    How much difference is there? Has anyone handled both versions of the lens?
    Does the USM version lack the looseness that is noticeable in the MM
    version?

    Michael A. Covington, Oct 26, 2004

  2. You might know who, Oct 26, 2004

  3. You might know who, Oct 26, 2004
  4. You might know who, Oct 26, 2004
  5. Yes, I know both exist. I am wondering how much better the mechanical
    quality is in the USM version. Has anyone handled both?

    Michael A. Covington, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Michael A. Covington

    David Hearn Guest

    As far as I know, they are identical except for the type of motor used.
    Full time manual isn't possible though with either lens.

    Also, as far as I know - Canon have stated, and have repeated this statement
    when they brought out the 20D - that the 18-55mm EF-S lens (whether MM or
    USM) will ONLY be available in a kit with a 300D or 20D. They are not being
    made available separately.

    Traditionally, in Japan they got a black 300D with USM 18-55mm EF-S lens.
    Now that Canon have brought out the black 300D/Digital Rebel in more
    countries now, they are still bundling the USM version of the lens.
    Therefore, the only 'official' way of getting a 18-55mm EF-S lens is in a
    kit. Don't know Adorama have one - unless its been split from the kit, or
    is 2nd hand.

    David

    David Hearn, Oct 26, 2004
  7. Michael A. Covington

    Skip M Guest

    The black version of the 18-55 that I have is not a USM, bundled with the
    20D.
    If, as you say, full time manual isn't possible with the USM version, then
    it's probably micromotor USM, similar to the MM version. The telling point
    is usually that the front element rotates on the micromotor versions, USM or
    otherwise, it remains stable on the Ultrasonic USM lenses.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Oct 26, 2004