Canon 10D power consumption

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by eawckyegcy@yahoo.com, Nov 12, 2004.

  1. Guest

    (Tried to post this yesterday. It's not in google, so once again...)

    Here are some current measurements of a Canon 10D. The power supply
    was a single, full-charge, 3rd party BP-511, 8.2V. Various
    operations:

    off 0mA (probably something in the microamp area)

    idle 98mA

    active 406mA (shutter half-press; exposuring ongoing)
    388mA (no shutter button contact)
    421mA IS only \
    672mA IS + AF > shutter half-pressed
    665mA AF only /

    AF measurements are "peak".

    imaging 1150mA (peak - _very_ brief)

    editing 250mA/315mA \ LCD bright
    233mA |
    214mA >
    195mA |
    186mA/250mA / LCD dim

    writing 150mA (with bursts of 220mA)

    bulb 345mA (holding the shutter open in 'bulb' exposure)

    The lens was an EF 500/4, but others (EF 20/2.8, EF 300/4) didn't
    change much. Note the relatively low impact of using IS, and the
    large impact of the AFing (the lens was racking from close to
    infinity). Also note the low image write current.

    Peak current of 1.15A was measured during a 9 "raw" frame pipeline
    fill/drain episode. This peak was unaffected by IS or AF, suggesting
    that it is still an underestimate (unlikely given the Fluke meter I
    was using), or that AF (the larger of the two) is briefly disabled
    during mirro flip, shutter open, etc. Note that the act of taking a
    picture should demand a fair amount of energy given how fast these
    moving parts are moving.
    , Nov 12, 2004

  2. Bill Hilton Guest

    >Here are some current measurements of a Canon 10D.

    > 421mA IS only \
    > 672mA IS + AF > shutter half-pressed
    > 665mA AF only /
    >
    >The lens was an EF 500/4 ... Note the relatively low impact of using IS,
    >and the large impact of the AFing

    Interesting (to me anyway, since I use a 500 f/4 with IS on almost all the
    time) that IS with a 500 mm lens only drains another 7 mA. I didn't *think* it
    was draining much current but now I know.

    Thanks for the post, good info.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Nov 12, 2004

  3. JohnR Guest

    Thanks for sharing that. I was considering testing my dRebel, but I'd bet
    the numbers would be about the same. It is good to hear the IS function is
    not using too much juice. I like using it on the 300 f/4 L IS.
    John

    JohnR, Nov 13, 2004
  4. Guest

    Kibo informs me that stated that:

    [detailed 10D power consumption data]

    Useful info! Thanks for taking the time to write it up. :)

    , Nov 13, 2004
  5. Mark² Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > (Tried to post this yesterday. It's not in google, so once again...)
    >
    > Here are some current measurements of a Canon 10D. The power supply
    > was a single, full-charge, 3rd party BP-511, 8.2V. Various
    > operations:

    Thank you for this.

    I have always noted the seemingly miniscule power requirements of IS, but
    I've never seen it actually quantified. Quite amazing, really.

    Great info.

    -Mark
    Mark², Nov 13, 2004
  6. MarkH Guest

    wrote in news:d3c57e81.0411121009.2130fad3
    @posting.google.com:

    > off 0mA (probably something in the microamp area)
    >
    > idle 98mA
    >
    > active 406mA (shutter half-press; exposuring ongoing)
    > 388mA (no shutter button contact)
    > 421mA IS only \
    > 672mA IS + AF > shutter half-pressed
    > 665mA AF only /
    >
    > AF measurements are "peak".
    >
    > imaging 1150mA (peak - _very_ brief)
    >
    > editing 250mA/315mA \ LCD bright
    > 233mA |
    > 214mA >
    > 195mA |
    > 186mA/250mA / LCD dim
    >
    > writing 150mA (with bursts of 220mA)
    >
    > bulb 345mA (holding the shutter open in 'bulb' exposure)
    >
    > The lens was an EF 500/4, but others (EF 20/2.8, EF 300/4) didn't
    > change much. Note the relatively low impact of using IS, and the
    > large impact of the AFing (the lens was racking from close to
    > infinity). Also note the low image write current.
    >
    > Peak current of 1.15A was measured during a 9 "raw" frame pipeline
    > fill/drain episode. This peak was unaffected by IS or AF, suggesting
    > that it is still an underestimate (unlikely given the Fluke meter I
    > was using), or that AF (the larger of the two) is briefly disabled
    > during mirro flip, shutter open, etc. Note that the act of taking a
    > picture should demand a fair amount of energy given how fast these
    > moving parts are moving.

    Interesting stuff, I find with my 10D + 28-135IS I can shoot all day (>8
    hours of camera on time, over 500 pics taken) on a couple of batteries in
    the grip. I have 2 more batteries in my pocket as a backup, but haven't
    yet needed to swap them on one days shooting.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
    MarkH, Nov 13, 2004