Canon 1D Mark II Settings

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Brian Stirling, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. I just received my new Canon 1D Mark II and have had only a little
    time to play with it but I have noticed the standard RAW settings
    provide no sharpening and the images do look quite soft as a result.
    I have selected "Set 1" for my parameter with the sharpening set to 2,
    but would appreciate any advise on the best settings.

    I should point out that I have PS CS (upgraded from 7.01 last night)
    so I can alter the images as I wish. It was my understanding that if
    you shoot in RAW it does not matter what the setting for sharpening is
    -- is this true.

    Also, I just changed the "Color Matrix" from the default 1 (Standard)
    to 4 (Adobe RGB), but I don't know if this is the correct setting to
    use. It looks like the filenames have changed with the new settings
    with the filenames with the default settings appearing like
    "KS2I0018.CR2" whereas the filenames now look like "_S2I0140.CR2" with
    an underscore preceding the rest of the filename. Is this new
    filename scheme associated with the Adobe RGB setting for the color
    matrix?

    Perhaps someone might be so kind as to list the non-default settings
    they use on their 1D Mark II and why...

    I mostly do landscape work but will delve into wildlife in about 6
    weeks.

    Thanks,

    Brian
    Brian Stirling, Nov 5, 2004

  2. Brian Stirling

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: Brian Stirling

    >I just received my new Canon 1D Mark II and have had only a little
    >time to play with it but I have noticed the standard RAW settings
    >provide no sharpening and the images do look quite soft as a result.

    >I should point out that I have PS CS (upgraded from 7.01 last night)
    >so I can alter the images as I wish.

    Are you downsizing the images?
    If so, in your Photoshop CS preferences, make sure you have the Image
    Interpolation setting set to "Bicubic Sharper."
    If you are upsampling the images (not likely with the 1D MK II) then use
    "Bicubic Smoother."

    I had mine set on Bicubic Smoother by mistake, which was giving me soft images
    from my 20D. And I thought it was the camera. Duh.
    Annika1980, Nov 5, 2004

  3. Brian Stirling

    GT40 Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:06:51 -0700, Brian Stirling <>
    wrote:

    >I just received my new Canon 1D Mark II and have had only a little
    >time to play with it but I have noticed the standard RAW settings
    >provide no sharpening and the images do look quite soft as a result.
    >I have selected "Set 1" for my parameter with the sharpening set to 2,
    >but would appreciate any advise on the best settings.
    >
    >I should point out that I have PS CS (upgraded from 7.01 last night)
    >so I can alter the images as I wish. It was my understanding that if
    >you shoot in RAW it does not matter what the setting for sharpening is
    >-- is this true.

    If you shoot in RAW mode, then the sharpening etc doesn't get applied
    to the images. Nothing else gets applied either. Try using the RAW
    + JPEG, and look at the difference.
    GT40, Nov 5, 2004
  4. Brian Stirling

    andre Guest

    Brian Stirling wrote:
    > I just received my new Canon 1D Mark II and have had only a little
    > time to play with it but I have noticed the standard RAW settings
    > provide no sharpening and the images do look quite soft as a result.
    > I have selected "Set 1" for my parameter with the sharpening set to 2,
    > but would appreciate any advise on the best settings.

    No sharpening gets applied to raw shots. What you see is what comes out
    of the CCD after applying beyer interpolation (actually the raw does not
    even contain that but only a 12 bit brightness value for each pixel, the
    software does the interpolation).
    The idea is to give you all possibilities to use whatever sharpen tool /
    algorithm you want. If you want to learn more about the RAW workflow go
    to outbackphoto.com.

    > I should point out that I have PS CS (upgraded from 7.01 last night)
    > so I can alter the images as I wish. It was my understanding that if
    > you shoot in RAW it does not matter what the setting for sharpening is
    > -- is this true.

    Yes.

    > Also, I just changed the "Color Matrix" from the default 1 (Standard)
    > to 4 (Adobe RGB), but I don't know if this is the correct setting to
    > use. It looks like the filenames have changed with the new settings
    > with the filenames with the default settings appearing like
    > "KS2I0018.CR2" whereas the filenames now look like "_S2I0140.CR2" with
    > an underscore preceding the rest of the filename. Is this new
    > filename scheme associated with the Adobe RGB setting for the color
    > matrix?

    Adobe RGB is your choice for printing. Make sure you calibrate your
    screen (gamma) to match your printouts. This might take a few trials but
    is well worth it.

    > Perhaps someone might be so kind as to list the non-default settings
    > they use on their 1D Mark II and why...

    I wish I could. Can't afford this cam.

    Andre

    --
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.aguntherphotography.com
    andre, Nov 5, 2004
  5. Brian Stirling

    PhotoMan Guest

    Brian Stirling wrote:
    > I just received my new Canon 1D Mark II and have had only a little
    > time to play with it but I have noticed the standard RAW settings
    > provide no sharpening and the images do look quite soft as a result.
    > I have selected "Set 1" for my parameter with the sharpening set to 2,
    > but would appreciate any advise on the best settings.
    > I should point out that I have PS CS (upgraded from 7.01 last night)
    > so I can alter the images as I wish. It was my understanding that if
    > you shoot in RAW it does not matter what the setting for sharpening is
    > -- is this true.
    > Also, I just changed the "Color Matrix" from the default 1 (Standard)
    > to 4 (Adobe RGB), but I don't know if this is the correct setting to
    > use. It looks like the filenames have changed with the new settings
    > with the filenames with the default settings appearing like
    > "KS2I0018.CR2" whereas the filenames now look like "_S2I0140.CR2" with
    > an underscore preceding the rest of the filename. Is this new
    > filename scheme associated with the Adobe RGB setting for the color
    > matrix?
    > Perhaps someone might be so kind as to list the non-default settings
    > they use on their 1D Mark II and why...
    > I mostly do landscape work but will delve into wildlife in about 6

    Hi Brian -
    Canon recently made the following PDF file available:
    http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/EOS_Digital.pdf
    I printed it (35 pages), and it's by far the best written tutorial I've ever
    read about any camera system. If THIS doesn't help you, you'd better just
    get some colored pencils and a sketch book. :)
    Regards,
    Joe Arnold

    Let us know what you think of it.
    PhotoMan, Nov 5, 2004
  6. On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 04:00:00 GMT, andre <>
    wrote:

    >Brian Stirling wrote:
    >> I just received my new Canon 1D Mark II and have had only a little
    >> time to play with it but I have noticed the standard RAW settings
    >> provide no sharpening and the images do look quite soft as a result.
    >> I have selected "Set 1" for my parameter with the sharpening set to 2,
    >> but would appreciate any advise on the best settings.
    >>

    >No sharpening gets applied to raw shots. What you see is what comes out
    >of the CCD after applying beyer interpolation (actually the raw does not
    >even contain that but only a 12 bit brightness value for each pixel, the
    >software does the interpolation).
    >The idea is to give you all possibilities to use whatever sharpen tool /
    >algorithm you want. If you want to learn more about the RAW workflow go
    >to outbackphoto.com.

    This is what I thought but I just wanted to make sure. The images
    before sharpening are softer than the D100 I used before the 1D Mark
    II. Of course with the D100 there is no way to set sharpening off,
    but as I always shot in RAW in shouldn't make a difference what the
    setting is in the camera.

    >> I should point out that I have PS CS (upgraded from 7.01 last night)
    >> so I can alter the images as I wish. It was my understanding that if
    >> you shoot in RAW it does not matter what the setting for sharpening is
    >> -- is this true.

    >Yes.
    >>
    >> Also, I just changed the "Color Matrix" from the default 1 (Standard)
    >> to 4 (Adobe RGB), but I don't know if this is the correct setting to
    >> use. It looks like the filenames have changed with the new settings
    >> with the filenames with the default settings appearing like
    >> "KS2I0018.CR2" whereas the filenames now look like "_S2I0140.CR2" with
    >> an underscore preceding the rest of the filename. Is this new
    >> filename scheme associated with the Adobe RGB setting for the color
    >> matrix?
    >>

    >Adobe RGB is your choice for printing. Make sure you calibrate your
    >screen (gamma) to match your printouts. This might take a few trials but
    >is well worth it.

    I do need to do this (I have a Viewsonic VX2000 20" LCD display (1600
    x 1200 resolution). I wonder how best to do this without using the
    spider thing.

    Brian Stirling, Nov 5, 2004
  7. "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > Are you downsizing the images?
    > If so, in your Photoshop CS preferences, make sure you have
    > the Image Interpolation setting set to "Bicubic Sharper."
    > If you are upsampling the images (not likely with the 1D MK II)
    > then use "Bicubic Smoother."

    Although that is the Adobe recommendation, I don't agree.
    You can achieve much better results with other methods.

    See e.g. some down-sampling methods:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/main/foto/down_sample/example1.htm
    The "Bicubic Sharper" method look much worse than plain bicubic with
    USM. The results can even be improved by a slight preblur (to avoid
    aliasing artifacts), prior to down-sampling. Even though the example
    was based on a film scan, the same principle applies to digicams.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Nov 5, 2004
  8. Brian Stirling

    Guest

    Archived from Brian Stirling <> on Fri, 05 Nov 2004
    00:09:39 -0700:

    > Of course with the D100 there is no way to set sharpening off,
    >but as I always shot in RAW in shouldn't make a difference what the
    >setting is in the camera.

    Menu > Shooting Menu > Image Sharpening > none
    , Nov 5, 2004
  9. Brian Stirling

    GT40 Guest

    wrote:

    >Brian Stirling wrote:
    >> I just received my new Canon 1D Mark II and have had only a little
    >> time to play with it but I have noticed the standard RAW settings
    >> provide no sharpening and the images do look quite soft as a result.
    >> I have selected "Set 1" for my parameter with the sharpening set to 2,
    >> but would appreciate any advise on the best settings.
    >>

    >No sharpening gets applied to raw shots. What you see is what comes out
    >of the CCD after applying beyer interpolation (actually the raw does not
    >even contain that but only a 12 bit brightness value for each pixel, the
    >software does the interpolation).

    I think the 1DMark2 uses CMOS not CCD, but the concept is the same.
    GT40, Nov 5, 2004
  10. Brian Stirling

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Brian Stirling wrote:

    > I just received my new Canon 1D Mark II and have had only a little
    > time to play with it ...

    Many of your questions are answered well in this recent tech report from Canon
    titled "Getting the Most from Your EOS-1 Class Digital SLR" ...

    http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/EOS_Digital.pdf
    Bill Hilton, Nov 5, 2004
  11. Brian Stirling

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: "Bart van der Wolf"

    >You can achieve much better results with other methods.
    >
    >See e.g. some down-sampling methods:
    >http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/main/foto/down_sample/example1.htm
    >The "Bicubic Sharper" method look much worse than plain bicubic with
    >USM.

    Based on the example on your page, I disagree. So I guess we should agree that
    Sharpening is subjective.

    Btw, I remember seeing that page a year or two ago. Guess you've updated it
    since then to include the new CS methods.
    Annika1980, Nov 6, 2004
  12. On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:28:57 GMT, wrote:

    >Archived from Brian Stirling <> on Fri, 05 Nov 2004
    >00:09:39 -0700:
    >
    >> Of course with the D100 there is no way to set sharpening off,
    >>but as I always shot in RAW in shouldn't make a difference what the
    >>setting is in the camera.

    >Menu > Shooting Menu > Image Sharpening > none

    How did I miss that?

    Anyway, since I always shot in RAW I guess it was a moot point...

    Thanks,

    Brian
    Brian Stirling, Nov 6, 2004