Canon 17-85 problem with focal aperture (help!)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paolo P., Feb 13, 2006.

  1. Paolo P.

    Paolo P. Guest

    Hi,
    I've bought a Canon Rebel XT camera 2 weeks ago with a 17-85 f/4-5.6
    Canon zoom.
    The camera worked fine the first days, but now I cannot get the f/4
    focal aperture when I use the camera at 17 focal lenght. I've tried all
    the settings (of course, even the manual one) and I can only get f/5.6
    I can set the upper focal apertures and turn back to 5.6, but I cannot
    get 4.

    Canon support just told me to send the camera and the lens back to the
    factory, but I'd really like to know if this problem sounds familiar or
    if anyone could please tell me something more (is a camera problem? or
    lens?).
    It sounds incredible to me and I'm really disappointed, the phone
    support just told me to check the aperture focal lenght and clean the
    contacts of the zoom....

    thank you very much for any suggestion

    Paolo
    Paolo P., Feb 13, 2006

  2. Paolo P.

    Frank ess Guest

    Paolo P. wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I've bought a Canon Rebel XT camera 2 weeks ago with a 17-85 f/4-5.6
    > Canon zoom.
    > The camera worked fine the first days, but now I cannot get the f/4
    > focal aperture when I use the camera at 17 focal lenght. I've tried
    > all the settings (of course, even the manual one) and I can only get
    > f/5.6 I can set the upper focal apertures and turn back to 5.6, but
    > cannot get 4.
    >
    > Canon support just told me to send the camera and the lens back to
    > the
    > factory, but I'd really like to know if this problem sounds familiar
    > or if anyone could please tell me something more (is a camera
    > problem? or lens?).
    > It sounds incredible to me and I'm really disappointed, the phone
    > support just told me to check the aperture focal lenght and clean
    > the
    > contacts of the zoom....
    >
    > thank you very much for any suggestion

    If you can take both to a local camera store with the same items in
    stock, to try your camera with their lens and your lens with their
    camera, then you'll at least know where the problem lies. Maybe.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Feb 13, 2006