    discharged, will it develop the memory effect reducing the effective
    use time?

    Marc.

    Marc P., Jul 23, 2003

  2. Marc P.

    Derek Guest

    Lithium Ion batteries (as the 10D has) do not suffer from that problem

    Derek, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Marc P.

    gr Guest

    "Marc P." <> wrote

    > Just wondering if the battery in the 10D has the "memory" effect
    > common to many batteries. If I recharge it before it is fully
    > discharged, will it develop the memory effect reducing the effective
    > use time?

    No, the "memory effect" is pretty much limited to NiCad technology. Lithium
    and NiMH don't have the problem. That said, before buying a camera with a
    proprietary Lithium rechargeable battery, consider what you will do in a few
    years when the battery dies and you need to replace it. Will you be able to,
    or is your camera junk at that stage because you can't find a replacement
    battery?

    gr, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Marc P.

    JohnO Guest

    "gr" <> wrote:

    >. That said, before buying a camera with a
    > proprietary Lithium rechargeable battery, consider what you will do in a

    few
    > years when the battery dies and you need to replace it.

    Uh, I'd buy a new one? You think?

    >Will you be able to,
    > or is your camera junk at that stage because you can't find a replacement
    > battery?

    This is always a silly argument. Speaking about the Canon battery (or any
    brand) even when that particular manufacturer stops making them (or putting
    their name on them) other companies continue to do so, proprietary or not,
    lithium or not.

    I've got a cordless drill, I'm guessing one of the first ones made (it's
    old). No one in the area has a battery for it but a quick search online
    gives me any number of sources.

    Same goes for the battery that went in my huge VHS video camera from 20
    years ago (that battery was as big as todays video cams)

    I never see anyone carrying one of those big old VHS cameras around
    anymore but batteries are still available after 20 years. 20 years from now,
    do you think most people will be still using todays technology (geez, will
    they be in two years?) but the batteries will more than likely be available.

    The argument you use could be made for ANY consumable items ... will LP's
    still be available? 8 tracks? Compact Flash? floppy disks? What ever
    happened to the 5-1/4" disks? If you look, they are still around ...
    somewhere.

    But back to the lithium battery ... wrongly worrying about them being
    available years down the road is hardly a reason not to take full advantage
    of how great they are now. (I'm still using one of my Sony Info Lithiums I
    bought in Feb 99).

    JohnO, Jul 23, 2003
  5. Marc P.

    Jim Townsend Guest

    gr wrote:

    > No, the "memory effect" is pretty much limited to NiCad technology. Lithium
    > and NiMH don't have the problem. That said, before buying a camera with a
    > proprietary Lithium rechargeable battery, consider what you will do in a few
    > years when the battery dies and you need to replace it. Will you be able to,
    > or is your camera junk at that stage because you can't find a replacement
    > battery?

    Proprietary batterys may be a problem for some digicams.

    But.. the BP-511 that goes in the 10D was also used in the Pro90, G1, G2, G3,
    G5 and I think the D30 and D60. The BP-512 battery that is still used in some
    Canon camcorders fits the later versions of these cameras as well. It's a
    workhorse battery for Canon.

    It will be a *long* time before this battery is out of production :)

    Jim Townsend, Jul 23, 2003
  6. Marc P.

    dslr Guest

    Jim Townsend wrote:

    > gr wrote:
    >
    > > No, the "memory effect" is pretty much limited to NiCad technology. Lithium
    > > and NiMH don't have the problem. That said, before buying a camera with a
    > > proprietary Lithium rechargeable battery, consider what you will do in a few
    > > years when the battery dies and you need to replace it. Will you be able to,
    > > or is your camera junk at that stage because you can't find a replacement
    > > battery?

    > Proprietary batterys may be a problem for some digicams.
    >
    > But.. the BP-511 that goes in the 10D was also used in the Pro90, G1, G2, G3,
    > G5 and I think the D30 and D60. The BP-512 battery that is still used in some
    > Canon camcorders fits the later versions of these cameras as well. It's a
    > workhorse battery for Canon.
    >
    > It will be a *long* time before this battery is out of production :)

    And when it is, the chances are the cameras will either be long dead or
    consigned to the "old cameras" cupboard.
    Failing that, I'll just sort out a suitable power source and hook it up
    to the charger adapter lead that came with my D30.

    --
    regards,
    dslr

    dslr, Jul 23, 2003
  7. Marc P.

    gr Guest

    "dslr" <> wrote

    > > It will be a *long* time before this battery is out of production :)

    > And when it is, the chances are the cameras will either be long dead or
    > consigned to the "old cameras" cupboard.

    Perhaps. Maybe I'm just jaded because I've found that the lithium
    rechargables really don't last too long. My laptop uses one, and if I'm
    lucky I get about 2 years of use out of one. The price of replacements is
    insane. Give me a standard solution with AAs or something anytime. I'll
    gladly accept the extra weight.

    > Failing that, I'll just sort out a suitable power source and hook it up
    > to the charger adapter lead that came with my D30.

    Which pretty much negates the whole purpose of the lithiums. That is,
    they're light and compact.

    I just hate the thought of throwing away a perfectly good camera, because I
    either can't get a replacement battery or it costs more than the camera is
    worth. To each his own.

    gr, Jul 23, 2003
  8. Marc P.

    dslr Guest

    gr wrote:

    > "dslr" <> wrote
    > > >
    > > > It will be a *long* time before this battery is out of production :)

    > > And when it is, the chances are the cameras will either be long dead or
    > > consigned to the "old cameras" cupboard.

    > Perhaps. Maybe I'm just jaded because I've found that the lithium
    > rechargables really don't last too long. My laptop uses one, and if I'm
    > lucky I get about 2 years of use out of one. The price of replacements is
    > insane. Give me a standard solution with AAs or something anytime. I'll
    > gladly accept the extra weight.

    I'm fairly sure that I'd pay more for an AA solution thanfor a
    third-party LiIon BP511 equivalent battery, even if it only lasted one
    year ;-)

    > > Failing that, I'll just sort out a suitable power source and hook it up
    > > to the charger adapter lead that came with my D30.

    > Which pretty much negates the whole purpose of the lithiums. That is,
    > they're light and compact.

    Agreed - it would only be as a last resort, however.

    --
    regards,
    dslr

    dslr, Jul 23, 2003

  9. > I just hate the thought of throwing away a perfectly good camera, because

    > either can't get a replacement battery or it costs more than the camera is
    > worth. To each his own.

    It is a reasonable concern. You could be orphaned at some point in the
    future. One would think, with a camera as popular as the 10D, that this is
    unlikely. Another thing to feed your paranoia is repair. It too might not
    be available in the future. We plunk down big bucks and detest the concept
    of a short life for our toys. This is one of the down sides of high tech.

    Charles Schuler, Jul 23, 2003
  10. Marc P.

    Michalkun Guest

    (Marc P.) wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just wondering if the battery in the 10D has the "memory" effect
    > common to many batteries. If I recharge it before it is fully
    > discharged, will it develop the memory effect reducing the effective
    > use time?

    I believe that one is a lithium battery and it shouldn't have it.

    Michalkun, Jul 23, 2003
  11. Marc P.

    deggers Guest

    only Ni- Cd batteries have memory better to use
    Ni- MH they last longer and no memory

    deggers, Jul 24, 2003
  12. Marc P.

    gr Guest

    "Charles Schuler" <> wrote

    > It is a reasonable concern. You could be orphaned at some point in the
    > future. One would think, with a camera as popular as the 10D, that this

    is
    > unlikely. Another thing to feed your paranoia is repair. It too might

    not
    > be available in the future. We plunk down big bucks and detest the

    concept
    > of a short life for our toys. This is one of the down sides of high tech.

    Agreed. Maybe my paranoia of proprietary batteries is moot. Most likely, by
    the time the battery fails, I will upgrade the camera anyway. However, there
    will eventually come a day that digital cameras are high quality (image and
    durability), compact, flexible, and reasonably priced. When that day comes,
    I'll likely buy my last camera. (I've had the same 35mm camera for 20 years,
    and it still serves all my film needs.) I'll certainly want a
    non-proprietary battery system for such a camera.

    gr, Jul 24, 2003
  13. Marc P.

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <bfmrko$g6gdh$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Perhaps. Maybe I'm just jaded because I've found that the lithium
    > rechargables really don't last too long. My laptop uses one, and if I'm
    > lucky I get about 2 years of use out of one. The price of replacements is
    > insane. Give me a standard solution with AAs or something anytime. I'll
    > gladly accept the extra weight.

    The BP-511 is about $40. If mine lasts me two years, I think I will have
    gotten my money's worth out of it.

    --
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Jul 24, 2003