    something I might have overlooked?

    TIA
    Bernd

    Bernd, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Bernd

    dslr Guest

    Bernd wrote:

    > Shoot!
    >
    > That was a nightmare LOL... was around a low light environment (a sparely
    > lit stage) and my 10D was refusing to focus - both with a Sigma EX 17-35 and
    > Tamron XR DI 28-75 lens. Had my 420EX flash mounted, so the built-in flash
    > did not care to come out and assist (as it does on my EOS33). Is there
    > something I might have overlooked?

    Doesn't the 420EX do AF assist, then?

    --
    regards,
    dslr

    dslr, Nov 17, 2003

  3. Bernd

    Mark C Guest

    At times, I have found it necessary to switch to manual focus in low light
    situations even when I am using my canon 550 speed light.

    mark c
    nashville, tn

    Mark C, Nov 17, 2003
  4. dslr <> schreef op Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:43:37
    +0000 (UTC):

    > Bernd wrote:
    >>
    >> Shoot!
    >>
    >> That was a nightmare LOL... was around a low light environment (a
    >> sparely
    >> lit stage) and my 10D was refusing to focus - both with a Sigma EX
    >> 17-35 and
    >> Tamron XR DI 28-75 lens. Had my 420EX flash mounted, so the built-in
    >> flash
    >> did not care to come out and assist (as it does on my EOS33). Is there
    >> something I might have overlooked?

    > Doesn't the 420EX do AF assist, then?

    if the 420EX didn't assist, check the custom settings (no 5)of de 10D. It
    is possible to disable the focus assist

    groeten,

    Marco

    marco van den broek, Nov 17, 2003
  5. Bernd

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Bernd wrote:

    > Shoot!
    >
    > That was a nightmare LOL... was around a low light environment (a sparely
    > lit stage) and my 10D was refusing to focus - both with a Sigma EX 17-35 and
    > Tamron XR DI 28-75 lens. Had my 420EX flash mounted, so the built-in flash
    > did not care to come out and assist (as it does on my EOS33). Is there
    > something I might have overlooked?

    I've got to ask about the focus lamp too..

    I can focus on a featureless white wall in a poorly lit room from 30 feet
    away.. (I actually tried this). The 420EX has a very bright red focus assist
    light.

    Can you see yours illuminating ?

    Jim Townsend, Nov 17, 2003
  6. Bernd

    Mark M Guest

    "Bernd" <> wrote in message
    > Shoot!
    >
    > That was a nightmare LOL... was around a low light environment (a sparely
    > lit stage) and my 10D was refusing to focus - both with a Sigma EX 17-35

    and
    > Tamron XR DI 28-75 lens. Had my 420EX flash mounted, so the built-in flash
    > did not care to come out and assist (as it does on my EOS33). Is there
    > something I might have overlooked?

    My 10D actually aoutperforms my EOS 3 film body when it comes to AF in low
    light!
    Now THAT's good.

    Your 420 EX should be projecting a red pattern for your camera to focus
    on...but you've got to have the thing turned on... :)
    If you had the 550EX, you could tell it to ONLY use the focus assist with no
    actual flash...

    Mark M, Nov 18, 2003
  7. Bernd

    Obake Guest

    In article <bpb7hm$daq$>, "Bernd"
    <> wrote:
    >Shoot!
    >
    >That was a nightmare LOL... was around a low light environment (a sparely
    >lit stage) and my 10D was refusing to focus - both with a Sigma EX 17-35 and
    >Tamron XR DI 28-75 lens. Had my 420EX flash mounted, so the built-in flash
    >did not care to come out and assist (as it does on my EOS33). Is there
    >something I might have overlooked?

    with the 550ex and 10D it is possible to turn off the focus assist lamp using
    custom functions (CF5). and the focus lamp will not illuminate if in AI Servo
    focus mode or while using the top or bottom focus points (in landscape, if in
    portrait it will be the left and right focus points).

    Obake, Nov 18, 2003