    wait just long enough until the 10D has been replaced (I keep hearing in
    camera stores that the 10D will be replaced soon) and then there would be
    little price difference.

    Ken, Jun 7, 2004

  2. "Ken" <> wrote in message
    news:r36xc.17016$...
    > What is the difference between these two cameras, other than about $400?
    >
    > I have enough money to purchase the Rebel at this time and am not sure if
    > waiting for 10D until I have more money would be worth it. Or maybe I

    might
    > wait just long enough until the 10D has been replaced (I keep hearing in
    > camera stores that the 10D will be replaced soon) and then there would be
    > little price difference.

    The 10D:

    has better build quality
    is larger and heavier
    has more flexibility as to user settings
    is a better camera for more serious work

    The 300D:

    is a better choice for less serious work and is easier to carry around

    check out the reviews at dpreview.com to help you decide

    Charles Schuler, Jun 7, 2004

  3. Ken

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Go to the 300D review at dPreview. There is a comparison table.
    Basically the 300D/Rebel has much less shooting control -- which may not
    matter to you.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 7, 2004
  4. Ken

    Jim Townsend Guest

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

    Jim Townsend, Jun 7, 2004
  5. Charles Schuler wrote:

    > "Ken" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>What is the difference between these two cameras, other than about $400?
    >>
    >>I have enough money to purchase the Rebel at this time and am not sure if
    >>waiting for 10D until I have more money would be worth it. Or maybe I

    > might
    >
    >>wait just long enough until the 10D has been replaced (I keep hearing in
    >>camera stores that the 10D will be replaced soon) and then there would be
    >>little price difference.

    > The 10D:
    >
    > has better build quality
    > is larger and heavier
    > has more flexibility as to user settings
    > is a better camera for more serious work
    >
    > The 300D:
    >
    > is a better choice for less serious work and is easier to carry around
    >
    > check out the reviews at dpreview.com to help you decide

    What he said, plus at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp
    you can do side by side comparisons of most cameras.

    I got the 300D, aka Digital Rebel, aka KISS in Japan, recently as I am
    going to wait for the next round of upgrades in features and pixels
    captured on their mid range DSLRs. With fingers X'd.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jun 8, 2004
  6. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I had seen the review, but wasn't sure what the "less shooting control"
    actually was, maybe because I am still learning with my Canon EOS Elan II
    (will the lenses for this camera fit the Digital Rebel?). It looked to me
    from the table in the review that in every box with a circle for 10D there
    was one for Rebel (except for one-shot, center weighted, and AI-servo in P,
    TV, AV, and M modes)

    Ken, Jun 8, 2004
  7. Lenses and Canon Digital Rebel

    Ken wrote:

    > I had seen the review, but wasn't sure what the "less shooting control"
    > actually was, maybe because I am still learning with my Canon EOS Elan II
    > (will the lenses for this camera fit the Digital Rebel?). It looked to me
    > from the table in the review that in every box with a circle for 10D there
    > was one for Rebel (except for one-shot, center weighted, and AI-servo in P,
    > TV, AV, and M modes)

    I have the same film camera, but it has a small capital E after II, fwiw.

    All your Elan lenses bayonet right onto the Digital Rebel and other
    somewhat pricer bretheren of it. There's a 1.6x multiplier in effect,
    all right for long lenses, but close ins at any angle becomes more
    difficult.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jun 8, 2004
  8. "John McWilliams" <> wrote:

    > I got the 300D, aka Digital Rebel, aka KISS in Japan,

    Why did you do that? (Buy in Japan, that is?)

    > recently as I am
    > going to wait for the next round of upgrades in features and pixels
    > captured on their mid range DSLRs. With fingers X'd.

    My theory on the 300D is that it'll still be useful as one's second body,
    take everywhere camera (with a fast prime or other compact lens) when the
    10D replacement (or "3D") appears.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jun 8, 2004
  9. Ken

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > I had seen the review, but wasn't sure what the "less shooting control"
    > actually was, maybe because I am still learning with my Canon EOS Elan II
    > (will the lenses for this camera fit the Digital Rebel?). It looked to me
    > from the table in the review that in every box with a circle for 10D there
    > was one for Rebel (except for one-shot, center weighted, and AI-servo in P,
    > TV, AV, and M modes)

    Yes. The DR uses EF and EF-S lenses (the only extant EF-S lens is the
    kit lens which you can buy -- only -- with the DR).

    The differences you IDd bug some folks. Another is lack of FEC and
    mirror lockup.

    I suspect your Elan II is more in the line of the 10D and the DR is more
    like a film Rebel.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 8, 2004
  10. Ken

    jriegle Guest

    The 10D has a sturdier build, bigger and faster buffer, faster framing rate
    and advanced features.
    Both share the same 6.3mp CMOS sensor and image processing logic although
    the Rebel's default image parameters are tuned different from that of the
    10D.

    I put my hands on the 10D and was put off by its size. I'm used to small
    manual 35mm SLRs and the 10D is a monster in comparison. The dRebel is
    bigger than my 35mm SLRs, but it is much smaller and lighter than the 10D. I
    did not care about the extra features of the 10D. As long as I can set the
    aperture manually and let the camera do the rest, I was happy. I'm not rough
    on my gear either.

    If I had gotten the 10D, I would have had purchase standard zoom to fit it.
    The lens in the Rebel kit is not all that bad. It is soft in the corners at
    18mm wide open (typical of most "normal" range zooms), but it is fine
    otherwise.The money saved allowed me to get 3 other Canon lenses including
    the 300mm f/4 L IS since I shoot wildlife.

    The price had dropped on the 10D since I got the Rebel last Fall, so it is
    worth a hard look.
    John

    jriegle, Jun 8, 2004
  11. Ken

    steve Guest

    Differences: Case, control layout, and latitude of settings (unless you
    use the hacked firmware)

    I bought a 10D, then the dig rebel came out. I have held both, and the
    dig rebel just doesn't have the same feel as the 10d. Would I have made
    the same decision AFTER the dig rebel came out? Not sure. The extra
    cash was significant at the time, but now that I have spend $4000 more
    on lenses for my kit, the extra 400 seems a small price to pay.....

    I love the 10D and I am still learning how to use all of its features.
    By the time I master it Canon will have squared the number of pixels,
    cut the noise by 4 and improved the auto-focus accuracy by 4 times. But,
    alas, the price will be 4 times what the 10d cost new :(

    And I will probably still buy it!

    Steve

    steve, Jun 8, 2004
  12. Ken

    S. Guest

    Damn, the marketing people of Canon love you.

    S.

    S., Jun 8, 2004
  13. Ken

    steve Guest

    Well, since I love their DSLRs I would like to extend them an invitation
    to send me a 1d MKII or 1Ds and I will promise to use the hell out of it.

    Steve

    PS I am greatly looking forward to DSLR pixel counts that are high
    enough to allow the lens itself to be used as the anti-aliasing filter.
    I think that is some time off for sure, but I can hardly wait.

    steve, Jun 8, 2004
  14. Ken

    Guest

    In message <>,
    steve <> wrote:

    >PS I am greatly looking forward to DSLR pixel counts that are high
    >enough to allow the lens itself to be used as the anti-aliasing filter.
    >I think that is some time off for sure, but I can hardly wait.

    The Canon 300mm f2.8L IS and 500mm f4L IS lenses would probably need
    well over 100MP in a full-frame sensor not to need an AA filter.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jun 8, 2004
  15. Ken

    steve Guest

    Perhaps I will need to wait longer :)

    (Or use crappy glass) just kidding!

    Steve

    steve, Jun 8, 2004
  16. David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > "John McWilliams" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I got the 300D, aka Digital Rebel, aka KISS in Japan,

    > Why did you do that? (Buy in Japan, that is?)
    >

    >>recently as I am
    >>going to wait for the next round of upgrades in features and pixels
    >>captured on their mid range DSLRs. With fingers X'd.

    > My theory on the 300D is that it'll still be useful as one's second body,
    > take everywhere camera (with a fast prime or other compact lens) when the
    > 10D replacement (or "3D") appears.

    That, too. I also have a G 3 that, when I get it back from repair, will
    be useful for a number of thing.
    One of them may go to son should he develop an interest.
    --
    John McWilliams

    John P McWilliams, Jun 8, 2004
  17. Ken

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 08:35:12 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
    <> wrote:

    >"John McWilliams" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I got the 300D, aka Digital Rebel, aka KISS in Japan,

    >Why did you do that? (Buy in Japan, that is?)

    "aka" means "also known as".

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Jun 8, 2004
  18. "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 08:35:12 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"John McWilliams" <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I got the 300D, aka Digital Rebel, aka KISS in Japan,

    > >Why did you do that? (Buy in Japan, that is?)

    > "aka" means "also known as".

    Aaaaaaaaaaaaarg. That's embarrassing...

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jun 8, 2004
  19. Ken

    just user Guest

    "Ken" <> wrote in message
    > What is the difference between these two cameras, other than about $400?

    Pentaprism vs. pentamirror

    just user, Jun 9, 2004
  20. "Ken" <> wrote in message news:<r36xc.17016$>...
    > What is the difference between these two cameras, other than about $400?
    >
    > I have enough money to purchase the Rebel at this time and am not sure if
    > waiting for 10D until I have more money would be worth it. Or maybe I might
    > wait just long enough until the 10D has been replaced (I keep hearing in
    > camera stores that the 10D will be replaced soon) and then there would be
    > little price difference.

    Hi Ken. You might want to consider the Sigma SD10 instead. This camera
    will give you better resolution than any of the Canon models...except
    *maybe* the 1Ds, but even that would be close.

    If you are trying to save a few dollars, you can pick up the SD9 real
    cheap now that the killer SD10 is selling like hotcakes (you may have
    some difficulty finding an SD10 in a store near you, unless you live
    in a very large metropolitan area), and the SD9 accepts the full line
    of Sigma SA mount fine lenses just like the SD10.

    Don't make the mistake of buying into a dead-end DSLR system. You will
    eventually regret it. Sigma is the way to go.

    Hope this helps.

    -Orville

    Orville Wright, Jun 9, 2004