    The particular shot I had in mind was on a misty day and I cranked up
    the contrast in photoshop before the editing process began. Maybe that
    is the problem.
    n, Jan 16, 2004

  2. n

    PeterH Guest

    is it
    http://www.pcphotoreview.com/Noise,Reduction,Software/Neat Image,Noise,Red
    uction/PRD_145274_5647crx.aspx

    PeterH, Jan 16, 2004

  3. n

    Kenny Guest

    "n" <> wrote in message

    > I am finding, looking at my screen, that when I use nik sharpener to
    > improve my images, the noise is also sharpened! And that aint so good.
    > The particular shot I had in mind was on a misty day and I cranked up
    > the contrast in photoshop before the editing process began. Maybe that
    > is the problem.

    The10D has very low noise all the way to ISO 1600 so cleaning images for
    noise is not a general problem. Getting the shot settings right in the
    first place should be your priority as boosting contrast in a high ISO
    shot is bound to amplify any noise, and the greater the contrast gain,
    the worse it will be. Over-sharpening adds to the problem as well.

    If you have to clean an image, do it before you apply any other
    adjustments. Sharpening should be the last step and not over-done. I
    have printed ISO1600 shots at 12"x18" and you would be very hard pushed
    to see any noise.

    Kenny
    Kenny, Jan 16, 2004
  4. I use NeatImage, but like the other poster said, with a Canon 10D, you
    should not see a lot of noise.

    I also use NikSharpener, and there are two things you might want to consider
    when using it. First, I only use the lightest setting "Anna" and before
    sharpening I size and flatten the image, and then duplicate the layer,
    applying the sharpening to the duplicated top layer only. I then sometimes
    reduce the opacity of that layer to further mute the sharpening amount.
    Second, if there are certain areas that you would not want to sharpen at all
    (like continuous tone sky), add a layer mask to the sharpened layer, and
    mask out those areas.

    Good luck,

    Glenn

    Glenn de Souza, Jan 16, 2004
  5. n

    Kenny Guest

    "Glenn de Souza" <> wrote in message
    > I use NeatImage, but like the other poster said, with a Canon 10D, you
    > should not see a lot of noise.
    >
    > I also use NikSharpener, and there are two things you might want to

    consider
    > when using it. First, I only use the lightest setting "Anna" and

    before
    > sharpening I size and flatten the image, and then duplicate the layer,
    > applying the sharpening to the duplicated top layer only. I then

    sometimes
    > reduce the opacity of that layer to further mute the sharpening

    amount.
    > Second, if there are certain areas that you would not want to sharpen

    at all
    > (like continuous tone sky), add a layer mask to the sharpened layer,

    and
    > mask out those areas.

    Excellent advice Glenn. I wish software vendors would make the least
    agressive setting a default.

    Kenny
    Kenny, Jan 16, 2004
  6. "Glenn de Souza" <> wrote in message
    > I use NeatImage, but like the other poster said, with a Canon 10D, you
    > should not see a lot of noise.

    I also use NeatImage, but depending on the subject, even the 10D can use a
    little noise reduction (not only at higher ISO settings). It also helps in
    producing cleaner sharpening masks.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 16, 2004
  7. n

    Guest

    In message <4007e52b$0$9391$>,
    "Kenny" <> wrote:

    >If you have to clean an image, do it before you apply any other
    >adjustments. Sharpening should be the last step and not over-done. I
    >have printed ISO1600 shots at 12"x18" and you would be very hard pushed
    >to see any noise.

    Part of the reason that higher ISOs have a reputation for being noisy is
    not just the higher noise levels; a lot of it has to do with the quality
    of lighting that most high-ISO images are required. I've accidentally
    left my 10D set at ISO 1600 from the previous evening, and used it on
    sunlit subjects, and not even noticed that they were ISO 1600, until I
    saw the EXIF data.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Jan 20, 2004
  8. n

    n Guest

    "Glenn de Souza" <> wrote in message news:<C9SNb.11431$Xq2.8604@fed1read07>...
    > I use NeatImage, but like the other poster said, with a Canon 10D, you
    > should not see a lot of noise.
    >
    > I also use NikSharpener, and there are two things you might want to consider
    > when using it. First, I only use the lightest setting "Anna" and before
    > sharpening I size and flatten the image, and then duplicate the layer,
    > applying the sharpening to the duplicated top layer only. I then sometimes
    > reduce the opacity of that layer to further mute the sharpening amount.
    > Second, if there are certain areas that you would not want to sharpen at all
    > (like continuous tone sky), add a layer mask to the sharpened layer, and
    > mask out those areas.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Glenn

    Size? Flatten?
    It is a bit like drinking from a hose pipe here! I
    will have to get stuck into a good photoshop book so that i can
    benefit from the suggestions.

    I will check out neat image.

    Thanks.

    ps

    the one shot i had in mind when i originally posted was at dusk on a
    street with little lighting. I didnt use a flash. The histogram was
    way over to the left and to get anything visible at all i had to crank
    up contrast etc. If you have an idea how i could digitally process
    this shot again to try and get it to look good i would like to hear
    it. The subject was in brown.
    n, Jan 28, 2004