    I never thought I'd put a "L" lens on my wishlist coz I thought those
    are only for pros who need all that sharpness and contrast.

    Phew!! Wow!! What a lens and what a camera!!

    Siddhartha Jain, Feb 4, 2005

  2. Siddhartha Jain

    Eric Gill Guest

    "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I can only say WOW!! Landed in Manila yesterday and went to this
    > Photoworld exhibition they have here. Canon's stall had the 1Ds Mark-II
    > on display. I asked the rep to show me the camera. He tried to get a
    > regular lens but found his colleague using it on the 1D. So he took out
    > the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 "L" IS lens from the showcase and put it on and
    > gave me the camera to play with :)

    Like a good drug dealer...

    > It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I was
    > expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped when I
    > saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!
    >
    > I never thought I'd put a "L" lens on my wishlist coz I thought those
    > are only for pros who need all that sharpness and contrast.

    Your first mistake. Your second one was dispelling that illusion by
    actually using one. Now you are on the Golden Treadmill of The Empty Bank
    Account. ;-}

    > Phew!! Wow!! What a lens and what a camera!!

    One obersvation - the Sigma version is easily the equal of the 70-200
    EXCEPT for lacking the IS. It's served me very well indeed.

    If you can live without the IS, you can pay roughly half as much for that
    eye-popping quality.

    Eric Gill, Feb 4, 2005

  3. Siddhartha Jain

    Skip M Guest

    "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    >I can only say WOW!! Landed in Manila yesterday and went to this
    > Photoworld exhibition they have here. Canon's stall had the 1Ds Mark-II
    > on display. I asked the rep to show me the camera. He tried to get a
    > regular lens but found his colleague using it on the 1D. So he took out
    > the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 "L" IS lens from the showcase and put it on and
    > gave me the camera to play with :)
    >
    > It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I was
    > expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped when I
    > saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!
    >
    > I never thought I'd put a "L" lens on my wishlist coz I thought those
    > are only for pros who need all that sharpness and contrast.
    >
    > Phew!! Wow!! What a lens and what a camera!!

    No, they're not just for pros who "need" the sharpness, contrast and speed
    of the "L" lenses, they're for anyone who WANTS those qualities! :)

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Feb 4, 2005
  4. Eric Gill wrote:

    > Like a good drug dealer...

    You bet!! If I could sell my car and other stuff online back in India
    and get the money then I would've done it in instant.

    > > It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I

    was
    > > expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped

    when I
    > > saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!
    > >
    > > I never thought I'd put a "L" lens on my wishlist coz I thought

    those
    > > are only for pros who need all that sharpness and contrast.

    > Your first mistake. Your second one was dispelling that illusion by
    > actually using one. Now you are on the Golden Treadmill of The Empty

    Bank
    > Account. ;-}

    Correction. Negative networth, not zero networth!!

    > > Phew!! Wow!! What a lens and what a camera!!

    > One obersvation - the Sigma version is easily the equal of the 70-200

    > EXCEPT for lacking the IS. It's served me very well indeed.

    Heh, after a 300D, the accessories, and two Sigma lenses (24-135mm and
    70-300mm), I am so broke that I can't even dream of a $800 lens!! :)

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Feb 4, 2005
  5. Siddhartha Jain

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I was
    > expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped when I
    > saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!

    You didn't notice what the ISO was, did you?

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Feb 4, 2005
  6. Skip M wrote:
    > No, they're not just for pros who "need" the sharpness, contrast and

    speed
    > of the "L" lenses, they're for anyone who WANTS those qualities! :)

    I was trying to shoot some lit-up ferries at night while they were in
    motion with kit lens and given the slow shutter speeds that you get in
    the night coupled with the fact that the ferries were in motion gave me
    blurred photos. Shutter speeds would come to 1/2 or 1/4 sec and so I
    thought even if I bought a gazillion dollar lens, it would still
    improve to 1/8sec maybe. But I guess I know the answer now :)

    Anyways, I'll take my kit lens to the same spot tomorrow and see what
    shutter speed does it throw up at f3.5. Ideally, half a stop difference
    should give me a shutter speed of somewhere around 1/400sec (the 70-200
    "L" gave me 1/500sec).

    Now now, I am in no way trying to compare them but just want to check.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Feb 4, 2005
  7. Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    > I can only say WOW!! Landed in Manila yesterday and went to this
    > Photoworld exhibition they have here. Canon's stall had the 1Ds

    Mark-II
    > on display. I asked the rep to show me the camera. He tried to get a
    > regular lens but found his colleague using it on the 1D. So he took

    out
    > the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 "L" IS lens from the showcase and put it on

    and
    > gave me the camera to play with :)

    Apart from the Canon, there were ofcourse Nikon and Minolta. The Canon
    and Minolta guys readily let me play with the cameras. Infact, the
    Canon guy had to do some legwork to get the 1Ds-mark-II out of the
    showcase. The Nikon guy discouraged me from asking him to take the
    camera out of the showcase (D70). First directed me to a colleague, who
    directed me back to this guy. Then just pointed at the D70 in the
    showcase when I asked him to bring it out. Only when I repeated that I
    want it my hands did she yield!! Sheesh!!

    Then went to the Sigma guy who announced that he was die-hard Sigma
    fan. His reasoning was my Sigma, for half the price of Canon, will last
    me four years. The Canon will last me eight years. After four years, I
    will have a new lens while the Canon guy will have a four year old lens
    :) Heheh ... interesting viewpoint.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Feb 4, 2005
  8. "Steve Wolfe" <> wrote in message
    >> It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I was
    >> expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped when I
    >> saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!

    > You didn't notice what the ISO was, did you?

    Why? Only a pro would do that!

    Dave R knows who, Feb 4, 2005
  9. Steve Wolfe wrote:
    > > It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I

    was
    > > expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped

    when I
    > > saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!

    > You didn't notice what the ISO was, did you?

    I did - it was ISO 100. I'll go over to Sigma's stall tomorrow and
    check their 70-200mm f2.8 EX IF HSM.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Feb 4, 2005
  10. Siddhartha Jain

    paul Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    >>>I never thought I'd put a "L" lens on my wishlist coz I thought

    >> those
    >>>are only for pros who need all that sharpness and contrast.

    > Heh, after a 300D, the accessories, and two Sigma lenses (24-135mm and
    > 70-300mm), I am so broke that I can't even dream of a $800 lens!! :)

    That's a steal, the comparable Nikon lens is $1,600

    paul, Feb 4, 2005
  11. Siddhartha Jain

    Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    > I never thought I'd put a "L" lens on my wishlist coz I thought those
    > are only for pros who need all that sharpness and contrast.

    The basic rule with any optics is simple: never look through it unless
    you can afford it.

    , Feb 4, 2005
  12. Siddhartha Jain

    Colic Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > The basic rule with any optics is simple: never look through it unless
    > you can afford it.

    ....because the more expensive it is the more likely you are to be blown away
    by its results.

    Colic, Feb 4, 2005
  13. Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    > Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    > the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 "L" IS lens

    > Then went to the Sigma guy who announced that he was die-hard Sigma
    > fan. His reasoning was my Sigma, for half the price of Canon, will last
    > me four years. The Canon will last me eight years. After four years, I
    > will have a new lens while the Canon guy will have a four year old lens
    > :) Heheh ... interesting viewpoint.

    I think you would find the 70-200mm F/2.8 L lens will last you a long
    time and it is not likely that a better lens will come out (yeah, one
    can never say never). But if you get such a top lens, when you
    have money to get another lens it can be something completely
    different. (I own both sigma, Canon regular, and Canon L lenses).
    I do not agree with the sigma guy replacing a lens every 4 years.
    If so, it is a crappy lens and shouldn't have been bought in the
    first place in my opinion (unless one is just starting out and
    you plan on such replacement because you can't afford the top
    right off--it's taking me 20+ years to build my system and I'm
    still working on it ;-)

    Roger
    http://www.clarkvision.com

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Feb 5, 2005
  14. Siddhartha Jain

    Mark² Guest

    >I can only say WOW!! Landed in Manila yesterday and went to this
    > Photoworld exhibition they have here. Canon's stall had the 1Ds Mark-II
    > on display. I asked the rep to show me the camera. He tried to get a
    > regular lens but found his colleague using it on the 1D. So he took out
    > the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 "L" IS lens from the showcase and put it on and
    > gave me the camera to play with :)
    >
    > It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I was
    > expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped when I
    > saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!
    >
    > I never thought I'd put a "L" lens on my wishlist coz I thought those
    > are only for pros who need all that sharpness and contrast.
    >
    > Phew!! Wow!! What a lens and what a camera!!

    The 70-200 2.8 IS is the best performing lens in my collection, and worth every penny of
    it's cost.
    Fantastic in EVERY respect.
    The L's really do perform incredibly well, and are sure to live well beyond lesser lenses.
    Save your pennies...you WON'T regret your purchase.
    -Mark

    Mark², Feb 5, 2005
  15. Siddhartha Jain

    Mark² Guest

    "Eric Gill" <> wrote in message
    > "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I can only say WOW!! Landed in Manila yesterday and went to this
    >> Photoworld exhibition they have here. Canon's stall had the 1Ds Mark-II
    >> on display. I asked the rep to show me the camera. He tried to get a
    >> regular lens but found his colleague using it on the 1D. So he took out
    >> the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 "L" IS lens from the showcase and put it on and
    >> gave me the camera to play with :)

    > Like a good drug dealer...
    >
    >> It was inside a mall in the night and the lighting was good but I was
    >> expecting a shutter speed of less than 1/100 sec. My jaw dropped when I
    >> saw the camera choose 1/500sec!!
    >>
    >> I never thought I'd put a "L" lens on my wishlist coz I thought those
    >> are only for pros who need all that sharpness and contrast.

    > Your first mistake. Your second one was dispelling that illusion by
    > actually using one. Now you are on the Golden Treadmill of The Empty Bank
    > Account. ;-}
    >
    >> Phew!! Wow!! What a lens and what a camera!!

    > One obersvation - the Sigma version is easily the equal of the 70-200
    > EXCEPT for lacking the IS. It's served me very well indeed.

    Hee hee hee.

    Mark², Feb 5, 2005
  16. Siddhartha Jain

    Mark² Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in message news:...

    >>> those
    >>>

    >> Heh, after a 300D, the accessories, and two Sigma lenses (24-135mm and
    >> 70-300mm), I am so broke that I can't even dream of a $800 lens!! :)

    > That's a steal, the comparable Nikon lens is $1,600

    I think she means "$800" for the SIGMA!

    -The Canon 70-200 2.8 IS is around $1600-$1700.
    :)

    Mark², Feb 5, 2005
  17. Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) wrote:
    > I think you would find the 70-200mm F/2.8 L lens will last you a long
    > time and it is not likely that a better lens will come out (yeah, one
    > can never say never). But if you get such a top lens, when you
    > have money to get another lens it can be something completely
    > different. (I own both sigma, Canon regular, and Canon L lenses).
    > I do not agree with the sigma guy replacing a lens every 4 years.
    > If so, it is a crappy lens and shouldn't have been bought in the
    > first place in my opinion (unless one is just starting out and
    > you plan on such replacement because you can't afford the top
    > right off--it's taking me 20+ years to build my system and I'm
    > still working on it ;-)

    I didn't really agree with his logic but was just kind of blogging from
    Photoworld, here.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Feb 5, 2005
  18. Siddhartha Jain

    Frank ess Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > "paul" <> wrote in message

    >>> Heh, after a 300D, the accessories, and two Sigma lenses (24-135mm
    >>> and 70-300mm), I am so broke that I can't even dream of a $800
    >>> lens!! :)

    >> That's a steal, the comparable Nikon lens is $1,600

    > I think she means "$800" for the SIGMA!
    >
    > -The Canon 70-200 2.8 IS is around $1600-$1700.
    > :)

    Amazon.com points at new and used $590-$500.

    Am I looking at the wrong lens?

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Feb 5, 2005
  19. Siddhartha Jain

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Frank ess <> wrote:
    >Mark² wrote:

    >>> That's a steal, the comparable Nikon lens is $1,600

    >> I think she means "$800" for the SIGMA!
    >>
    >> -The Canon 70-200 2.8 IS is around $1600-$1700.
    >> :)

    >Amazon.com points at new and used $590-$500.
    >
    >Am I looking at the wrong lens?

    That's the f4 lens you're looking at.

    This is the f2.8:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-1278197-0620661

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Feb 5, 2005
  20. Siddhartha Jain

    Frank ess Guest

    Ray Fischer wrote:
    > Frank ess <> wrote:
    >> Mark² wrote:

    >>> I think she means "$800" for the SIGMA!
    >>>
    >>> -The Canon 70-200 2.8 IS is around $1600-$1700.
    >>> :)

    >> Amazon.com points at new and used $590-$500.
    >>
    >> Am I looking at the wrong lens?

    > That's the f4 lens you're looking at.
    >
    > This is the f2.8:
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-1278197-0620661

    Ulp.

    Red-face smiley.

    --
    Frank ess
    "There are some aspects of existence that simply do not yield to

    Frank ess, Feb 5, 2005