Canon 1D MKII (8MP) vs. Sigma SD9 (10.2MP)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by George Preddy, May 7, 2004.

    1. Advertising

  1. Jukka-Pekka Suominen, May 7, 2004

  2. George Preddy

    Mark B. Guest

    Mark B., May 7, 2004
  3. Fedman Kassad, May 7, 2004
  4. George Preddy

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Fedman Kassad" <> stated that:

    >"George Preddy" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/28640713/original
    >> http://www.sigmaphoto.com/Images/sd9samples/IMG05380.jpg

    >...next time he'll try to compare a foveon picture ultra doctored for
    >marketing, with one from a better camera taken with the lens cap on...

    *laugh*

    He's already done things very much like that, such as comparing ISO 800
    Canon shots to SD9 100 ISO shots that have been cleaned up with
    NeatImage.

    Lionel, May 7, 2004
  5. George Preddy

    Mick Sterbs Guest

    Mick Sterbs, May 7, 2004
  6. Steven M. Scharf, May 7, 2004
  7. George Preddy

    George Kerby Guest

    George Kerby, May 7, 2004
  8. George Preddy

    Bryce Guest

    Bryce, May 7, 2004
  9. George Preddy

    Skip M Guest

    "Jukka-Pekka Suominen" <> wrote in message
    > George Preddy wrote:
    > > http://www.pbase.com/image/28640713/original
    > > http://www.sigmaphoto.com/Images/sd9samples/IMG05380.jpg

    > What's this supposed to prove? That the canon outperforms the sigma even
    > when the picture is not focused correctly?
    >
    > -JP

    I don't think it's out of focus, I think that's motion blur, check the
    highlights in her eye. They're elongated. She really needs to get her
    teeth cleaned, too. Tartar... ;-)

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, May 8, 2004
  10. (George Preddy) wrote in message news:<>...
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/28640713/original
    > http://www.sigmaphoto.com/Images/sd9samples/IMG05380.jpg

    Interesting that everyone who replied so far had no response for the
    flogging shown above. Sigma/Foveons absolutely kill blurry old Canon
    DSLRs.

    Old interpolated Bayer mosiac sensors are very fuzzy and blurry, they
    require 75% downsizing to a non-interpolated resolution to produce any
    sort of sharp image. The pics linked above tell the sotry better than
    words ever could.
    George Preddy, May 8, 2004
  11. Lionel <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > He's already done things very much like that, such as comparing ISO 800
    > Canon shots to SD9 100 ISO shots that have been cleaned up with
    > NeatImage.

    Ouu, I've never heard anyone say that Phil is lying to make the 10D
    look so hoorible next to the SD10. Clearly, the dated old Canon 10D
    has a lot more noise at ISO 100 than the Sigma SD10 has at ISO 800 in
    Phils samples...

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/page13.asp

    Even the extremely noisey, ISO 200 limited D70 beats the old 1990's
    fabrication 486 vintage CMOS in the Canon 10D...

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page14.asp

    Much better to buy a sleek high-tech Foveon chip (Foveon is owned by
    National Semiconductor), which is fabricated using Pentium4 level
    techology, but with a lot more transitors and raw computing power than
    a Pentium4.

    Canon CMOS <= '486
    Foveon CMOS >= Pentium4

    If that doesn't say it all, nothing does.
    George Preddy, May 8, 2004
  12. George Preddy

    Steve Moody Guest

    In article <>, George
    Preddy <> wrote:

    > Interesting that everyone who replied so far had no response for the
    > flogging shown above. Sigma/Foveons absolutely kill blurry old Canon
    > DSLRs.

    Here's your response:

    Put both cameras in the hand of the same photographer whi will take a
    picture of the same subject. A fair test. Or are you afraid of a fair
    test? If you won't do it, I will.
    Steve Moody, May 8, 2004
  13. George Preddy

    Mark M Guest

    > > He's already done things very much like that, such as comparing ISO 800
    > > Canon shots to SD9 100 ISO shots that have been cleaned up with
    > > NeatImage.

    > Ouu, I've never heard anyone say that Phil is lying to make the 10D
    > look so hoorible next to the SD10. Clearly, the dated old Canon 10D
    > has a lot more noise at ISO 100 than the Sigma SD10 has at ISO 800 in
    > Phils samples...
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/page13.asp
    >
    > Even the extremely noisey, ISO 200 limited D70 beats the old 1990's
    > fabrication 486 vintage CMOS in the Canon 10D...
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page14.asp
    >
    > Much better to buy a sleek high-tech Foveon chip (Foveon is owned by
    > National Semiconductor), which is fabricated using Pentium4 level
    > techology, but with a lot more transitors and raw computing power than
    > a Pentium4.
    >
    > Canon CMOS <= '486
    > Foveon CMOS >= Pentium4
    >
    > If that doesn't say it all, nothing does.

    Then clearly, nothing does.
    Mark M, May 8, 2004
  14. George Preddy

    Thad Guest

    Re: Canon 1D MKII (8MP) vs. Sigma SD9 (3.43MP)

    I just wanted to change the subject line in order to reflect the true
    resolution of both cameras.

    -Thad L.
    Thad, May 8, 2004
  15. "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > Interesting that everyone who replied so far had no response for the
    > flogging shown above. Sigma/Foveons absolutely kill blurry old Canon
    > DSLRs.

    What response to such a flawed comparison did you hope for?
    Do you think anyone takes you serious?

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, May 8, 2004
  16. George Preddy wrote:

    > Canon CMOS <= '486
    > Foveon CMOS >= Pentium4
    >
    > If that doesn't say it all, nothing does.

    You're so funny. Where can I get someone like you as my pet? That drivel
    up there says just about as close to nothing as you can get.

    -JP
    Jukka-Pekka Suominen, May 8, 2004
  17. Jukka-Pekka Suominen, May 8, 2004
  18. George Preddy

    Thad Guest

    Jukka-Pekka Suominen wrote:

    [SNIPPED]

    Hey man, are you the gentleman from the http://photography-on-the.net
    site? Your name sounds familiar.

    -Thad L.
    Thad, May 8, 2004
  19. "Jukka-Pekka Suominen" <> wrote in message
    > George Preddy wrote:
    >
    > > Canon CMOS <= '486
    > > Foveon CMOS >= Pentium4
    > >
    > > If that doesn't say it all, nothing does.

    > You're so funny. Where can I get someone like you as my pet? That drivel
    > up there says just about as close to nothing as you can get.

    Plus, it's not even true. I'm quite familiar with the fab being used for the
    Foveon sensor, and it does NOT use as advanced a process as Intel's process
    for the P4.

    Furthermore, there is a very good reason NOT to go to the smallest geometry
    possible. The smaller the geometry, the higher the leakage, and
    leakage=noise. This is the reason that the 8Mp Sony sensor is so noisy.
    Steven M. Scharf, May 9, 2004