Canon 10D connecting to pc

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim Townsend, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. Jim Townsend

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Ty Corcoran wrote:

    > Mine won't re installed software but no luck. The "noise" of a
    > connecting usb is heard both when the camera is turned on and off whilst
    > connected, but the software just won't find the camera.
    >
    > Tried the "install new hardware", does not want to play either.
    >
    > Stuck... Any ideas?

    If you're trying to use Canon's software, go in the camera menu
    and make sure the 'Communication' option is set to 'Normal'.

    (You won't have this option with an early 10D that hasn't
    had a firmware upgrade).

    I assume you're using XP.. In that case, you do have the
    option of selecting 'PTP' option in 'Communications of
    the camera.

    This will let you use the Camera Wizard after connecting the
    camera. Using the camera wizard will allow you to acess the
    memory card contents using an explorer window..

    Ty Corcoran, Feb 3, 2005

  3. In article <KlqMd.187$>, Ty Corcoran
    <> wrote:

    > Mine won't re installed software but no luck. The "noise" of a
    > connecting usb is heard both when the camera is turned on and off whilst
    > connected, but the software just won't find the camera.
    >
    > Tried the "install new hardware", does not want to play either.
    >
    > Stuck... Any ideas?

    Ever heard of a stick reader?
    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 3, 2005
  4. Jim Townsend

    Ken Davey Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <KlqMd.187$>, Ty Corcoran
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mine won't re installed software but no luck. The "noise" of a
    >> connecting usb is heard both when the camera is turned on and off
    >> whilst connected, but the software just won't find the camera.
    >>
    >> Tried the "install new hardware", does not want to play either.
    >>
    >> Stuck... Any ideas?

    > Ever heard of a stick reader?

    Try going to 'my computer' and looking for the camera there. It should show
    up as a separate drive and then you can download the files to any folder of
    your choosing. Alternately, get a card reader. Much faster and easier.

    Ken.

    --
    http://www.rupert.net/~solar
    Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
    Ken Davey, Feb 3, 2005
  5. Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > In article <KlqMd.187$>, Ty Corcoran
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Mine won't re installed software but no luck. The "noise" of a
    > > connecting usb is heard both when the camera is turned on and off whilst
    > > connected, but the software just won't find the camera.
    > >
    > > Tried the "install new hardware", does not want to play either.
    > >
    > > Stuck... Any ideas?

    > Ever heard of a stick reader?

    You can't change the "Owner" in the camera with a "stick reader", nor
    can you operate the camera remotely.

    -Dave
    Dave Herzstein, Feb 3, 2005
  6. In article <>, Dave Herzstein
    <> wrote:

    > Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > >
    > > In article <KlqMd.187$>, Ty Corcoran
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Mine won't re installed software but no luck. The "noise" of a
    > > > connecting usb is heard both when the camera is turned on and off whilst
    > > > connected, but the software just won't find the camera.
    > > >
    > > > Tried the "install new hardware", does not want to play either.
    > > >
    > > > Stuck... Any ideas?

    > > Ever heard of a stick reader?

    > You can't change the "Owner" in the camera with a "stick reader", nor
    > can you operate the camera remotely.

    And what kind of dork connects their camera (especially a nice,
    expensive one like the 10D) directly to the computer?
    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 4, 2005
  7. Jim Townsend

    Ty Corcoran Guest

    One that gets a 10D given to them to check out who until the arrival of
    such had absolutely no interest in such new fangled things due to the
    fact that laying next to them was their guide dog.

    Unlike you the advice given by others was helpful and polite. and I
    thank them again for it.

    Ty

    Ty Corcoran, Feb 4, 2005
  8. Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > And what kind of dork connects their camera (especially a nice,
    > expensive one like the 10D) directly to the computer?

    I have a 20D and I connect it directly to my G-5 when I have just a few
    pix I want to process, so I am that kind of dork.

    For the love of Mike, Randall, think before you type, and proofread: Use
    proper grammar; it'd be *his* camera, not their.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Feb 4, 2005

  9. > And what kind of dork connects their camera (especially a nice,
    > expensive one like the 10D) directly to the computer?

    I must work with a bunch of dorks then. At studio I work at we shoot
    tethered to laptops all the time. We have 4 different studio rooms and at
    end of day we attach the laptops to network. First thing in morning all
    images from laptops are downloaded onto the server for processing and
    printing. There are many times and reasons it is better to have cameras
    connected to computers. We have gotten 20D and for things like school day
    pics on location we can shoot hundreds of students and not worry about
    storage problems of CF cards. We shoot using the direct capture software but
    process images and students data in program called DRUMS. It holds all
    students info and camera cards are printed with bar code we scan prior to
    shooting that individual to make sure proper pic is with correct student. We
    also shoot action photos of the schools sports for use in there yearbooks.
    Those types of pic we do on CF cards and download to our server upon
    returning to the office. So as you can see there are times and reasons to do
    things differently. Just because you are a dork and close minded to all
    possibilities of shooting situations don't knock it till you try it.
    EagleEyePhotography, Feb 5, 2005