    --
    michael
    Custom Photo Restoration http://www.infocusdesign.com

    Michael, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Michael

    Mark B. Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns944ABCA66F9D6michaelinfocusdesign@24.25.9.41...
    > I went to two different camera stores this weekend and had two salespeople
    > tell me that Canon has discontinued the 10D. Does anyone heard this?
    > Thanks!

    Not true, they're either completely clueless or trying to sell you something
    in stock. Many stores simply can't keep it in stock. I had to wait 2 weeks
    for mine. Shop elsewhere.

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 7, 2003

  3. Michael

    Phil Guest

    Likely they had no stock and wanted to sell you something different.

    They have announced no replacement (have they?) and supply has not kept
    up with demand

    Phil

    Phil, Dec 7, 2003
  4. In article <Xns944ABCA66F9D6michaelinfocusdesign@24.25.9.41>,
    Michael says...

    > I went to two different camera stores this
    > weekend and had two salespeople tell me that
    > Canon has discontinued the 10D. Does anyone heard this?

    Asked Canon Professional Service during their roadshow
    two weeks ago about their pipeline, and they said that
    they are carrying on the 10D at least throughout summer
    2004, presumably longer. It's simply selling too good.

    And since competition is next to nil, why not wait
    with the next whack against the competitor's noses?

    You bet that as soon as Nikon tries to stumble back up
    on their feet, Canon will announce the next big thing.
    But not before. Nikon had to retreat to announcing
    vaporware (D70) in order not to lose too much turnover
    during the xmas season to Canon.

    And you can be sure that while they are scrambling to
    keep up, their development will not be as thorough as
    it could be with a nice headstart and good conditions
    on the market. Canon can take all their time now to
    refine the next model. As soon as Nikon seems to be
    close to shipping a new model, Canon will announce
    theirs - and ship in large quantities exactly at the
    announced date. If I was working for Nikon development,
    I would be next to suicide now.

    --
    Michael Quack <>

    http://www.photoquack.de/glamour/1.htm
    http://www.photoquack.de/fashion/1.htm

    Michael Quack, Dec 8, 2003
  5. While it is likely true that sometime in the next six months there may be a
    replacement for the 10D, I find it difficult to believe that the unit would
    be "discontinued" so close to Christmas. This rumour his been circulating
    for several months and my take is that inventories are very low on the 10D
    because production and distribution have been geared to the 300D for the
    Xmas season.

    gilbert grape, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Canon has had only short production run of the D30, D60 so why not the 10D
    as well. I expect perhaps Canon will launch a new DSLR at the PMA show in
    march 2004.

    Darrell Larose, Dec 8, 2003
  7. Michael Quack <> wrote in

    > You bet that as soon as Nikon tries to stumble back up
    > on their feet, Canon will announce the next big thing.
    > But not before. Nikon had to retreat to announcing
    > vaporware (D70) in order not to lose too much turnover
    > during the xmas season to Canon.

    Nice summary Michael but I am going to be interested in the
    functionality of the D70...in a panic Nikon may just give the engine 80
    or 90% of the features of the D100 just to stave off the 300D and try
    and recoup some of the low end DLSR market. Now if they can do this
    using the whatever 70 body my wife hated and sold a couple of months
    after getting it is an issue, aside from the vapourware it now is, but
    if they do it could cause some confusion both in their line and for
    Canon's low end.

    Mike Latondresse, Dec 8, 2003
  8. Michael

    Charlie Self Guest

    Gilbert Grape notes:

    >While it is likely true that sometime in the next six months there may be a
    >replacement for the 10D, I find it difficult to believe that the unit would
    >be "discontinued" so close to Christmas. This rumour his been circulating
    >for several months and my take is that inventories are very low on the 10D
    >because production and distribution have been geared to the 300D for the
    >Xmas season.

    Too, the sales types who provide these BS answers are simply trying to shift
    prospective buyers over to a camera they have in stock, on hand, ready to ring
    up.

    Charlie Self

    "I have one yardstick by which I test every major problem-and that yardstick
    is: Is it good for America?" Dwight D. Eisenhower

    Charlie Self, Dec 8, 2003
  9. Michael

    Christian Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > I went to two different camera stores this weekend and had two salespeople
    > tell me that Canon has discontinued the 10D. Does anyone heard this?

    Yes, I've heard it before. Several times, both personally and from others.
    But it's completely untrue.

    Christian, Dec 8, 2003
  10. Michael

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Darrell Larose wrote:

    > Canon has had only short production run of the D30, D60 so why not the 10D
    > as well. I expect perhaps Canon will launch a new DSLR at the PMA show in
    > march 2004.

    I think you can BET on a 10D replacement in March :)

    Gotta keep introducing new models.. Keeps the interest and profits up.

    Thing is.. Why would they discontinue it without announcing a replacment.
    Especially when it's still in demand. It doesn't make sense..

    Jim Townsend, Dec 8, 2003
  11. Michael

    Gavin Cato Guest

    "Michael Quack" <> wrote in message

    > Asked Canon Professional Service during their roadshow
    > two weeks ago about their pipeline, and they said that
    > they are carrying on the 10D at least throughout summer
    > 2004, presumably longer. It's simply selling too good.
    >
    > And since competition is next to nil, why not wait
    > with the next whack against the competitor's noses?

    Competition Nil is it? It took Canon 2 attempts to compete with the D100 and
    the D100 is still a damn good match for the 10D.

    Honestly you canon fans are so full of it.

    I know what the D70 is going to be and it's not just a 300D competitor, nor
    is it a D100 replacement, but it'll be streets ahead of 300d.

    Gav

    Gavin Cato, Dec 8, 2003
  12. Michael

    Mark M Guest

    "Gavin Cato" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael Quack" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Asked Canon Professional Service during their roadshow
    > > two weeks ago about their pipeline, and they said that
    > > they are carrying on the 10D at least throughout summer
    > > 2004, presumably longer. It's simply selling too good.
    > >
    > > And since competition is next to nil, why not wait
    > > with the next whack against the competitor's noses?

    > Competition Nil is it? It took Canon 2 attempts to compete with the D100

    and
    > the D100 is still a damn good match for the 10D.
    >
    > Honestly you canon fans are so full of it.
    >
    > I know what the D70 is going to be and it's not just a 300D competitor,

    nor
    > is it a D100 replacement, but it'll be streets ahead of 300d.

    It darn well better be "streets agead"...seeing as it's release will be more
    than half a year AFTER the 300D!!
    Truth is, while Canon was playing catch-up with Nikon a few years ago , the
    roles have clearly reversed in the digital arena, and lens advancements as
    well. Nikon makes excellent, pro-calibre gear...but it had better ramp up
    the pace of development AND ACTUAL RELEASE if it hopes to keep pace. Right
    now, it's bottom-line delivery of goods seems to be working in slow-motion.

    Mark M, Dec 8, 2003
  13. "Michael Quack" <> opened his mouth and the following
    toys fell out...

    > If I was working for Nikon development,
    > I would be next to suicide now.

    What drivel. Too bad you AREN'T working for Nikon development.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Dec 8, 2003
  14. "Howard McCollister" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael Quack" <> opened his mouth and the following
    > toys fell out...
    >
    > > If I was working for Nikon development,
    > > I would be next to suicide now.

    > What drivel. Too bad you AREN'T working for Nikon development.

    No, no. It's "thank god you aren't working for Nikon development". I like
    the spot meter and the on-demand grid and real wide angle lenses. Good show,
    Nikon! (Although I expect the spot meter won't make it into the D70. Sigh.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Dec 8, 2003
  15. Michael

    > Guest

    The reason is simple. There simply isn't enough sensors at the Canon factory
    to make 10D's and 300D's.

    Canon are prioritising the 300D's over the 10D's since they are selling more
    of them.

    --
    Tony

    ISH

    Remove the fish to reply
    --= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

    >, Dec 8, 2003
  16. Michael

    Mon11 Guest

    I have no idea what's true or not, but just to add my 2 cents of
    gossip...

    A friend of mine was in Nashville this weekend and visited a camera
    shop there. My friend was talking to the salesman about lenses to go
    with his 10d (so yes, the salesman was aware that my friend was not in
    the market to buy one). The salesman said Canon just stopped
    production of the 10d and that they are going to make an updated 10d.
    His words, not mine.

    mon11

    Mon11, Dec 8, 2003
  17. Michael

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Canon still has the 10D shown in the current model lineup on their website..
    It isn't in the archived list yet:

    See here: http://www.canoneos.com/

    A senior rep from Canon USA recently made this statement on another forum:

    --------------------
    The EOS 10D remains current in our line-up. It is in no danger of being
    discontinued at the present time. It will definitely remain current through
    the rest of this year and well into 2004. I can't be more precise than that,
    and I will have no further comment on this issue.
    --------------------

    See here: http://tinyurl.com/y8dw

    There definitely has been a shortage of 10D's since the release of the Digital
    Rebel. As someone else mentioned in this thread.. Canon has most likely
    committed most of their resources to the Rebel.

    Jim Townsend, Dec 8, 2003
  18. Michael

    Mike Guest

    "Christian" <> wrote in message
    > Michael wrote:
    >
    > > I went to two different camera stores this weekend and had two

    salespeople
    > > tell me that Canon has discontinued the 10D. Does anyone heard this?

    > Yes, I've heard it before. Several times, both personally and from

    others.
    > But it's completely untrue.

    Question for life long canon users.
    The 30D and 60D where discontinued when the 10D came on line it seems that
    the 300D has not made the 10D redundant because they are aimed at different
    markets but production has temporarily switched to the 300d to get the
    Christmas market (well I would do that if I was marketing boss,because the
    enthusiast will not necessarily purchase over Xmas because he or she will
    wait until the Xmas price effect has gone). One has to ask the question :-
    If Canon cameras have such a short production life because of their rapid
    development policy, I assume to out-do Nikon. Will they make spare parts and
    service the new breed of digital cameras for the next 15 to 20 years or do
    you throw the present day cameras in the trash can in a few years time?

    I have a Nikon F60 a good first camera bought circa 1997 but was an
    experiment on the part of Nikon(which the paying public did the field
    trials). It cost £600 for body and 28/80 lens + £240 for Sigma 70/300
    macro(largish amount then). It is probably worth about £150 now complete. I
    think we have reached the point of disposable cameras. But disposable only
    if viewed in the life of past Nikon/Canon film cameras life expectancy.
    Which are, as far as Nikon are concerned, still viable for spares and
    servicing.

    Is it realistic to expect this kind of backup in this day and age, where
    computers are out of date as soon as you have bought them. I personally
    think there will be a plateau on chip resolution and it will cease to be a
    issue when the CCD or equivalent surpasses film resolution and colour
    rendition, in the prosumer cameras.
    Then the field will be clear for producing added value this will depend on
    software and firmware, which will be and should have been as important as
    hardware enhancements.

    For example the Fuji s2 pro a very good camera as far as image quality is
    concerned but Fuji who produced this camera spoilt it, for the cost of a
    half pennies worth of tar, by not including in the package a good raw file
    processing program.and single battery system. This lack of foresight has
    cost them dearly because if the Fuji was in a body the same size as the
    Nikon 100 it would still be the camera to go for over and above the Nikon
    100 and the Canon 10D. All Fuji has to do is bring out the S3 with all the
    good points of the S2 a single battery and decent software and they will
    have a winner. But I don't think they will because they have not seen fit to
    provide the complete raw file converter for the British market and seem to
    only interested in the placating the US customers. Having said all this the
    lenses for Nikon and Canon are still and I hope viable for a few years yet.

    Seasons greeting May your God go with you and that he or she talks sense to
    the other lesser Gods.
    MikeS

    Mike, Dec 8, 2003
  19. Michael

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "> \(\(\(\(º <\(\(\(\(º>" <>

    >Canon are prioritising the 300D's over the 10D's since they are selling more
    >of them.

    Since apparently they are selling all they can make of both models one would
    think they'd prioritize for the $1,500 model instead of the $900 model ...

    Bill Hilton, Dec 8, 2003
  20. Michael

    Charlie Self Guest

    Bill Hillton notes:

    >>Canon are prioritising the 300D's over the 10D's since they are selling more
    >>of them.

    >Since apparently they are selling all they can make of both models one would
    >think they'd prioritize for the $1,500 model instead of the $900 model ...

    I don't know which, if either, they are prioritizing, but my guess is that if
    it is necessary to do one, they're doing the one with the highest profit
    margin.

    Charlie Self

    "In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains."
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

    Charlie Self, Dec 8, 2003