy Canon brand.
    You won't buy a Canon gell cell, will you? :)

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Nov 9, 2004
  20. Jerry Shaw

    Guest

    "Michael A. Covington" <>
    wrote:

    > What is the voltage of the Canon internal battery?

    The open-circuit voltage of a fully charged BP-511 is 8.3 volts.

    > Presumably, the DX400, or what it's called, is just a cable that
    > goes to the same battery contacts.

    That's exactly what it is. You can also buy a wall-wart for the
    thing. It's like way expensive for what one receives though.

    > We need to rig up a reasonably efficient power supply that goes from 12 V
    > gel cells (or maybe 6 V) down to what you need.

    There are 12V -> variable converters. You can even buy "bricks" which
    do as much from various places. A risk with this: the 10D and 20D
    have nice firmware features when a battery dies. If one was to feed a
    regulated 8V into the camera, it may effectively disable these
    features since the regulator may just drop out suddenly instead of
    gracefully sag. Any images in the pipeline when this happen may be
    lost.

    > Can anyone tell us the rated output voltage and amperage of the Canon AC
    > adapter for this camera?

    More useful information: what is the maximum current draw of a Canon
    10D/20D etc. I might wander over to a local store and buy one of
    these $35 ($50 in Canada) cables and measure it.

    Once this problem is solved though, we can move onto the next one:
    how not to spend half a kilobuck at Quantum Instruments for a
    glorified 12V->300V DC-DC converter. Mind you, a ~100W converter
    (maybe less, since the duty-cycle would be low), but a converter
    nonetheless.

    , Nov 9, 2004