    18-125mm DC lens? From a technical standpoint, the specs read great but I am
    curious on its performance given the low price. Since the 10D cannot use the
    new Canon lenses, this zoom range would theoretically make a great addition.

    Hans Fischl, Sep 22, 2004

  2. In article <hBe4d.12079$>, Hans Fischl
    <> wrote:

    > Has anyone seen test reviews / user reports / or purchased the new Sigma
    > 18-125mm DC lens? From a technical standpoint, the specs read great but I am
    > curious on its performance given the low price. Since the 10D cannot use the
    > new Canon lenses, this zoom range would theoretically make a great addition.

    The name Sigma says it all.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 22, 2004

  3. Hans Fischl

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Go to dpreview and find the Canon SLR Lens forum there.

    Much discussion of the 18-125 lens, pro and con.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 22, 2004
  4. Hans Fischl

    Tony Guest

    You are always buying temporary with Sigma.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Sep 22, 2004
  5. Hans Fischl

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > In article <hBe4d.12079$>, Hans Fischl
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Has anyone seen test reviews / user reports / or purchased the new Sigma
    >>18-125mm DC lens? From a technical standpoint, the specs read great but I am
    >>curious on its performance given the low price. Since the 10D cannot use the
    >>new Canon lenses, this zoom range would theoretically make a great addition.

    > The name Sigma says it all.

    Too knee jerk. I've seen good Sigmas (e.g., 15 mm f/2.8 fisheye) and
    bad. And some like the 50-500 mm and 18-125 mm seem rather unique
    (can't buy a Canon lens with the same range).

    Personally, I do avoid Sigmas -- but do own the above fisheye and find
    it to be excellent. Of course, zoom lenses are another story.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 22, 2004
  6. Hans Fischl

    Todd H. Guest

    Randall Ainsworth <> writes:
    > In article <hBe4d.12079$>, Hans Fischl
    > <> wrote:
    > > Has anyone seen test reviews / user reports / or purchased the new Sigma
    > > 18-125mm DC lens? From a technical standpoint, the specs read great but I am
    > > curious on its performance given the low price. Since the 10D cannot use the
    > > new Canon lenses, this zoom range would theoretically make a great addition.

    > The name Sigma says it all.

    No, Randall buddy, I'm afraid it doesn't.

    But, I can appreciate that it's a very simple thing to say with brand
    name snobbery. However, the truth is always more complex and takes
    actual experience.

    Sigma has made some fabulous lenses that cost a hell of a lot less
    than their Canon counterparts and have optical performance that comes
    very close. It's true you may run a compatibility issue down the road
    whereby you have no guarantees from either company that Sigma EOS
    lenses of today will work with anything more than today's EOS cameras.
    It's also true that if you're a pro and make your living off your
    photographic work that it's probably worth keeping your life simple
    and spending the premium for Canon all the time if you're with the
    Canon system. For the weekend warrior or prosumer photographer
    though, the choice becomes an economic one trading price for perhaps
    some performance.

    So, the question remains "Anyone actually used the new Sigma 18-125mm
    DC lens?

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Sep 22, 2004
  7. Hans Fischl

    GT40 Guest

    On 22 Sep 2004 09:42:19 -0500, (Todd H.) wrote:

    >Randall Ainsworth <> writes:
    >> In article <hBe4d.12079$>, Hans Fischl
    >> <> wrote:
    >> > Has anyone seen test reviews / user reports / or purchased the new Sigma
    >> > 18-125mm DC lens? From a technical standpoint, the specs read great but I am
    >> > curious on its performance given the low price. Since the 10D cannot use the
    >> > new Canon lenses, this zoom range would theoretically make a great addition.

    >> The name Sigma says it all.

    >No, Randall buddy, I'm afraid it doesn't.
    >
    >But, I can appreciate that it's a very simple thing to say with brand
    >name snobbery. However, the truth is always more complex and takes
    >actual experience.

    It does, Sigma is probably the worst 3rd party lens company (of the
    main ones), Opticaly they are fine, its the connection between camera
    and lens that they don't get right. Tokina's are good. Personaly I
    had a 3rd party Tamron lens, and the AF was so slow...

    GT40, Sep 22, 2004
  8. Hans Fischl

    Tony Guest

    The truth is more complex but anyone can Google it. For a quick refresher
    Sigma build quality is less than ideal, the lenses do tend to fall apart
    Sigma compatibility is bad. They reverse engineer the mounts in order to
    save a few buck on license fees - consequently a Sigma that will work on a
    current model might not work on future models. Sigma claims they will
    re-chip lenses but they will fudge this too.
    A friend sent them a lens that took six months to re-chip and it came
    back ready to go on his Elan II but then would not work on my EOS 3 - a
    model that was on the market when the lens was sent in for re-chipping.
    Sigma would not re-chip it a second time.
    My own Sigma lens that was "Too old" to rechip - it was six years old. I
    was still using my 13 year old first Canon zoom on our fifth Canon body at
    the time so I have a different view of "old" than the slime buckets at
    Sigma.
    You are trading price for performance AND for permanence. Sigma is always
    a bad deal.

    Tony, Sep 22, 2004
  9. Hans Fischl

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Todd H. wrote:

    > So, the question remains "Anyone actually used the new Sigma 18-125mm
    > DC lens?

    There is a review (with the 10D) here

    http://fiedler.free.fr/review/

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 22, 2004
  10. Hans Fischl

    Crownfield Guest

    Phil Wheeler wrote:

    > Todd H. wrote:
    > >
    > > So, the question remains "Anyone actually used the new Sigma 18-125mm
    > > DC lens?
    > >

    > There is a review (with the 10D) here
    >
    > http://fiedler.free.fr/review/

    very interesting.

    looking at the sigma crops at 125 mm hurts my eyes.

    Crownfield, Sep 22, 2004
  11. Hans Fischl

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Crownfield wrote:
    > Phil Wheeler wrote:
    >
    >>Todd H. wrote:
    >>
    >>>So, the question remains "Anyone actually used the new Sigma 18-125mm
    >>>DC lens?
    >>>

    >>There is a review (with the 10D) here
    >>
    >>http://fiedler.free.fr/review/

    > very interesting.
    >
    > looking at the sigma crops at 125 mm hurts my eyes.

    That lens in not on my list to buy. Other posters reported some build
    problems as I recall.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 22, 2004
  12. Hans Fischl

    Skip M Guest

    "GT40" <> wrote in message
    > On 22 Sep 2004 09:42:19 -0500, (Todd H.) wrote:
    >
    > >Randall Ainsworth <> writes:

    Sigma

    but I am

    use the

    addition.

    > >> The name Sigma says it all.

    > >No, Randall buddy, I'm afraid it doesn't.
    > >
    > >But, I can appreciate that it's a very simple thing to say with brand
    > >name snobbery. However, the truth is always more complex and takes
    > >actual experience.

    > It does, Sigma is probably the worst 3rd party lens company (of the
    > main ones), Opticaly they are fine, its the connection between camera
    > and lens that they don't get right. Tokina's are good. Personaly I
    > had a 3rd party Tamron lens, and the AF was so slow...

    OTOH, the only lens I have that got an "ERR99" from my new 20D was my Tokina
    28-70 f2.6-2.8. My Sigma 15mm f2.8 EX fisheye and 17-35 f2.8-4 EX work just
    fine, as does the Tokina, now.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Sep 22, 2004
  13. Hans Fischl

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Skip M wrote:
    > My Sigma 15mm f2.8 EX fisheye and 17-35 f2.8-4 EX work just
    > fine, as does the Tokina, now.

    Glad to hear that: Awaiting my 20D (with 17-85IS) and have the fisheye.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 22, 2004
  14. Hans Fischl

    Hans Fischl Guest

    Thanks for all the comments. My questions have been answered. I guess I will
    wait until a quality zoom of that range shows up and in the meantime start
    saving for the 20D.

    Hans Fischl, Sep 23, 2004
  15. Hans Fischl

    Mustafa Krap Guest

    > Thanks for all the comments. My questions have been answered. I guess I

    will
    > wait until a quality zoom of that range shows up and in the meantime start
    > saving for the 20D.

    Before you decide not to get this lens based on opinions from people who
    have never owned or used this lens check some of the reviews on Dpreview. I
    have owned this lens since it was released and think it makes an excellent
    travel lens. There is nothing wrong with the build quality, although the AF
    speed isn't as fast as a USM lens. The optical quality is as good as any
    Canon consumer lens out there, from tests shots I've seen on Dpreview
    compared with the new Canon 17-85 , the Sigma is much better optically while
    the Canon has better build quality but is twice the price. I would suggest
    you try a few lenses in a store and then make your own mind up.

    Rob.

    Mustafa Krap, Sep 23, 2004
  16. Hans Fischl

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Mustafa Krap wrote:

    > "Hans Fischl" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Thanks for all the comments. My questions have been answered. I guess I

    > will
    >
    >>wait until a quality zoom of that range shows up and in the meantime start
    >>saving for the 20D.

    > Before you decide not to get this lens based on opinions from people who
    > have never owned or used this lens check some of the reviews on Dpreview.

    The dpreview Canon SLR Lens Forum is the first reference I gave him.
    But finding things there can be a bit off-putting for those who have not
    been there. Perhaps you could suggest a thread or two that are pertinent.

    > have owned this lens since it was released and think it makes an excellent
    > travel lens. There is nothing wrong with the build quality, although the AF
    > speed isn't as fast as a USM lens. The optical quality is as good as any
    > Canon consumer lens out there, from tests shots I've seen on Dpreview
    > compared with the new Canon 17-85 , the Sigma is much better optically

    My read at dpreview is that it is better at some focal lengths, but not
    all. I did study that lens at one time, read all the messages there a
    month or so ago -- and ordered the 20D 17-85IS kit based on that. I
    must admit that the IS was a major factor.

    > while
    > the Canon has better build quality but is twice the price. I would suggest
    > you try a few lenses in a store and then make your own mind up.

    An excellent suggestion. Unfortunately, I suspect that few local photo
    shops will carry the Sigma 18-125; likely will only be found at bigger
    ones (B&H in Manhattan, Samy's in Beverly Hills).

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 23, 2004
  17. In article <>, Todd H. <> wrote:

    > No, Randall buddy, I'm afraid it doesn't.
    >
    > But, I can appreciate that it's a very simple thing to say with brand
    > name snobbery. However, the truth is always more complex and takes
    > actual experience.

    I'm not a Canon snob. I'm anti-crappy hardware...and Sigma qualifies.

    > Sigma has made some fabulous lenses that cost a hell of a lot less
    > than their Canon counterparts and have optical performance that comes
    > very close. It's true you may run a compatibility issue down the road
    > whereby you have no guarantees from either company that Sigma EOS
    > lenses of today will work with anything more than today's EOS cameras.
    > It's also true that if you're a pro and make your living off your
    > photographic work that it's probably worth keeping your life simple
    > and spending the premium for Canon all the time if you're with the
    > Canon system. For the weekend warrior or prosumer photographer
    > though, the choice becomes an economic one trading price for perhaps
    > some performance.

    It's all made together to work together. Use crap if you like.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 23, 2004
  18. Hans Fischl

    Tony Guest

    And before you take the advice of someone who calls himself "Mustafa Crap"
    remember you are dealing with a troll who doesn't have the vaguest idea what
    he is talking about but would just like to see you waste your money.

    Tony, Sep 23, 2004
  19. Hans Fischl

    Mustafa Krap Guest

    "Phil Wheeler" <> wrote in message

    > Mustafa Krap wrote:
    >
    > > "Hans Fischl" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Thanks for all the comments. My questions have been answered. I guess I

    > > will
    > >
    > >>wait until a quality zoom of that range shows up and in the meantime

    start
    > >>saving for the 20D.

    > > Before you decide not to get this lens based on opinions from people who
    > > have never owned or used this lens check some of the reviews on

    Dpreview.

    > The dpreview Canon SLR Lens Forum is the first reference I gave him.
    > But finding things there can be a bit off-putting for those who have not
    > been there. Perhaps you could suggest a thread or two that are pertinent.

    Here are a couple, although a search will produce many more.

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=10394479

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=10196725

    > > have owned this lens since it was released and think it makes an

    excellent
    > > travel lens. There is nothing wrong with the build quality, although the

    AF
    > > speed isn't as fast as a USM lens. The optical quality is as good as any
    > > Canon consumer lens out there, from tests shots I've seen on Dpreview
    > > compared with the new Canon 17-85 , the Sigma is much better optically

    > My read at dpreview is that it is better at some focal lengths, but not
    > all. I did study that lens at one time, read all the messages there a
    > month or so ago -- and ordered the 20D 17-85IS kit based on that. I
    > must admit that the IS was a major factor.

    I totally agree, IS would definitely swing it for me as it's very hard to go
    back to a non IS lens once you become accustomed to IS lenses. I mainly
    bought the Sigma 18-125 as a cheap travel lens with good range for those
    times on vacation when I don't want to hump around a bag full of lenses. So
    far I am very happy with the quality even though it has some vignetting and
    distortion at wideangle, both of these are easily remedied using the free PS
    plugin PT lens.

    > > while
    > > the Canon has better build quality but is twice the price. I would

    suggest
    > > you try a few lenses in a store and then make your own mind up.
    > >

    > An excellent suggestion. Unfortunately, I suspect that few local photo
    > shops will carry the Sigma 18-125; likely will only be found at bigger
    > ones (B&H in Manhattan, Samy's in Beverly Hills).

    Very True I hadn't thought of that, guess he'll just have to take a leap of
    faith :0) Perhaps these shots found on Pbase will help him decide:

    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/18-125_35-56_dc_if_asp

    Rob.

    Mustafa Krap, Sep 23, 2004
  20. Hans Fischl

    Mustafa Krap Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > And before you take the advice of someone who calls himself "Mustafa Crap"
    > remember you are dealing with a troll who doesn't have the vaguest idea

    what
    > he is talking about but would just like to see you waste your money.

    That's rich coming from one of the groups biggest jerks. How am I a troll? I
    own a Digital Rebel and own the Sigma 18-125...do you?

    Here are some of my shots with the Sigma
    http://www.pbase.com/lovernios/sigma_18125 ... where are yours?

    As for seeing this guy waste his money, I couldn't really care less what
    lens he buys, it's his decision. In saying that however, if he makes his
    decision based on the mad rantings of a plonker who had one problem with a
    Sigma lens 6 years ago and can't seem to get over it, then he is a fool ( no
    offense intended ).

    Don't bother replying to this message, as far as I am concerned you're in
    the same league as George Preddy and as such will be consigned to the kill
    file.

    Rob.

    Mustafa Krap, Sep 23, 2004